Join our Starkweather East Branch Springs tour April 2, 2011, 10 am (an hour or so)

  • john steines
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 22, 2011
      Hello, I will be leadign a watershed tour of the Springs site on April
      2 @ 10 am. We'll meet at the parking lot just south of 2080 Zeier
      Road (formerly Burlington Coat Factory, now I think it is a Savers),
      and cross the street from there ( http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=ml
      ). This is just southeast of East Towne complex.

      Friends of Starkweather Creek is working with the City of Madison on a
      restoration plan for this site. IF you are trying to place the
      location (and link doesn't work), it is along Zeier Road north of Lien
      Rd/Thompson roundabout and south of East Spring Road junction with
      Zeier. There are no exits off of that stretch of road between these
      intersections (at this time). Expect some brush and wet feet.
      The creek is more natural here than most anywhere in watershed, with a
      pebble bottom, and is fairly shallow. We will look at restored and
      remnant wetland and the spring pond. Hope you can join us. Time
      length is probably not longer than an hour or so, depending on
      interest in examining adjacent sites. I'm flexible if you are.

      Thanks. j
    • john steines
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hello, just a reminder:  This tour is on!  See you in the am.  j

        Hello, I will be leading a watershed tour of the Springs site on April

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2, 2011
          Thanks to the great group who joined us this morning for a Starkweather Creek tour of the Zeier Rd creek crossing to spring pond section.

          There was interest expressed in touring the next section downstream - the triangle from Zeier Rd to Lien Rd, including an examination of the Easte Towne drainage system (~6 foot pipe) which dumps directly into Starkweather Creek.  I'm happy to lead a tour to both sites or any other site, later in April if there is interested parties would  like to attend.

          You can email me directly if you like or respond to the Starkweather listserve.  Thanks.  j