Re: Tribute to Mr. Braxton of Willy St. and MAWW

  • tammy bieberstein
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2 8:34 AM
      Hello friends,

      Here is an article I wrote for my neighborhood newsletter for this years official work days. Please feel free to use it for yours if you wish, (those of you who would write something for your nieghborhood newsletter).

      Pulling together,
      Tammy

      tammy bieberstein <weedoutwarrior@...> wrote:
      MAWW Gears Up For Another Year

      The Madison Area Weed Warriors are entering
      year 6 of serving our conservation parks and other
      green spaces, and each year we continue to grow.
      We now have 5 more warriors who are leading work
      parties this year, thus more options and opportunities
      to learn about why it is important to protect our
      biodiversity by working to control populations of alien,
      invasive plant species. Our main focus is Garlic Mustard,
      but there are others to learn about, and pull up, as well.

      This is a wonderful opportunity to commune with nature
      with your friends and family, or make new friends, and
      learn about our plants and fauna. More importantly, this
      is a chance to give back to, and take care of our planet
      for the sustainance she provides us on a daily basis.
      Anyone from six to ninety-six can participate, and all
      are invited to come to one, or more of our volunteer work
      parties, and take what you learn from them back to our
      own neighborhood to help protect our biodiversity from
      alien, invasive plant species here.

      Contact Tammy Bieberstein, 257-1329, for more info.

      Web sites on invasive plants:

      2006 MAWW Volunteer Dates
      All times 9 a.m.  - noon

      April 1    Heritage Sanctuary, 625 Meadowlark Dr.
      April 8    Sandburg Woods, 2902 Independence Ln.
                    Edna Taylor Park, 809-11 Woodlawn Dr.
      April 15  Heistand Woods, 4302 Milwaukee St., meet
                    at disc golf kiosk on Wittwer Rd.
      April 22  Edna Taylor Park, 802 Femrite Dr.
                    Elvehjem Sanctuary, 1202 Painted Post Dr.
                    Cherokee Marsh, 6098 N. Sherman Ave.
                    Heritage Sanctuary, 625 Meadowlark Dr.
                    Sandburg Woods, 2902 Independence Ln.
      April 29  Turville Woods, 1155 Olin-Turville Court
      May 6     Elvehjem Sanctuary, 1202 Painted Post Dr.
                    Edna Taylor Park, 809-11 Woodlawn Dr.
      May 13   Owen Conservation Park, 6021 Old Sauk Rd.
                    Cherokee Marsh, 6098 N. Sherman Ave.
                    Sandburg Woods, 2902 Independence Ln.
      May 20   Heistand Woods, 4302 Milwaukee St., meet at
                    disc golf kiosk on Wittwer Rd.
      May 27   Heritage Santuary, 625 Meadowview Dr.

      And last, but not least, a tribute to our fallen member:

                          Mr. James T. Braxton
                         March 28, 1918 - January 23, 2006

      Mr. Braxton, who has been an active member of the Willy St.
      community since the early 1950's, became the 'Greeter
      Extraordinaire' for the Madison Area Weed Warriors in 2004.
      He came out on most Saturday's for the last 2 years to take
      care of the volunteers who showed up to pull Garlic Mustard.
      With much love in his heart for people, and his community,
      he would get volunteers signed in, serve them goodies,
      and direct the late-comers to where we were working.

      Mr. Braxton was one of the most incredible persons I know.
      He was young at heart, and he had a highly evolved spirit.
      I will miss seeing him sitting in his front yard on Willy St.,
      or standing on the bridge over the Yahara, waving at, or
      chatting with all who passed by. May the memory of his
      kind spirit dance forever in our hearts.

      Tammy Bieberstein

      PhotoMail - it's free and works with your Yahoo! Mail.

      PhotoMail - it's free and works with your Yahoo! Mail.

      http://mail.yahoo.com