MY APPENDIX

  • lynnredcat10
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
      HI EVERYONE, ITS CAROLYN,
      I NEED YOUR ADVICE AGAIN. MY APPENDIX IS SICK. IT JUST BEGAN. I
      WENT TO THE DOC TO HAVE IT CONFIRMED AND HE SAID IT NEEDS TO BE
      REMOVED OR IT COULD BURST. IM IN SOME PAIN ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND I
      HAVE AN ELEVATED WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT (FROM MY BLOOD TEST), A 102 D
      TEMP AND NO APPETITE, CAN'T SLEEP MUCH, CHILLS AND SWEATS. HE WANTED
      TO SCHEDULE ME FOR SURGERY TODAY BUT I WANTED TO GO HOME AND SEE IF
      MAYBE I COULD GET SOME ADVICE FROM ALL OF YOU FIRST. IF I GO ON A FAST
      AND DO NOTHING BUT LIE STILL, CAN I BEAT THIS?
    • Janet West
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002

        Hi Carolyn,

        I know you don't even know me (yet), as I have only lurked on the board.

        PLEASE have the surgery. If your appendix does burst, and the infected contents spill into your abdominal cavity, you have a very dangerous chance of dying from the peritonitis.

        My mother's mother died from peritonitis...she was only 27-years-old.

        Please don't risk it. If your appendix is near the bursting point, fasting and resting won't help.

        Please, PLEASE have the surgery. Sometimes we just must do what is best for us at the time.

        Take care and let us know how you're doing.

        (((((Carolyn)))))

        Janet

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
          CAROLYN,

          PLEASE CONTACT DR. BERNARR RIGHT AWAY!!!

          Here's how to contact him:

          Dr. Bernarr, D.C., D.D. God Healing, Inc. Natural Hygiene Society,
          Inc.
          P.O. Box 1523 Santa Monica California 90406 USA
          Telephone: 310-396-2914
          Web Site: http://www.healself.org
          E-mail: drbernarr@aol.

          Here's an article by him regarding medical intervention:

          WHY YOU SHOULD NOT GET A DIAGNOSIS
          By Dr. Bernarr, D.C., D.D.

          EXAMINATIONS & TESTS GENERALLY ARE EXPLOITATIONAL RACKETS
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote, "Ninety percent of the examining and
          testing of patients practiced today is commercially motivated. This
          is to say, it is a profitable racket...A full ninety percent of the
          laboratory testing that is done, is done for the money that is in it
          and not because it has any value...When cause is not removed there is
          no reason why the sick should recover. No amount of elaborate studies
          of pathology and expensive examinations and laboratory tests ever
          leads to removal of cause."
          EVERY DIAGNOSTICIAN WILL GUESS & GIVE YOU A DIFFERENT DIAGNOSIS
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "Diagnosis is largely a matter of
          guesswork, as everyone who has had experience with physicians knows
          well. Every physician that a sufferer visits, diagnoses his disease
          differently, so that if he goes to twenty physicians he will have
          twenty diseases. I say, with a knowledge of the unity of disease,
          that all diagnoses are wrong...There are no competent diagnosticians
          and there can be none."
          DIAGNOSES ARE WRONG BECAUSE THEY DON'T ELIMINATE CAUSES
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "Examinations and tests begin at the wrong
          end and lead to confusion and mischief. Due to the prevailing
          misconceptions about disease, these examinations and tests lead to
          the treatment of symptoms and a total ignoring of causes. In the
          whole long list of methods of examining a patient there is not one of
          them that is, even remotely, a search for cause. Every one of them
          without exception, is a waste of time on effects, results, and end-
          products. They throw no light on the causes back of the effects."
          BLOOD TESTS ARE GENERALLY WORTHLESS
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "Blood tests mean the least of all. Nature
          has a habit of maintaining the integrity of the bloodstream at all
          costs. Morphine given by hypodermic injection will be thrown into the
          stomach. Other poisons are thrown into other tissues. They do not
          show up in the blood."
          WHAT IS DIAGNOSIS?
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "Diagnosis is the art and science of
          seeking for and analyzing effects and attaching Greek names to what
          one finds. The real purpose of diagnosis should be to ascertain the
          causes of the effects present. When cause is found, it may be removed
          or corrected, and the effects will cease. When effects are found,
          named and classified, they may be suppressed or removed, but the
          cause, uncorrected, will produce them all over again in even worse
          form."
          "Giving a name to a set of symptoms does not reveal their causes. It
          only leads to a stereotyped treatment...Diagnosis does not reveal
          anything-it only obscures things."
          TO HELP HEAL DISEASES, REMOVE CAUSES
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "When the true nature of disease and the
          essential unity of all so-called disease are understood, the
          conventional distinctions between 'diseases' lose their importance.
          They are seen not to be vital. It becomes apparent that a search for
          causes is more important than a search for effects; that rational
          care of the patient consists of
          (1) removal and correction of the impairing influences back of the
          degeneration and (2) supplying the body with those essential
          conditions of life which are necessary to regeneration. The
          disappearance of symptoms is only incidental.
          Diagnosis is not only faulty in application, it is fundamentally
          wrong in principle. If consists in finding the non-existent and in
          differentiating the undifferentiated. There are no competent
          diagnosticians and there can be none."
          TO HELP HEAL DISEASES, TOXEMIA MUST BE REMOVED
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "As the basic cause of all pathology is
          toxemia, it follows that the proper care of the sick is the removal
          of toxemia. Stated differently-the proper (Natural) Hygienic care for
          all conditions is to supply the conditions of health in keeping with
          the current needs and capacities of the sick person and to remove all
          the causes of disease. The invalid will gradually evolve back into
          health of his own accord."
          DIAGNOSES ARE GENERALLY INCORRECT
          Dr. Herbert Shelton wrote "The fact is obvious to any thinking
          individual that diagnosis is not a seeking for, and does not reveal,
          the cause of the patient's trouble and it fails to reveal proper
          means of remedying the trouble. It is high time the people were
          taught that the laboratory and x-ray are far from infallible."
          THERE IS ONLY ONE DISEASE-TOXEMIA
          Dr. Virginia V. Vetrano writes, "Of course, Dr. Shelton states all
          diagnoses are one hundred percent wrong, for looking at it (Natural)
          Hygienically, they are. Because of the unity of the body, and the
          unity of disease, there can be only one disease. However, we do know
          that certain organs or organ systems break down before others, in the
          presence of toxemia, causing impaired function. Naturally, it is
          sometimes a great advantage to know which organ system is not
          functioning properly."
          SINCE DIAGNOSES ARE WRONG, PATIENTS RECEIVE WRONG M.D. CARE
          Dr. Virginia V. Vetrano writes "Since 70% of the patients at the Mayo
          Clinic are misdiagnosed, then according to medical practice, 70% are
          receiving wrong medical treatment. Add to this all the mistakes in
          dosing patients in hospitals and you probably have a figure of about
          95% of patients receiving wrong medical care. Of course, (Natural)
          Hygienically, we know that 100% are receiving the wrong treatment."
          EXAMS SHOULD BE DONE ACCURATELY BY NATURAL HYGIENISTS
          Dr. Virginia V. Vetrano writes "The physical examination should not
          be just a cursory thing as done in most physicians' offices.
          Every organ should be explored by palpation, ausculation, percussion,
          and observation. By the use of these combined methods of searching
          and close observation, plus a good case history, most (Natural)
          Hygienists have much more knowledge about their clients than does the
          physician."
          DIAGNOSIS IS NOT NEEDED BECAUSE ALL DISEASE IS SAME-TOXEMIA
          Dr. Virginia V. Vetrano writes "Nor is it essential to have a correct
          diagnosis to begin (Natural) Hygienic care. This is because of the
          unity of the body, the unity of cause, the unity of disease, and the
          unity of care. The body is a unit and when it breaks down, it breaks
          down as a whole. Toxemia causes a multitude of symptoms because of
          the multitude of organs with a multitude of functions to become
          impaired."
          AUTOPSY EXAMS SHOW DIAGNOSES OF PATIENTS WHEN ALIVE,
          WERE WRONG
          Dr. Richard C. Cabot of Harvard University Medical School and
          renowned author of many medical textbooks on diagnosis, wrote that
          postmortem examinations, which he had made in a thousand cases, had
          disclosed the fact that the antemortem diagnoses had been correct in
          only 53% of cases.
          Autopsies made at Bellevue Hospital in New York, revealed that out of
          every hundred
          diagnoses made by physicians in charge, 47.7% were absolutely wrong.
          Postmortem findings at a leading hospital in London, England showed
          that they were wrong in 55% of their antemortem diagnoses, which
          means that more than half of their patients were being treated for
          diseases which they did not have.
          Martin L. Gross wrote in "The Doctors" that 70% of all diagnoses made
          at the Mayo Clinic ere wrong, according to the studies made at
          autopsy.
          4 OUT OF 5 DIAGNOSES ARE WRONG
          Dr. T. Swann Harding wrote in "Fads, Frauds and
          Physicians", "Certainly few would contend that the snap diagnoses of
          average general practitioners working alone are right in more than
          one case out of five. The error on cancer diagnosis with the best
          facilities at hand is 30 to 40%."
          Sir David Drummond, president of the Royal Society of Physicians and
          Surgeons of England, said, "In the practice of the average physician,
          diagnosis is wrong 80% of the time." He said that "postmortems
          exhibit the incorrectness of some 80% of prior diagnoses."
          NATURAL HYGIENE TEACHES THAT OUR BODIES ARE ALWAYS SELF-HEALING &
          ALWAYS DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN WE HAVE DISEASES
          Our bodies always do the right thing. We are passengers on the train
          of life, not the conductors. Since life began on earth, our God
          within, our inherent intelligence within each cell of our bodies, has
          learned to make the optimum adaptation and resolution, to any problem
          to which our bodies are subjected. Whatever stresses our bodies
          presently have, our ancestors have successfully learned how to
          successfully cope with such, previously. It is already built into our
          genes, our chromosomes and our DNA. Our inherent intelligence, if it
          chooses to produce disease, it does so to protect us. This disease,
          or whatever our pathology or symptomatology, helps us survive,
          despite our self-destructive lifestyle, thinking and spirituality.
          Our disease is for our protective benefit.
          Our disease will spontaneously heal, when the cause and need for our
          inherent intelligence, our God within, to produce disease, no longer
          exists.
          NATURAL HYGIENE TEACHES THAT EVERY PATHOLOGY PRODUCES A CONCOMITANT
          SYMPTOMATOLOGY
          Natural Hygiene teaches that every pathology and physiological
          dysfunction produces a concomitant symptomatology in all human
          beings. Only Natural Hygiene has had the insight to write about this
          inherent self-healing mechanism.
          This means, that your inherent intelligence, your God within, is
          always talking to you. If you listen to it and obey it, you will
          always have good health. So whenever you are ill, your inherent
          intelligence produces symptoms upon which you should concentrate,
          meditate on, pay attention to and feel, until you are asymptomatic,
          i.e., until your symptoms completely and permanently disappear. If
          and when you will do this, your illness and the cause of your
          illness, will always help heal completely and
          permanently.
          HOW TO MEDITATE PROPERLY TO HELP HEAL YOURSELF
          You should lie down, keep your body inactive, keep your eyes closed
          and concentrate, meditate, think on, keep your mind on your symptoms
          and discomforts, until your symptoms and distresses completely
          disappear. This is "feeling meditation".
          FEELING MEDITATION WILL HELP YOU HEAL YOURSELF
          Meditation is listening to the God within, the inherent intelligence.
          The God within is always talking to you, not with words, but with
          communicating with you via "feelings" throughout your body. Prayer is
          becoming silent, going within, aligning with and acknowledging God as
          All-in-All. Meditation and prayer are 2 steps with the same ultimate
          goal, communion with the God within. You are an _expression of the
          image and likeness of the God within. You are whole and perfect. As
          you are already perfect, all you need do is to commune with the God
          within, become aware of that perfection and become healed.
          AVOID TREATING YOUR SYMPTOMS. TO HEAL, REMOVE THE CAUSE
          To heal your health problems, you must remove its cause. To just
          treat your symptoms, does not permanently heal yourself. In treating
          your symptoms, you are just treating the effects, not the cause. Your
          symptoms exist for your protective benefit. Your symptoms are the
          healing and detoxifying reaction of your inherent intelligence, your
          God within. Your symptoms are always controlled by your inherent
          intelligence. This is why your symptoms should never be destroyed,
          interfered with and suppressed. The destruction, interference, and
          suppression of your symptoms, prevents these inherent, protective
          bodily defenses from healing yourself. If your inherent intelligence
          cannot heal your distresses, nothing and nobody else can. No
          destructive, interfering and suppressive therapy of any kind can heal
          you, but only your inherent intelligence can heal.
          THE BIBLE SAYS FASTING HELPS
          HEAL
          The Bible says, "Not by prayer alone but by fasting too." Fasting
          (abstinence of all food by water) immediately benefits one while
          mental calm produced by prayer is a great aid to restoration of poise.
          EVERYONE SHOULD FAST, IF YOU CAN, TO HEAL IMMEDIATELY & PERMANENTLY
          Everyone should be given a long fast as the surest and most rapid
          means of freeing the body of toxemia. A fast is necessary to restore
          nervous poise to one. Fasting usually leads to cessation of one's
          symptoms, permanently.
          EAT A CONSTRUCTIVELY BENEFICIAL DIET
          Eat as constructive and beneficial a diet as is possible. Eat only
          natural foods, that you would eat in the wild. Eat only fresh,
          unprocessed raw vegan foods that are palatable to you and that agree
          with you, with all the essential minerals and essential nutrients.
          Every bit of cooking and processing destroys vitamins, enzymes,
          minerals, nucleic acids, chlorophyl and damages fats, making them
          indigestible. The fatty matter becomes a local irritant.
          HOW TO HELP HEAL YOURSELF OF ANY DISEASE
          Your body never does wrong things. We are passengers on the train of
          life, not the conductors. Your inherent intelligence, your God
          within, always does whatever is necessary to homeostatically help you
          optimumly survive and function. Your disease will spontaneously heal
          when the cause and need for your disease, no longer exists.
          Your disease is systemic in origin. Your body is enervated
          (exhausted) and has caused your bodily systems to be toxic. The
          causes of your enervating toxicosis are incorrect lifestyle,
          incorrect mentality and incorrect spirituality. Your entire body
          needs a physiological rest to optimumly heal your disease, completely
          and permanently. To help heal your disease, completely and
          permanently, you must stop all activities that cause enervation
          (exhaustion) and toxemia. The patient with the disease, should be
          taught how to eat natural, raw, unprocessed vegan foods, with all of
          the essential minerals and essential nutrients, that are palatable
          and that agree with the patient, exposure to pure air, drinking good
          water, progressive resistance exercise, air bathing and sunbathing,
          adequate sleep, feeling meditation, water fasting (physiological
          rest) when the patient is symptomatic and not genuinely hungry, i.e.,
          salivating for food. The patient should never do anything that does
          not improve the patient's physicality, mentality and spirituality.
          The patient should never do anything from which the patient must
          recover. The patient to help heal, should pursue conservation of
          sexual energy and pursue appropriate observation of all the other
          needs of life.
          HOW WE CAN HELP HEAL YOU VIA THE INTERNET
          If you are sick, contact us NOW. We will help heal you via the
          Internet. We have helped heal completely and permanently, many
          thousands of "hopelessly sick" people and animals, world-wide, via
          the Internet.
          Dr. Bernarr, D.C., D.D. God Healing, Inc. Natural Hygiene Society,
          Inc.
          P.O. Box 1523 Santa Monica California 90406 USA
          Telephone: 310-396-2914
          Web Site: http://www.healself.org
          E-mail: drbernarr@...
          P.S...CONTACT US & WE WILL PERSONALLY TEACH YOU HOW TO SELF-
          HEAL
          We will teach you how to have this oneness with your inherent
          intelligence, your God within, how to properly water fast, how to eat
          properly, how to exercise properly, how to concentrate, feel and
          meditate properly on the cause of your health problems and your
          health symptoms, how to properly hand touch yourself and other living
          beings, humans, animals, plants and environments, so as to help heal
          yourself and help heal other human beings, animals, plants and
          environments, how to airbathe and sunbathe properly, how to properly
          do things with your physical lifestyle, mentality and spirituality
          and how to help break your bad habits, so as to successfully heal
          yourself, other human beings, animals, plants and environments, of
          any kind of health problem, immediately, completely and permanently.

          Skeptical? Here's another article by him. Natural Hygiene, the
          knowledge of Nature's principles, always works! Many many people have
          successfully come through appendicitis without surgery, including
          some well known Natural Hygiene doctors:

          I BET ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT MY HEALING PROCEDURE ALWAYS WORKS
          By Dr. Bernarr, D.C., D.D.

          All pain, symptoms, dysfunction, illness and disease, are self
          limited, i.e., will heal by themselves, if you do not suppress your
          health problems, whether they be physical, mental and/or spiritual.
          All health problems when you first develop them are acute, and will
          self-heal within seconds, minutes, hours or days.
          If you suppress your acute health problems, i.e., interfere with its
          self-healing, you will develop a chronic health problem, which may
          exist for weeks, months, years or a lifetime. If you don't permit
          your chronic health problem to self-heal, it will exacerbate and
          eventually kill you.
          To help heal yourself, lie down, close your eyes and keep them
          constantly closed, while simultaneously concentrating, focusing your
          thoughts on, feeling and paying attention to your pain and other
          symptoms until they completely disappear. If you do this, you will
          help heal your health problem and the causes of your health problem,
          completely and permanently.
          I have successfully helped heal over 100,000 patients in this manner.
          I put my money where my mouth is. I will bet anyone, any amount of
          money, that anyone's health problems will completely and permanently
          heal, if they follow my suggested healing procedure, described above.
          I am prepared to place in escrow, any amount of money anyone chooses
          to bet. Whomsoever chooses to bet with me, must also be prepared to
          place an equal amount of money in escrow.
          I am so confident that this healing procedure always works, that I am
          willing at anytime, to bet any amount of money. I know that everyone
          can successfully help heal themselves, if they stop suppressing their
          symptoms.
          So everyone, put up your money or stop complaining that your health
          problem is "incurable".
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
            The appendix does not burst from appendicitis. The purpose of any
            inflammation--anything ending with "-itis" is inflammation--is for
            the purpose of extraordinary cleansing of the entire body, and the
            body is using one or more organs as a channel of elimination of
            toxins. The appendix is not a superfluous organ, it is important in
            our bodies, and filters/collects toxins to keep them out of the body,
            and the body may need to clean it out, it is important to the body to
            do so. The appendix is part of the digestive system, and our
            digestive system is considered "outside" the body, and the digestive
            system functions to take in nutrients to be absorbed by the body, and
            also to keep out toxins, so that they do not get absorbed into and
            threaten the internal organs.

            The only danger in inflammation is to disobey the body. Inflammation
            does not come from somewhere outside, it is totally autogenetic, it
            is created entirely by the body, for a specific purpose, to cleanse
            and heal the body of toxins which are threatening its existence.
            Inflammation never harms us, it is toxins that harm us, and that is
            why the body creates inflammation, to rid itself of the toxins that
            threaten its existence. When people don't understand what
            inflammation is, they do all kinds of things to try to interfere with
            it--they continue eating, they take drugs, they do not rest, instead
            running to doctors, and worrying, any number of practices that can
            harm the body. When the body is doing acute inflammation, fasting on
            water only, and total rest, continual fresh air, are imperative. That
            way the body can accomplish and complete the work it is trying to do.

            Why does the body do such acute inflammation? Why is there such a
            toxic load to get rid of, even in people who have begun to eat a much
            more healthful diet and taken up much more healthful practices? The
            more vital a body is, or becomes, as a result of youthful vigor, or
            decreasing the influx of toxins via food, the less that body will
            tolerate the toxic load that it is carrying around, the toxins which
            threaten its life. The body will institute an acute inflammation as
            the means to rid itself of these stored up toxins which threaten its
            health and life. Vital bodies do not tolerate a large toxic load,
            that is why babies and young children whose bodies are still full of
            energy and vitality, and are not carrying around as much toxins, get
            such acute inflammations from eating SAD diets--their bodies will not
            tolerate accumulations of toxins. Unfortunately, their bodies'
            attempts at cleansing and healing via inflammation are suppressed by
            drugs and surgery. One phenomenon that happens when we eat raw vegan,
            our optimal foods, is that as our bodies get more vital again, not
            only do our bodies institute inflammation of organs newly, but they
            often revisit the inflammations they began when we were children, to
            complete the cleansing and healing that were suppressed when we were
            so young. The real danger is in bodies which cannot do inflammation,
            which no longer have the vitality to launch a major inflammation,
            such as in the "old" people, and the "frail", their bodies are unable
            to cleanse and heal, and are valiantly heading toward obliteration
            from continuing to be bombarded by toxins from the SAD lifestyle,
            still hoping that somehow the person will get the message and stop
            the poisoning of the body so that they can recover their health. If
            the influx of toxins are stopped, usually the person can regain
            enough vitality to launch an inflammation to heal.

            Surgery and drugs are shocks to the body, always harmful, and can
            result in death. Surgery is nothing but cutting out parts of the
            body, it is barbaric, and cannot result in health. I am sorry,
            Carolyn, that I did not think to refer you to Dr. Bernarr at the time
            that you had your previous surgery, as it could and should have been
            averted, I have deeply regretted it. I hope that you will contact him
            this time and not opt for surgery.

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002

              We disagree, southladogs...

              The appendix DOES burst from the pressure caused by the gross infection, regardless of the cause of infection/inflammation. Had there been intervention PRIOR to reaching this stage, the infection most likely could have been alleviated without resorting to surgery. However, at the present stage, to allow it to go untreated OR to attempt natural intervention is very dangerous. In cases of advanced appendicitis, time is of the essence.

              Peritonitis is very real and potentially deadly, regardless of the root cause.

              I would never encourage anyone to have ANY surgery if problems can be remedied otherwise. Having been in the medical field for many years, I concur that MOST surgeries are unneccessary. Shock to the body? Yes. Last-ditch effort to avoid dire consequences - YES.

              I, too, wish you had referred Carolyn to Dr. Bernarr earlier, and he may still be able to help. However, if the bursting of Carolyn's appendix is very near, SOMETHING must be done NOW.

              --- In fruitarians@y..., "Janet West" wrote:
              >Hi Carolyn,
              I know you don't even know me (yet), as I have only lurked on the
              board.
              PLEASE have the surgery. If your appendix does burst, and the
              infected contents spill into your abdominal cavity, you have a very
              dangerous chance of dying from the peritonitis.
              My mother's mother died from peritonitis...she was only 27-years-old.
              Please don't risk it. If your appendix is near the bursting point,
              fasting and resting won't help.
              Please, PLEASE have the surgery. Sometimes we just must do what is
              best for us at the time.
              Take care and let us know how you're doing.
              (((((Carolyn)))))
              Janet

            • Werner
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                Yes!
                by all mean do a water fast for about two weeks and your symptoms should subside.  Before I heard of raw foods and fruits lifestyle, I too was a victim of the doctors and they removed my appendix.  Now I don't go anywhere near any doctors.
                In health ... Werner.

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                  I do not doubt that the appendix can burst, but it does not and will
                  not, if the body is fully cooperated with. The risk is that people do
                  not understand and so do not heed the demands of the body. The body,
                  via the inflammation, is healing itself, cleansing itself. The body
                  does not do any of it so that the appendix will burst, the body does
                  not cause the appendix to burst, and does not allow it to if
                  cooperated with. Dire consequences can only occur when the body is
                  not cooperated with, when the body is foiled in its efforts--when the
                  body's efforts are interfered with, the body keeps increasing and
                  accelerating its symptoms--such as elevating temperature ever higher,
                  increasing the swelling and pain, etc. When further not cooperated
                  with, then things can get even more serious, but only due to the
                  thwarting of the body's efforts. When the body begins to be fully
                  cooperated with, symptoms begin to subside, and the inflammation can
                  progress in an orderly fashion, as the body accomplishes and
                  completes its cleansing/healing.

                  Janet, we do disagree on the surgery, but I am glad that you too feel
                  hope that Dr. Bernarr can help Carolyn. I hope that she contacts him
                  right away.

                  Zsuzsa

                  --- In fruitarians@y..., "Janet West" <jjjjwest@h...> wrote:
                  > We disagree, southladogs...

                  The appendix DOES burst from the pressure caused by the gross
                  infection, regardless of the cause of infection/inflammation. Had
                  there been intervention PRIOR to reaching this stage, the infection
                  most likely could have been alleviated without resorting to surgery.
                  However, at the present stage, to allow it to go untreated OR to
                  attempt natural intervention is very dangerous. In cases of advanced
                  appendicitis, time is of the essence.

                  Peritonitis is very real and potentially deadly, regardless of the
                  root cause.

                  I would never encourage anyone to have ANY surgery if problems can be
                  remedied otherwise. Having been in the medical field for many years,
                  I concur that MOST surgeries are unneccessary. Shock to the body?
                  Yes. Last-ditch effort to avoid dire consequences - YES.

                  I, too, wish you had referred Carolyn to Dr. Bernarr earlier, and he
                  may still be able to help. However, if the bursting of Carolyn's
                  appendix is very near, SOMETHING must be done NOW.
                • Greg Quinn
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                    What is the actual function of the appendix? Everyone tells me it has no use
                    and makes no difference if its in or out.

                    Sounds wrong, I don't thing nature would put something there that 'wasn't
                    meant to be used'

                    Greg

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 30, 2002
                      From http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov:70/askasci/zoo00/zoo00015.htm:

                      "The appendix is a tube of which one end is closed and the opens into
                      the cecum, that is the beginning of the large intestine. The appendix
                      occurs in men and in othe animals: higher apes, wombats, some rodents
                      and a few lower mammals.

                      The appendix has no known physiological function but probably
                      represents a degenerated portion of the cecum that, in ancestral
                      forms, aided in cellulose digestion. It is believed that the appendix
                      will gradually disappear in human beings as our diet does not include
                      cellulose no more. In the other animals, the appendix is much larger
                      and provides a pouch off the main intestinal tract, in which
                      cellulose can be trapped and be subjected to prolonged digestion."

                      So apparently we have been high cellulose eaters, like other animals
                      and our appendices have atrophied from non-use, since humans have not
                      eaten too much cellulose in modern times. If we eat cellulose, which
                      we as raw vegan food eaters may want to do, we have a use for the
                      appendix, it would seem.

                      The dictionary defines the cecum as: The large blind pouch forming
                      the beginning of the large intestine; the cavity in which the large
                      intestine begins and into which the ileum opens; "the appendix is an
                      offshoot of the cecum". The dictionary defines the ileum as: The
                      last, and usually the longest, division of the small intestine; the
                      part between the jejunum and large intestine.

                      We have an ileo-cecal valve, which is the doorway between the small
                      intestine and the large intestine--as mentioned, the ileum is the end
                      of the small intestine, and the cecum is the beginning of the large
                      intestine. The ileo-cecal valve opens only in one direction, so the
                      waste matter can go from the small intestine to the large intestine.
                      The dictionary defines the colon as: the part of the large intestine
                      between the cecum and the rectum; it extracts moisture from food
                      residues before they are excreted.

                      From http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/357.asp [Note from Zsuzsa:
                      this is a religious site, which I don't agree with, but it has some
                      good info which seems to be scientific]:

                      "If you put your trust in evolutionary based publications like the
                      1997 Encyclopædia Britannica, you would think of your appendix this
                      way:

                      The appendix does not serve any useful purpose as a digestive organ
                      in humans, and it is believed to be gradually disappearing in the
                      human species over evolutionary time. 1

                      However, even in 1976 medical textbooks were beginning to admit the
                      appendix had functions:

                      The appendix is not generally credited with significant function;
                      however, current evidence tends to involve it in the immunologic
                      mechanism.2

                      And in a 1995 medical textbook, the authors are emphatic about the
                      function of the appendix:

                      The mucosa and submucosa of the appendix are dominated by lymphoid
                      nodules, and its primary function is as an organ of the lymphatic
                      system.

                      There are, according to Wiedersheim, no less than 180 vestigal [sic]
                      structures in the human body, sufficient to make of a man a veritable
                      walking museum of antiquities. Among these [is] the vermiform
                      appendix . These and numerous other structures of the same sort can
                      be reasonably interpreted as evidence that man has descended from
                      ancestors in which these organs were functional. Man has never
                      completely lost these characters; he continues to inherit them though
                      he no longer has any use for them.5

                      Today, the appendix is recognised as a highly specialised organ with
                      a rich blood supply. This is not what we would expect from a
                      degenerate, useless structure.

                      The appendix contains a high concentration of lymphoid follicles.
                      These are highly specialised structures which are a part of the
                      immune system. The clue to the appendix's function is found in its
                      strategic position right where the small bowel meets the large bowel
                      or colon. The colon is loaded with bacteria which are useful there,
                      but which must be kept away from other areas such as the small bowel
                      and the bloodstream.

                      Through the cells in these lymphoid follicles, and the antibodies
                      they make (see box below), the appendix is `involved in the control
                      of which essential bacteria come to reside in the caecum and colon in
                      neonatal life'.6 Like the very important thymus gland in our chest,
                      it is likely that the appendix plays its major role in early
                      childhood. It is also probably involved in helping the body recognize
                      early in life that certain foodstuffs, bacterially derived
                      substances, and even some of the body's own gut enzymes, need to be
                      tolerated and not seen as `foreign' substances needing attack.

                      The appendix, in conjunction with other parts of the body which also
                      contain cells called B-lymphocytes, manufactures several types of
                      antibodies:

                      IgA immunoglobulins, involved in surface or mucosal immunity. These
                      are vital in maintaining the protective barrier between the bowel and
                      the bloodstream.

                      IgM and IgG immunoglobulins, which fight invaders via the
                      bloodstream.

                      The appendix is in fact part of the G.A.L.T. (Gut Associated Lymphoid
                      Tissue) system. The lymphoid follicles develop in the appendix at
                      around two weeks after birth, which is the time when the large bowel
                      begins to be colonized with the necessary bacteria. It is likely that
                      its major function peaks in this neonatal period.

                      Our body has been brilliantly designed, with plenty in reserve, and
                      the ability for some organs to take over the function of others. Thus
                      there are a number of organs which everybody agrees have a definite
                      function, but we can still cope without them. Some examples:

                      Your gall bladder has a definite function — it stores bile from the
                      liver, and squirts it into the intestine as required to help with the
                      digestion of fat. However, it can be removed and the body will cope —
                      for instance, by secreting more bile continuously.

                      You can cope with having a kidney out, because there is still enough
                      kidney tissue left in the other one. (In the same way, a part of the
                      Gut Associated Lymphoid Tissue, which includes the appendix, can be
                      removed, and the remaining lymphoid tissue will usually be enough to
                      carry on the total function). You won't suffer from having your
                      thymus out (if you're an adult), because this extremely important
                      gland, which `educates' your immune cells when you are very young, is
                      then no longer required. This is likely to be very relevant to the
                      appendix. [Note by Zsuzsa: I have heard that the thymus does have a
                      function, even in adults, the function is just not understood.]

                      In addition, it is clear that appendicitis is only common in
                      countries where a very highly refined modern diet is eaten. Where
                      people eat a high proportion of vegetables, fruit and unrefined
                      cereals, (in other words, have a high fibre diet), appendicitis is
                      actually very rare. The original `Genesis diet' for which we were
                      designed7 was obviously much more like that."

                      Another religious site, but with the following great tidbit
                      http://www.primepropertyofga.com/aog/ec/ec186.htm:

                      "Now that considerable research has been done on the appendix, it has
                      been found to be a complex and highly specialized organ. While there
                      are still a lot of things we do not understand about the human
                      appendix, scientists believe it has important functions in the
                      following areas: embryological, physiological, microbiological
                      (bacteriological), biochemical, immunological. For instance, consider
                      the following physiological function: The goblet cells which line the
                      appendix and the adjacent caecum and colon secrete a special mucus
                      which can be regarded as an antibacterial paint controlling the
                      organisms which develop in the bowel, without which the body cannot
                      truly utilize its food. Thus, most doctors now say that the appendix
                      should not be removed."

                      Finally, here is a site that is also religiously oriented, but this
                      one is written by a surgeon, and it has much really interesting,
                      really significant info about the appendix, not only in humans but in
                      animals as well. I think this may be the most definitive and detailed
                      info of all:
                      http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/magazines/tj/docs/v3n1_appen
                      dix.asp -- be sure to check it out for a real education on the
                      appendix.

                      Zsuzsa