Friends of Starkweather Creek Annual Membership Meeting Oct 29, 7 pm Goodman CC

  • john steines
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2009
      Hello,

      the Friends of Starkweather Creek (FSC) Annual Membership meeting is
      scheduled for Thursday, October 29th at 7 pm at the Goodman Community
      Center.  Please join us for short presentations on this past years
      efforts, and discussion of our future efforts.  We need your help to
      shape that future.

      Thanks.

      John Steines, Doug Johnson, Co-chairs

      http://starkweatherfriends.org/index.asp

      The mission of the Friends of Starkweather Creek is to work for a
      healthy urban stream and to benefit the community through stewardship,
      education, and advocacy

      About Starkweather Creek

      The Starkweather is a largely urban stream with two main branches. Its
      watershed is much of the eastern and northern areas of the City of
      Madison, as well as some Town of Burke and Town of Madison lands.

      Years of neglect and misuse have resulted in a highly degraded stream
      habitat. Increasingly larger areas of impervious surfaces in the city,
      such as parking lots, rooftops and streets, result in the constant
      washing of pollutants and debris into the creek. Lack of adequate
      infiltration opportunities for stormwater has contributed to a
      severely reduced base flow and only a few of the numerous historic
      springs within the watershed still function.

      The Friends of Starkweather Creek is a citizen’s group dedicated to
      the enhancement of the watershed's environmental quality. We seek to
      raise public awareness and appreciation of the creek through education
      and outreach to watershed residents, businesses and landowners and we
      will serve as advocates for sound watershed planning and management
      practices.

      We are proud to have won a grant in 2006 from the River Alliance of
      Wisconsin which will allow us to obtain computer hardware and software
      with which we will upgrade our record keeping procedures.

      Every year as part of Yahara Lakes Week, the Dane County Lakes and
      Watershed Commission recognizes individuals and organizations for work
      that they do to protect and improve water resources. FSC was a 2004
      winner!