Would this freeze?

  • colleen440
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
      There is a mushroom barley soup I've been wanting to try but I'm the only one in the family that would be likely to eat it. I'd like to freeze the left-overs for lunches. The ingredients are:

      beef broth
      water
      pearl barley
      dried thyme
      olive oil
      carrot
      celery
      sliced mushrooms
      garlic

      I've never frozen anything with mushrooms so I'm hoping for advice.

      Thanks!
    • Sarah L
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
        The mushrooms will work fine as long as they're cooked.  I don't like them frozen on their own, but in soup they work out well for me.  The barley will soak up your liquid though during the thawing process, so be prepared to add more broth when reheating.
      • COOLCATPANTHER
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
          I would sure freeze it. I don't usually do mushrooms and have no idea about
          those. However, freezing versus it going bad before you eat it == seems
          freezing is worth the risk. Then you know for next time around.

          If you want what I got, do what I did to get it.

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2011
            It should be fine. I make big batches of mushroom stew and freeze it

            Dorie

          • adesah
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
              I'd sure love to see that recipe!

              Adesa in VA

              --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "colleen440" <quantrells@...> wrote:

              > There is a mushroom barley soup I've been wanting to try but I'm the only one in the family that would be likely to eat it. I'd like to freeze the left-overs for lunches. The ingredients are:
              >
              > beef broth
              > water
              > pearl barley
              > dried thyme
              > olive oil
              > carrot
              > celery
              > sliced mushrooms
              > garlic
              >
              > I've never frozen anything with mushrooms so I'm hoping for advice.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • ggmsmolly
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 7, 2011
                Absolutely Colleen.