Re: [frozen-assets] Electric Roaster

  • Andrea Reynolds
    Message 1 of 27 , Oct 26, 2011
      I would love to know how this works out. I have only done ham and turkeys
      in them. Thanks, Andrea

      On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Mary <claimsmom@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Has anybody ever used a large (18-22qt) electric roaster to do soups or
      > chili in for freezing? It is that time of year where we would like to have
      > more soups and chili in the freezer but only so much stove-top space and
      > crockpots. I cook with 2 friends for a weekend about every 8 weeks and we
      > stock our freezers. Just wondering if anyone has tried this with success.
      > Thoughts, ideas and recipes appreciated!

    • Courtney
      Message 2 of 27 , Oct 26, 2011
        --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "Mary" <claimsmom@...> wrote:

        > Has anybody ever used a large (18-22qt) electric roaster to do soups or chili in for freezing? ... Just wondering if anyone has tried this with success. Thoughts, ideas and recipes appreciated!

        I have done this in the past, and it works well, but you do have to watch the sides where the heating element is. The soup or chili does have a tendency to stick if you dont stir frequently enough. I do prefer my big stock pots, but if I didn't have them I would not hesitate to use my roaster. It also frees up stove space, and can even be used on the porch or another room which is a benefit because my kitchen is so tiny.
        Courtney
      • Mona
        Message 3 of 27 , Oct 26, 2011
          No recipe but I have used my nesco roaster to make spanish style chicken and dumplings as well as white chicken and dumplings. We also used it to make a huge batch of menudo.  It does make a huge amount of food. I do not know how well it all turns out when frozen tho.  Normally we only make those things once in a huge while.

          Mona in TX

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 27 , Oct 26, 2011
            I have used my nesco roaster oven for making soup stews for years. works out great. Love it.

            Mona in TX

            ________________________________

          • maggifamilyof5@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 27 , Oct 27, 2011
              Perfect use for the large roaster. I roast 4 chickens at a time all night- remove to cool enough to handle. I toss the bones and scraps back in with chopped vegies and herbs to simmer away. Strain and bag it up for the freezer to keep stock on hand. The shredded chicken gets bagged into quarts for recipes ( casseroles, tacos, chicken salad etc). I also use it to boil water if I'm doing large batches of ground meat for the freezer. Gramma uses it for her corn on the cob ( either for a crowd or freezing).

              --

              Amanda Maggi
               ~To Thine Ownself Be True~

            • Teresa Rouzer
              Message 6 of 27 , Oct 27, 2011
                I know people who make chili in their roasters all the time. Mine is only 6 qt. so I usually use the crock pot or a pot on my stove top. I don't see why other soups wouldn't simmer nicely in the roaster. You may have to adjust the temp dial to find what you want. I do know from experience that dumplings don't cook well in a roaster, at least for me. I needed a low boil to cook them for 20 minutes and the roaster wouldn't stay at that temp with the lid off.

                Teresa C. Rouzer
                Burlington, North Carolina

              • Kathy Kitson
                Message 7 of 27 , Oct 27, 2011
                  I've used one for soups, chili, chicken and dumplings, several meatloaves at a time, etc.

                  Mine seems to get hotter on the bottom than any of my crockpots though, so I put a heat resistant counter protector under it when we use it.

                  Don't try to move it after it's filled about half way or until after it has cooled.

                  Kathy

                • WAC
                  Message 8 of 27 , Oct 27, 2011
                    It should work just fine.  Just don't use heat that is too high.  I use my roaster for all sorts of large recipes.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Oct 31, 2011
                      I usually make my big batches of chili and chicken stock in my Nesco
                      Roaster. It is the biggest "pot" in my house and the cooking is very
                      even. I have a non-stick inner pan too, so it makes the clean up easy.
                      You should give it a try. I'm sure you'll be pleased the with results.

                      --
                      Wendy Van Camp
                      Indigoskye Bead Fashions
                      Message 10 of 27 , Nov 3, 2011
                        today I used my 12 quart NESCO roaster to make beef stew...and LOTS of beef . I simmered the meat, tomatoes, seasonings onions and garlic for about 4 hours then added carrots and green beans, about 45 minutes later added the potatoes. It's still cooling now so I can place in containers and freeze for lunch at work.

                        My 16 qt NESCO is also in use right now. I smoked 15 pounds of pork shoulder. got the internal temp to about 155 with a nice slow smoke of Apple and Oak wood. Then put the pork in the NESCO with some apple juice (wrapped most in foil to hold the moisture in for ease later). It will go low and slow to 195 degrees then turn the NESCO off and let it sit for two hours before I pull the pork.

                        I only make chili in my NESCO. Great thing as the heat is on the sides, not the bottom. Take them outside and cook the stews and soups so the house doesn't heat up or smell of onions.

                        Can you tell I'm into NESCO roasters? I now have 10 of them and live alone. Some have the air fan so it is a convection oven and browns the meat while it cooks, some older, some differet colors. I have the 4 qt which I rarely use, 6 qt, 12 qt and 18 qt. I use the 12 qt mostly. I'm single and live alone but figure if I'm going to make something I'll make a lot of it and freeze.

                      • Punknpoco@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Nov 4, 2011
                          I agree with others. Use your roaster for any big jobs and do, as someone
                          suggested, use low heat. I use mine to make big batches of Buffalo wings
                          for parties, and I love it too for making stock from large turkey
                          carcasses. When taking Buffalo wings to someone else's nearby home, the roaster
                          itself is a good way to transport the batch. It can then, if needed, be
                          plugged in on low to keep warm. I always have several containers of homemade
                          broth and stock frozen so I can add them to soups, stews etc. When I make
                          potato soup I occasionally add some of my chicken broth as part of its liquid;
                          potato soup does not usually contain chicken broth but it does enhance the
                          flavor. Pam

                        • maggifamilyof5@comcast.net

                            Message 13 of 27 , Nov 4, 2011
                              would you share your big batch wings recipe please? ty

                              On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 11:08 AM, <Punknpoco@...> wrote:

                              I use mine to make big batches of Buffalo wings
                              > for parties

                            • Mrs. Jon Moffett
                              Message 14 of 27 , Nov 11, 2011
                                I am going to buy a roaster, in the next week or so, is NESCO the only one you would buy? I feed a family of 9 so I was looking at it to do things like turkey and large pork loin. I love the idea of it sitting it outside. We live in Texas and it gets so hot in the summer you almost can't cook inside.

                                How big of one do you think I need? I have 4 crockpots :) one that has the 3 smaller crocks for sides and then eveytime they make a bigger one we buy it.

                                Thanks,
                                Amy

                                Sent from my iPad

                                On Nov 3, 2011, at 8:42 PM, tuzahu973@... wrote:

                                > Can you tell I'm into NESCO roasters? I now have 10 of them and live alone.

                              • Betty Russell
                                Message 15 of 27 , Nov 13, 2011
                                  When my husband was stationed in Germany, the range in the government
                                  apartment had a thermometer, but no thermostat. The gas had an on and off
                                  switch, not a control knob. You had to open the oven door to relight the
                                  oven when needed. Do I need to tell you what that does to cakes, bread, etc?
                                  I went over to the PX and purchased a Westinghouse roaster. I baked in it
                                  for the two years we were there. Since then, I have purchased several more.
                                  I furnish rolls for church and community dinners, a lot. I use the roasters
                                  to bake the bread. I am surprised by how many people never have thought of
                                  using them as an oven. I have learned to be careful to only plug one in to
                                  each circuit in a building. That means that I usually end up baking in one
                                  roaster at the back of the sanctuary at church when we are having a church
                                  dinner. It is surprising how the aroma of the bread baking shortens most
                                  sermons.
                                • so and sew
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Nov 13, 2011
                                    Our family is going to deep fry one turkey and cook another in the Nesco roaster. Can't speak for other brands but we love our Nesco.
                                    Mary in southern MS

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Nov 13, 2011
                                        Well, before I could read your replies I had one. I know other people see it as a blessing and I am very blessed but I mentioned I was looking to my husband and well, ask and you shall receive! My husband never let's me be without (sweet I know) but I was looking at which would be best and what I got was an Oster 22qt, that is bigger than I had seen. I look forward to trying it out.

                                        Amy

                                        Sent from my iPad

                                      • bearmaker65@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Nov 13, 2011
                                          Hi Amy,
                                          I have had several roasters in the last 20 years. My first was a Nesco and I did love it, and would have lasted till now, but for a boy turning the insert upside down and standing on it (I have a hunch it was more like jumping).
                                          The Nesco had the nicest accessories that you could order separately, but I never did, and the roasting rack had an extra removable piece so you could cook in pans on two levels if you wanted to.
                                          Other than that, to roast a turkey or a ham, or just to cook a huge pot of something, they all seemed to perform pretty much the same.
                                          For me it would depend on whether or not I wanted the extras.
                                          Courtney
                                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                                        • Lori Scott
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Nov 13, 2011
                                            I have a Hamilton Beach 17 qt Roaster and I love it! Have used it for
                                            making meals for our own family, as well as church dinners, etc. I do
                                            have a question for all of you that use them a lot more than I do....we
                                            will have 13 here for Thanksgiving, and I'm doing a turkey AND a ham. My
                                            plan is to do my turkey in my oven, and the ham in the roaster....I am
                                            hoping to rewarm some of the sides in the roaster next to the ham.....would
                                            this be possible?

                                          • tuzahu973@aol.com
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Nov 14, 2011
                                              the NESCO offers the air fan, which turns the roaster into a Convection Oven. With the air fan you get the nice brown on the turkey and the beautiful breads and rolls. I only turn the air fan on for this, the other times I leave it off. I have only Used NESCO as they've been around for ever and have such a good history.

                                              I buy some used ones off Craigslist and ebay. Also it seems the past few years Ace Hardware has NESCOS on sale before Thanksgiving, check them out and see if they are this year.

                                              My NESCOS are 4 qt, 6 qt, 12 qt and 18 qt. the 6,12 snd 18 all have the air fan feature.

                                            • Mrs. Jon Moffett
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Nov 14, 2011
                                                I just read this and thought oh my, I sound so sassy! Sorry sometimes it is hard to say what you are thinking in email. My husband is very sweet and I dare not say I like or want something out loud unless I really want it. So what I was trying to say was I had yet to decide which would be best for our needs and bam he came home with one sooooo, I hope I like it :) I have a pork loin I am going to cook either Tuesday or Wednesday so I will let you all know how that goes!!

                                                Amy

                                                Sent from my iPad

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                                                  First meal with the roaster = awesome!!!! I did a 7 lb pork loin, with rosemary olive oil, garlic, and white wine. My house smelled awesome!!!!!!! Oh and the pork was pretty good too! The plan was to have one meal as a loin then shred the rest for something else but it was so good we are going to just eat it :)

                                                  Thanks again for all the info.
                                                  Amy

                                                  Sent from my iPad

                                                • Karen Isham
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Nov 16, 2011
                                                    I have been wanting to get a roaster since my canning list has talked about using them to make tomato sauce, apple butter,etc. Now I know I will get one!

                                                    Thanks Amy!!

                                                    Karen in Ohio
                                                  • Debbie Scribner
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                                      I have a Rival 18 Qt. electric roaster that I got as a gift probably 7 or 8 years ago.I absolutely love it!!! I cook all kinds of things in it.It does take up a bit of counter space but it is totally worth it.I even do Thanksgiving turkey in it :)

                                                    • ggmsmolly
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Nov 17, 2011
                                                        I have a 22 quart electric roaster that I use for everything. My Thanksgiving Turkey for one as well as soups, stews, spaghetti sauce for crowd cooking. Just stir it frequently or the edges burn. Mine has the 3 separate wells that you can use as an option and it's perfect for side dishes for a crowd, or hot appetizers for a party.