Re: [fscb] Raingardening websites

  • Karolyn Beebe
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      Steve wrote: A couple people will be gathering at my house, 2703
      > Oakridge, on Sat. May 11 at 9 a.m. to work on a rain garden. Anyone is
      > welcome to help out. Please let me know if you're coming. >

      Mornin Steve and All who have a rain gardening itch,

      Ill be in Connecticut May 3-14 so please report on the first
      raingarden in our east neck of the woods!

      Took a closer look at the websites. Some suggest rain gardens
      can be rather costly & complicated and maybe so, but Roger
      Bannerman paid big bucks to have his established and he's the
      first to say he's no gardener. I go for planting anything that will
      need watering anyway lower to cut back on the drinking water
      needed for them to survive. A level bottom lets the water spread
      across the bed and reach more roots.

      I'm slowing getting rain to 'sheet' off the sidewalk better and water
      the plants in the front terrace, instead channeling along the paths to
      the road. The raised beds I'm lowering were a result of years of
      following horticultural tridition and marketing advice. But horticulture
      is from the British Isles. So are lawn grasses and creeping charlie.

      This article seems to cover small city yards better than the others...
      Twin Cities Green Guide SAVE THE RAINWATER!
      by Dave Stack
      http://thegreenguide.org/gardening/rain.php

      Keedo