Re: Motivating your children to eat healthier

  • kraemerbetsy
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
      Hi! I was wondering what kind of snacks you give your kids? I'm
      working on doing the same, but would love suggesstions on different
      things. They have yogurt, fruit and string cheese, but I want to
      change it up and stay healthy. By the way, I'm brand new to the
      group and I'm so glad I joined. Thank you for any input!!
      Betsy

      --- In fruitabuparents@yahoogroups.com, "wjennyjedi" <wjenny@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In fruitabuparents@yahoogroups.com, "Kirstie" <kirstie_mo@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > It's so cheap & easy for kids to grab fast foods & high-sugar
      > snacks.
      > > How do you motivate your children to make healthy choices?
      > >
      > We keep only healthy snacks at home and we even bring them in the
      car
      > so when we're on the go, we don't cave to the "fast food" attacks.
      In
      > fact after watching Supersize Me, we gave up fast food for good.
      The
      > parent has to really be the role model and tell the kids why
      they're
      > making the healthier food choices. Read the book Chew on This or
      Fast
      > Food Nation. Make it a family learning experience.
      > That has helped us!
      > shelley

    • Shelley Jenny
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007

        We found this chocolate powder that is sweetened with stevia and we love to put a bit on some almonds to coat them and snack on those.  I also like roasting pumpkin seeds with some olive oil and spices in the oven.  Yum!  We like homemade popsicles – you can just put some watermelon and a bit of honey in the blender and then freeze.

        I have learned a lot of neat tips from Dr. Sears.  www.askdrsears.com  That’s where I found out about Juice Plus+!    So awesome – 17 different fruits, veggies and grains put in a capsule, chewable or gummie!  I snack on the chewables – very healthy and tasty…

        Hope this helps!

        Shelley Jenny

        Health Educator

        281-353-1539

        www.juiceplus.com/+sj35488

        "Are you investing in your wellness or are you just subsidizing your illness?" -Dr. Mitra Ray, Ph.D.

        wrote:

        > --- In fruitabuparents@ yahoogroups. com,
        "Kirstie" <kirstie_mo@ >
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > It's so cheap & easy for kids to grab fast foods & high-sugar
        > snacks.
        > > How do you motivate your children to make healthy choices?
        > >
        > We keep only healthy snacks at home and we even bring them in the
        car
        > so when we're on the go, we don't cave to the "fast food"
        attacks.
        In
        > fact after watching Supersize Me, we gave up fast food for good.
        The
        > parent has to really be the role model and tell the kids why
        they're
        > making the healthier food choices. Read the book Chew on This or
        Fast
        > Food Nation. Make it a family learning experience.
        > That has helped us!
        > shelley

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • Kraemerfamily@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
          Thank you so much for the suggesstions!!  I will try them and check out that website :  )
        • SAM EMAD
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2007
            keep on doing the good work

            wrote:

            > --- In fruitabuparents@ yahoogroups. com, "Kirstie" <kirstie_mo@ >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > It's so cheap & easy for kids to grab fast foods & high-sugar
            > snacks.
            > > How do you motivate your children to make healthy choices?
            > >
            > We
            keep only healthy snacks at home and we even bring them in the
            car
            > so when we're on the go, we don't cave to the "fast food" attacks.
            In
            > fact after watching Supersize Me, we gave up fast food for good.
            The
            > parent has to really be the role model and tell the kids why
            they're
            > making the healthier food choices. Read the book Chew on This or
            Fast
            > Food Nation. Make it a family learning experience.
            > That has helped us!
            > shelley

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • treloarf
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2007
              Our family has tried something new & really seem to like it - we are
              using organic powders. The protein powder already includes a complete
              serving of multivitamins & minerals. We mix it w/some milk & add First
              Fruits & First Greens powder & the kids don't even realize their
              getting all their nutrients in a very tasty milkshake.

              It's so much easier than capsules & filling. The fruits & vegetable
              powders include marine complex vegetables which are about 50 times more
              potent than land vegetables and is absorbed immediately at the cellular
              level. All the products are 100% natural, no fillers & are diabetic
              safe. To get more info about Dr. Organics and their products, you can
              look at my website www.drorganics.com/6359892.
            • Kirstie
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 12, 2007
                Somewhat useful; however, this site is intended to focus on helping our
                kids EAT healthier overall, not on other supplements or products.

                Let's try to stay focused on food choices and veer away from product
                promotion. Otherwise, this site will simply be seen as a spam /ad
                group, rather than a place for parents to exchange valuable nutrition &
                motivation tips.
              • Bob
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 29, 2007
                  Actually they eat fairly healthy snacks most of the time. I guess the
                  trick was to stay on them as they grew up reminding them that the
                  occasional treat is OK, but not to over do things