Need inspiration for freezer-stocking weekend

  • mrs.frisbie
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi all. I'm having a baby! yay! I remember last time being too nauseas to cook in the beginning, so I'd like to quickly stock my freezer this weekend with easy meals. You know, the type of thing that DH can pop in the oven so I don't have to cook. Other than quesedillas and pizzas, I'm drawing a blank. Can you inspire me?

      What dishes would you make in a pinch?

      Thanks all!
    • Andrea Reynolds
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
        Spagetti sauce, farmers casserole (breakfast casserole), soups, chili, chili
        verde

        On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:05 PM, mrs.frisbie <smoopie@...> wrote:

        > Hi all. I'm having a baby! yay! I remember last time being too nauseas to
        > cook in the beginning, so I'd like to quickly stock my freezer this weekend
        > with easy meals. You know, the type of thing that DH can pop in the oven so
        > I don't have to cook. Other than quesedillas and pizzas, I'm drawing a
        > blank. Can you inspire me?
        >
        > What dishes would you make in a pinch?
        >
        > Thanks all!

      • sharonavich1234567
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2009
          Congratulations

          I just went to the store today and am preparing for my prep day tomorrow with my mom. I have the following on the menu

          Granny Smith Pork (cubed meat)
          Pork Chops with wine glaze
          Rotini with pork and broccoli (sliced)
          Beef satay (skewered)
          Tenderloin tips in beer (sliced beef)
          Beef bourguignon fettuccine
          teriyaki chicken freezer recipe
          chicken parmigiana
          daves swamp blues bbq chicken pizza
          lemon chicken skewers/breasts
          chicken chili
          baked ziti
          several packs of beef mix for tacos, lasagna, sloppy joes, etc.

          Should get around 40 dinners to take me through football, track and swimming season. May even get into floor hocket with all these. I usually end up buying extra meat and throw something in on the fly so we'll see how my planning went this time. I bought the Living Cookbook program that was discussed and I love it but I'm not used to it yet. Hopefully next time it won't take me so long to plan. That's the idea, right?

          Dominick's had all the meat on sale for $1.88 per pound so each family dinner should run me about $6.00. That's a huge improvement for me.

          Sharon w/5 kids in IL

          --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "mrs.frisbie" <smoopie@...> wrote:

          > Hi all. I'm having a baby! yay! I remember last time being too nauseas to cook in the beginning, so I'd like to quickly stock my freezer this weekend with easy meals. You know, the type of thing that DH can pop in the oven so I don't have to cook. Other than quesedillas and pizzas, I'm drawing a blank. Can you inspire me?
          >
          > What dishes would you make in a pinch?
          >
          > Thanks all!

        • cindy
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
            Hi,
            No matter what I make that freezes well I make enough for at least 3 meals. Then I freeze the majority. With only two of us it is wonderful.
            When my family was all home would cook the meat that fed into the next night menu. I always said was like giving my self a day off. LOL
            Good luck, sounds like fun.
            Hugs,
            Cindy
          • Sheila P. Hribar
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
              Hi all,

              I am searching for freezer meals that work for Gastoesphogeal reflux disease
              sufferers, like myself. So many great freezer meals are available, but most
              often contain things I can't eat, such as, tomato sauce, spices, and other
              acidic items.

              Any help would be greatly appreciated!

              Thanks,

              Sheila in NY

            • maggifamily@verizon.net
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
                lasagna, no cooking the noodles needed. just use regular, break them into right shape and layer on your stuff. the sauce will soften them in the freezer/ thawing cycle.

                meatballs also.

                amanda.

              • Whitney Donohue
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
                  Mmmm...the Granny Smith Pork sounds yummy. Care to share the recipe, or the
                  cookbook it came from? Thanks!
                  Whitney

                • tkfizzkids@wmconnect.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
                    As far as easy recipes go, here is a very basic one for barbecued chicken
                    that we like a lot. The chicken could be fixed and then frozen in serving
                    size portions and reheated for meals. And here is a very simple chili recipe
                    that could also be fixed and frozen in serving size portions. -- Jacqueline

                    -- Oven Barbecued Chicken --

                    1 whole chicken, cut up and skin removed; or equivalent amount of your
                    favorite chicken pieces

                    1 bottle of barbecue sauce

                    Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a baking dish that is large enough to
                    hold the chicken pieces, and place chicken in it. Pour barbecue sauce over
                    chicken, covering chicken pieces well. Bake in oven for 1 to 1-1/2 hours
                    till chicken is done.

                    SIMPLE CHILI RECIPE

                    1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
                    1 can of diced tomatoes in juice
                    1 can chili beans
                    1 t. soy sauce
                    seasonings to suit (optional)

                    In a 4-6 qt. pot, brown ground beef and drain grease. Add tomatoes and
                    chili beans and soy sauce. Add seasonings. I like to use dashes of chili
                    powder, paprika, ground ginger, oregano, curry powder, salt and pepper. The soy
                    sauce and seasonings can be adjusted to suit your tastes. Hot sauce can be
                    added if you like that. After adding seasonings, simmer for 45 minutes to
                    1 hour; stirring occasionally. Serving suggestion -- put Fritos in a bowl,
                    then spoon chili over that and top with shredded cheese. For a larger pot
                    of chili, recipe can be doubled.

                  • lyonpridej
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
                      I just made both of these last week to put in my freezer & my daughter's too. I've had the Meaty macaroni & Cheese recipe over 25 years & made it to freeze during each of my pregnancies. I triple it to make a large family=size casserole & several individual casseroles for my husband to take for lunch.
                      - Judy Lyon=Tulsa,OK

                      MEATY MACARONI & CHEESE

                      -2c dry macaroni
                      -1 lb hamburger
                      -1/4-1/2c EACH of chopped onion & celery
                      -16oz tomato sauce with bits (they don't make it anymore, so I
                      either chop some fresh tomato into it, or add 1/2-1 can diced
                      tomato,or just use the tomato sauce(we like the bits though)
                      -salt & pepper to taste
                      -grated cheese (whatever kind you like & the amt. you like)

                      *the recipe doesn't call for it, but I like to add apx 8oz frozen
                      mixed veggies near end of cooking the macaroni-more nutritious &
                      stretches it. I also like to add a little extra sauce or water
                      when freezing, so it's not so dry.

                      -Cook macaroni - aldente, don't let it get too soft; drain
                      -Cook hamburger,celery & onion;drain fat off -I like to cook
                      hamburger,drain,then add celery & onion to finish cooking
                      -Add tomato sauce, and salt & pepper to taste.
                      -Add macaroni. Mix well, pour into casserole dish or cake pan. Top
                      with cheese. Bake 350 degrees, apx 30 min. You can microwave it, but we think the cheese tastes better from oven.

                      (If you are going to freeze:line the pan with foil so you can remove it once it's frozen. Put cheese in ziplock to freeze separately. Thaw to cook - cold casserole takes longer in oven, anywhere from 40-60 min, I cuit it in the middle to check if it's hot enough)

                      ENCHILADAS SUIZA (from the back of the ElPaso Enchilada sauce can)

                      3c cooked,shredded chicken 1 sm.(5.33oz) can evaporated milk
                      1(4oz)can chopped green chili 12 corn tortilla
                      1 tsp salt 2c shredded Monterey Jack cheese
                      1 (10oz)can Old El Paso Green Chili Enchilada Sauce

                      Mix together chicken,chilis & salt. Combine sauce & milk. Fry tortillas in hot oil a few seconds on each side until limp. Dip each tortilla in sauce mix; fill w/ 1/4c chicken filling;roll up & place seam side down in 9x13 baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over, sprinkle w/ cheese. Bake 425 degrees for 15 min.,till bubbly.

                      Now, THIS IS THE WAY I MAKE IT INSTEAD: First spray dish with cooking spray. Pour apx 1-2 ladels of sauce/milk mix into dish & spread around. DON'T fry tortillas- layer 6 in bottom of dish, overlapping a little & letting edges go up sides of dish a little(it's ok if they crack). Spread meat mixture on top of tortillas. Pour 1/2 - 3/4 of sauce over meat mixture. Layer 6 tortillas over top. Pour rest of sauce over top.Layer cheese over casserole. Bake as directed.
                      Even lazier: In large mixing bowl, combine meat mixture & sauce mixture. Stack tortillas, cut in half & slice into strips apx 1/2" wide. Stir into mixture. Pour into greased casserole dish,top with cheese & bake.

                      IF freezing or letting sit overnight, make & pour extra sauce/milk mix over it because the tortillas & meat will really soak it up if it sits.

                      I like to AT LEAST double or triple the sauce/milk mix. & this is what I do with the extra:

                      1- either mix into or pour over hamburger patties

                      2- MEXICAN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK: make chicken fried steaks as you normally would with cube steaks dipped in flour & fried,but make 1 extra steak( or I suppose you can buy the ready-made frozen chicken fried stuff). Pour out any grease,but save bits stuck on pan. Dice the extra steak, add to the drippings & pour the enchilada sauce/milk mix into the pan (add more green chili if you like) & heat to boiling while scraping bits off pan & stirring into sauce. Thicken slightly with flour or corn starch if needed. Serve over chicken fried steaks.
                      THIS IS WONDERFUL if you like mexican food!!! I knew a man who owned a Mexican Food place for 20 years in Arizona & served this,we ordered it whenever we were in town. He was nice enough to share the recipe that makes the sauce from scratch, but this method tastes similar enough to be worth the short cuts.
                    • sharonavich1234567
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2009
                        Here you go, straight from my new program...that I love. Not posted as a freezer recipe so what I did was cook up the apples and all the other ingredients, let them cool, bag separate from pork so I can brown it then add the sauce when I'm ready for dinner. We'll see how this works out. I think it will be good this way.

                        It looks like this recipe originated from www.diabetes.org but I don't know if it's a proper diabetic meal. I just thought it looked good and the sauce tasted good when it was done.

                        * Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

                        Granny Smith Pork

                        Recipe By : American Diabetes Association
                        Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time: 0:00
                        Categories : Diabetic Main Dish
                        Pork

                        1 tsp canola oil
                        1 1/2 lbs boneless pork, cut 1/2" cubes
                        4 medium Granny Smith apples, cored, and
                        sliced into 1/2" wedges
                        1 cup dry white wine
                        2 Tbs brown sugar
                        1/4 cup cider vinegar
                        3 Tbs cornstarch or arrowroot powder
                        2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
                        Salt, to taste
                        Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

                        1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and brown
                        on all sides. Add the apple slices and saute for 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of
                        the wine, reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.

                        2. Mix the other 1/2 cup of wine together with the remaining ingredients and
                        add to the skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce
                        thickens.

                        Nutrition (provided by recipe author)
                        -------------------------------------
                        Calories: 244
                        Calories From Fat: 55
                        Total Fat: 6g
                        Cholesterol: 56mg
                        Sodium: 135mg
                        Carbohydrates: 26g
                        Fiber: 3g
                        Protein: 20g

                        Comments: This apple-spiced dish is great served over rice.

                        Recipe Source: American Diabetes Association

                        Web Page: http://www.diabetes.org

                        Author Note: Copyright © American Diabetes Association, 1998.

                        Author Note: Recipe from "Flavorful Seasons Cookbook" by Robyn Webb, MS.
                        Copyright © McGraw Hill - NTC, 1996.

                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                        --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "Whitney Donohue" <donohue@...> wrote:

                        > Mmmm...the Granny Smith Pork sounds yummy. Care to share the recipe, or the
                        > cookbook it came from? Thanks!
                        > Whitney
                        [SNIP!]
                      • mrs.frisbie
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 3, 2009
                          Thanks everyone! These are some great ideas. I am fully inspired and can't wait to get going on it this weekend.

                          --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "mrs.frisbie" <smoopie@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all. I'm having a baby! yay! I remember last time being too nauseas to cook in the beginning, so I'd like to quickly stock my freezer this weekend with easy meals. You know, the type of thing that DH can pop in the oven so I don't have to cook. Other than quesedillas and pizzas, I'm drawing a blank. Can you inspire me?
                          >
                          > What dishes would you make in a pinch?
                          >
                          > Thanks all!

                        • angelfyr072
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 4, 2009
                            My stash of must-haves includes:
                            meatballs
                            breakfast burritos and sandwiches
                            meatloaves
                            stuffed peppers
                            bags of cooked chicken
                            bags of precooked ground beef w/ onions and garlic-2c.
                            bags of taco meat- chicken and beef- 2 c.
                            bags of marinated chicken for the grill or roasting
                            mimi's sticky chicken -- check the archives for the recipe
                            ham and cheese pie
                            salmon asparagus quiche

                            I also like to have on hand:
                            cabbage rolls, burritos, soup starters and broths, sloppy joe meat in bags, lasagnas work well too, and various other casseroles.

                            Congrats on the baby!

                            Laura in CO
                          • Diane May
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 14, 2009
                              Sharon,

                              ALL these sound yummy. :-9
                              I got the Granny Smith pork recipe you posted (thank you)
                              Would you mind sharing the recipes for these also? Mucho gracias!

                              >> I have the following on the menu

                              * Pork Chops with wine glaze
                              * Rotini with pork and broccoli (sliced)
                              * Beef satay (skewered)
                              * Tenderloin tips in beer (sliced beef)
                              * Beef bourguignon fettuccine
                              * teriyaki chicken freezer recipe
                              * chicken parmigiana
                              * daves swamp blues bbq chicken pizza
                              * lemon chicken skewers/breasts
                              * chicken chili
                              * baked ziti

                              Diane in GA
                            • Megan Toups
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 15, 2009
                                OK, so I am reading a bunch of these yummy recipes and I have what could be a dumb question. But do I cook the meats and stuff before I freeze or do I just stick them uncooked with all the stuff into a container and then freeze?

                                Megan

                              • sharonavich1234567
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 15, 2009
                                  Most of these are new recipes for us as I was trying to mix things up. So I'll post this one. We've been going through the burgers, brats and chicken breasts I had prepared already while it's still grilling weather. When I dip into these others and see how they work out I'll post them. Enjoy!

                                  We just had the Chicken Chili and it was yum. Younger kids didn't eat it but hubby and I did with the older ones. I didn't have the right beans when I froze this so I used Great Northern beans and tossed in some frozen rice at the end.

                                  I have no idea how accurate the nutrition info is because the program calculates it based on the ingredients.

                                  * Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *

                                  Chicken Chili

                                  Recipe By : American Diabetes Association
                                  Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time: 0:00
                                  Categories : Chili Diabetic
                                  Low Fat Main Dish
                                  Main Dish Poultry
                                  Poultry

                                  1 Tbs canola oil
                                  1 onion, chopped
                                  1 garlic clove, crushed
                                  3 cups finely-chopped cooked chicken
                                  4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
                                  1 can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes - (28 oz)
                                  1 can pinto beans - (15 1/2 oz), rinsed, drained
                                  1 can black beans - (15 oz), rinsed, drained
                                  1 can chopped jalapeño peppers - (4
                                  -- oz), drained (or 2 oz for less heat)
                                  1 Tbs chili powder
                                  1 Tbs ground cumin
                                  1 tsp salt, (optional)
                                  Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

                                  1. Over medium-high heat, heat the oil in a large pot. Add onion and cook
                                  until limp, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add
                                  all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer,
                                  stirring occasionally, until thickened (approximately 50 to 60 minutes).

                                  Nutrition (provided by recipe author)
                                  -------------------------------------
                                  Calories: 236
                                  Calories From Fat: 37
                                  Total Fat: 4g
                                  Cholesterol: 44mg
                                  Sodium: 818mg
                                  Carbohydrates: 24g
                                  Fiber: 3g
                                  Protein: 24g

                                  Recipe Source: American Diabetes Association

                                  Web Page: http://www.diabetes.org

                                  Author Note: Copyright © American Diabetes Association, 1999.

                                  Author Note: Recipe from "The Great Chicken Cookbook for People with
                                  Diabetes" by Beryl M. Marton. Copyright © American Diabetes Association,
                                  1999.