Freezing 'browned' (not cooked) meat

  • Jan
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2011
      I have some crockpot recipes that call for the meat to be browned first. I would like to try making 'meal kits' for these recipes, where I prepare and freeze to be cooked later.

      My question is: Is it safe to brown (but not cook) the meat and then freeze it with the rest of the ingredients?

      Thanks,
      Jan
    • Sarah L
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 2 2:58 PM
        As far as I know that is NOT safe.  I believe if you're going to brown meat you are supposed to cook it thoroughly to kill any bacteria before freezing.

        However, I have several recipes like that as well, and I do make meal kits like you're talking about, but I never bother to brown the meat - either before freezing or after thawing...nor do I bother if I'm making it fresh.  I know this is generally an issue where people either insist it makes a difference or insist it doesn't, but I just prefer not to dirty another pan so I don't do it.  I personally have never noticed a big enough difference for me to mess with browning first.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2 5:59 PM
          Yes, it is safe to cook meat & then freeze it. Reheat after thawing.

        • Mona
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2 6:16 PM
            What my mother always told me was if you thaw meat then you have to fully cook it if you freeze it again.  So unless the meat was completely cooked I wouldn't freeze it. But i'd just simply cook the meat completely then freeze it and use it in the recipe as called for. I personally thing it would be ok that way, even in the crock pot.  ymmv

            Mona in TX

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3 1:19 PM

              You are correct and the USDA advises against it. I know a lot of people figure it doesn't matter because they are going to freeze the meat as soon as they brown it but they don't stop to consider how long that meat is going to sit in the danger zone (40-140 degrees) when the crockpot is bringing the food up to cooking temperature.
              Actually I know that a lot of crockpot manufacturers recommend against putting frozen foods in the crockpot and some simply warn against putting frozen meat in them.
              Here's the USDA link and the passage I'm referring to:
              http://www.fsis.usda.gov/fact_sheets/Ground_Beef_and_Food_Safety/index.asp#16
              Is it safe to partially cook ground beef to use later?
              No. Partial cooking of food ahead of time allows harmful bacteria to survive and multiply to the point that subsequent cooking cannot destroy them.