Re: [frozen-assets] Re: Question: Freezing cooked grits?

  • Claimsmom
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 30, 2009
      I've done this before but just added a little water and butter and stirred vigorously - re-heat on the stove or microwave this way - works ok for me.

      Message 2 of 13 , May 1, 2009
        I freeze and refrigerate cooked cereals all the time. I portion them into silicon muffin pans (easier to get them out that way). when I go to serve them, I add them to milk and microwave. It takes a lot of milk to get the right consistency, but I don't mind the extra nutrition from the milk.

        Chat Later,

        Kathy Cushman
        kathyc22@...

        --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "angels*4*lyn" <angels4lyn@...> wrote:

        > I made grits, and had plenty of left overs, I didnt know
        > what would happen.... but I put the bowl in the fridge for later.
        > and it became one solid mass. it was never grits again.
        > so i learned not to get them cold.

      • Shirley Smith
        Message 3 of 13 , May 1, 2009
          <I made grits, and had plenty of left overs, I didnt know
          what would happen.... but I put the bowl in the fridge for later.
          and it became one solid mass. it was never grits again.
          so i learned not to get them cold.>

          I've never frozen grits, but i cook extra on purpose & chill them in a small loaf pan - when they become that "solid mass" i turn them out, slice, flour, & fry until golden brown on each side. Yummy with butter & syrup but I like them best just buttered & peppered. I also like mush prepared in this manner

          hugs
          OG

        • Solofan2003@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , May 2, 2009
            (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/frozen-assets/message/62075;_ylc=X3oDMTJycHQ0YXNmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzExNjc1NzEEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1NzYwOTgzBG1zZ0lkAzY
            yMDc1BHNlYwNkbXNnBHNsawN2bXNnBHN0aW1lAzEyNDEyNzcwMTY-) Kathy,

            You've frozen grits and oatmeal too, then? That's good news for me. I was
            going to experiment with freezing grits today.

            As several of you all have, I've chilled them in the fridge then made
            mushy again by adding more milk and butter (or milk, cheese and garlic) and
            stirred on the stove.

            I'll try the slice and fry method of leftovers too next time.

            Thanks, everyone, for the responses to this!
            Anna

            I freeze and refrigerate cooked cereals all the time. I portion them into
            silicon muffin pans (easier to get them out that way). when I go to serve
            them, I add them to milk and microwave. It takes a lot of milk to get the
            right consistency, but I don't mind the extra nutrition from the milk.

            Chat Later,

            Kathy Cushman

            **************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
            Online - FREE Profile!
            (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221822996x1201398599/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%
            3Bk)

          • angels*4*lyn
            Message 5 of 13 , May 5, 2009
              I need to do that... next time I make some up, put the left overs in
              something that will make it easy to slice.
              I've bought polenta in the rolls at the store.
              those are easy to slice.

              I wasnt even thinking when I put the bowl in the fruidge.,. and then got
              this very solid mass of grits..LOL
              so next time, I'll look for something better to put them in, and will slice
              and fry them.
              I like them with butter or cheese. never tried the syrup tho. thats
              interesting :)
              Lyn

              Message 6 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                oh I like this idea too..... I need to get me some of those silicone muffin
                pans :)

                Lyn

                Message 7 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                  hmmmm,ok, I had not tried that. when I saw them I thought there was no
                  way they'd be soft again ...LOL

                  Lyn

                • ttuckerbox-home@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 5, 2009
                    use a Tupperware tumbler.
                    Spray the inside w/ Pam. Then fill tumbler w/ grits or cookie dough or whatever. Put on the seal& freeze. Once frozen the item will just pop out & you can slice away the amount u need.

                    Tupperly,

                    Tanya Tucker
                    Website:  www.TWSaves.com