630Re: Nutrition With a Lower Cost

  • meilena_h
    Apr 13, 2008

      What a great idea about making the granola up, I just got a recipe booklet from http://greensmoothiegirl.com/ which had some great recipes for a lot of different natural
      items that aren't so obscure that you can't find them anywhere... there are recipes for
      granola included there as well. I don't think I have permission to actually post the recipe
      because it is copyrighted in the ebook, but if you sign up for the free newsletter there,
      you can get different tidbits and recipes that way.

      I had been so frustrated with the "gourmet" nutrition recipes-- some ingredients are not
      practical and are high in cost to buy or have to be imported...so I certainly appreciate
      when I find something that is a practical guide.

      Can't wait to see your recipes as always :D

      --- In fruitabuparents@yahoogroups.com, "Colleen Fitzpatrick" <freedom.cmf@...> wrote:
      > Hi Meilena,
      > Shopping at Cosco lets me buying some items in larger quantities then I can "make"
      some of my own mixes such as the old Chex Mix. But making it myself, I can make it my
      own way and add my own things such as more raisins, wheat chex, other cereals, and
      peanuts. I keep things like this in airtight containers and haven't had a problem. Living in
      the dry Colorado climate helps I'm sure. I also mix up my own granola this way and it
      goes a lot further when I add my own ingredients. With the granola I usually add dried
      fruits. Of course his favorite is the dried pineapple! I do add those but I'll take one of the
      chunks and cut it into 4 pieces. I also do that with the dried apricots. This way the flavor
      is throughout and one piece goes a long way. He also eats peanut butter on crackers with
      a splash of honey. At home we can make shakes and I keep a large bag of frozen mixed
      berries in the freezer for the occasion. In the shake we can add plain yogurt (which when
      bought in a quart is not expensive) honey and always spirallina. I usually have a banana
      or two that I keep in the freezer for banana bread that I can put half in too. It comes out
      a funky purple, but he likes it. I'm able to cook and bake a lot more now that I have a
      kitchen with room. I'll post a recipe or two.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic