Re: [frozen-assets] ground chicken

  • Sarah L
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 22, 2011
      Yes, I have.  Yes, it does taste different since it's chicken, not beef.  I've never mixed it 50/50 or any other ratio.  We don't mind the taste difference but others may - individual preference, really.

      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 22, 2011
        I have used it to make spaghetti sauce and didn't really notice much
        difference BUT I tried making meat patties for burgers and I hated it... so
        if anyone makes burger patties from ground chicken and they like it, I'd
        love to see the recipe.
        Weezie

        ------------------------------------

        Tupperware(R) Online Catalog
        Same great products - online convenience!
        http://my2.tupperware.com/tup-html/D/debihough-product.html
      • Karen
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 22, 2011
          I've used all different kinds of ground meat in recipes -- chicken, turkey, beef, deer, elk. In foods like spaghetti, chili, tacos or other highly seasoned recipes it's almost impossible to tell which I used. If I'm making burgers I much prefer beef but others in my family will eat other types. For meatloaf I usually mix half and half with sausage or pork so again it's hard to tell what type of meat I used.

          Ground chicken tends to be leaner than beef but that depends on how it was prepared. But you may need to add oil to cook it, where with beef you are more likely to need to remove oil after it's cooked.

          Karen in MT

        • Jaime Grimes
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 22, 2011
            LOVE IT! Even bought a grinder to grind my own chicken breasts!

          • tvkeefe@bellsouth.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 23, 2011
              I have used ground chicken a lot and we love it. It freezes just like ground beef. I have used it in place of ground beef in many recipes. Hope this helps.

              --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "Mrs. Seana Johnson" <ldsmaof5@...> wrote:

              > Has anyone�out there ever used ground chicken in place of�ground beef in a
              > recipe? Did you like it? Did it taste different? Did you mix it half n half with
              > beef?
              > �
              > Seana Johnson

            • carrkm0527
              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 23, 2011
                I have not used ground chicken, but I do use ground turkey all the time. I just don't like ground beef. I use it exactly as you would ground beef. It's not fatty, so sometimes you have to add just a tiny bit of oil. My husband says he can tell the difference, but doesn't care. My son doesn't have a clue! LOL!

                I would suggest you try it with one dish, and decide. Please let us all know what you think!

                Karen in SE VA

              • Kim
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 25, 2011
                  I use ground chicken or turkey all the time for a beef substitute. It doesn't taste like beef, but if you spice it up for tacos, chili, etc, you really can't taste the difference. I would mix it 1/2 and 1/2 at first so your family gets used to it. I love ground chicken for meatloaf with spinach, oregano and feta cheese...sort of a Spanikopita meatloaf!

                  --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "Mrs. Seana Johnson" <ldsmaof5@...> wrote:

                  > Has anyone out there ever used ground chicken in place of ground beef in a
                  > recipe? Did you like it? Did it taste different? Did you mix it half n half with
                  > beef?
                  >
                  > Seana Johnson

                • Meg Justus
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 1, 2011
                    I use ground turkey in meatloaf. I make it with my standard recipe,
                    substituting seasoned stuffing crumbs for the bread crumbs, and omitting the
                    ketchup. I serve it with cranberry sauce.

                    I don't make burgers at home, so I've not tried it that way.

                    Meg
                  • luvmykdz@sacoriver.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 2, 2011
                      I have a recipe for turkey burgers that I absolutely love! I’m sure
                      you can substitute ground chicken for the turkey:

                      1 lb. ground turkey (or chicken)
                      1 TB & 1 tsp. bread crumbs
                      1 TB & 1 tsp. finely diced onions
                      2/3 egg whites, lightly beaten
                      1 TB & 1 tsp. chopped parsley
                      1/3 clove garlic, minced
                      1/4 tsp. salt
                      1/8 tsp. pepper

                      Mix together into patties & cook (fry or grill). Yum!

                      Jenny H.

                    • Laura Jones
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 2, 2011
                        I have a meatloaf substitution formula that I have used for years, you
                        combine 1/3 ground turkey or chicken with 1/3 ground beef and 1/3 cooked
                        brown rice (the exact amounts depend on how much you are making, just keep
                        it all at 1/3 each), then you use that in whatever you normal meatloaf
                        recipe is as the meat. It is very low fat, high fiber, and takes wonderful,
                        my family actually prefers it to all beef meatloaf. I wonder if you could
                        use this formula to make "beef" patties for hamburgers?

                        Laura

                        and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss