FSC - Volunteers needed

  • Doug Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2008

      Hello,

      three upcoming volunteer opportunities:

      1. This Saturday, June 28th, 9 am (meet below sledding hill)...clean up Olbrich shoreline garbage!

      Carl Landsness, project coordinator.

      The waves and high water have deposited a ton of garbage at the edge of high water mark which could be easily removed by team of dedicated workers and would significantly decrease floating summer lake and creek garbage load.

      Please bring rakes, gloves and bags if you have them.

      There will be additional bags and gloves available.

      2. July Fifth--- Saturday work day on Starkweather Drive approx 10:30 - noon or 1 pm. Meet on Starkweather Drive (just upstream from Thai Temple, and across from Garver north plat.

      From Ellie Rogers, project coordinator:

      Hi everybody -
      There were only 3 of us on Sat., but we pulled a lot
      of weeds and invasives and planted coneflowers from my garden!
      We are scheduling a workday for the 1st Sat. of the
      month for the next couple of months, at 10:30, for a
      couple of hours. There's still a lot of weeds and
      invasives to pull, we want to order some bark from the city, and hopefully plant more flowers.
      See you July 5th!
      Ellie

      3. Heistand Park/conservancy signage ad hoc committee needed to assist composition/ recommendations for signage on 'Invasive Species'
      and 'Starkweather Watershed' for Friends of Heistand park project.
      FSC will discuss at next board meeting!

      Contact jsteines@gmail. com is interested.

      From Garner McCandles, Project Coordinator:

      Tammy and John, I would love it if you (or your groups) would be interested in providing the information for signs about Invasive species and Starkweather Creek/ the watershed, respectively. Your groups seem to be the best sources for this info.
      Let me know,
      Garner

      A. 12 x 17 Main Idea: Invasive Species

      Image: garlic mustard... and...

      Text: invasive species;

      specific examples;

      how they got here;

      why they're bad

      B. 12 x 17 Main Idea: Starkweather creek (in front of park;
      not conservation area)

      Image: relevant identification images

      Text: aquatic species supported by