Re: [frozen-assets] Help make this recipe freezer-ready, please!

  • Tina Hendricks
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 31, 2009
      I've made twice baked potatoes, and they come out fine in the freezer. I
      just make sure we bake them to reheat, then they don't seem runny.
      Tina

      --
      Tina Hendricks
      OHVA Moderator

    • carrkm0527
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
        I make stuffed potatoes for the freezer all time - and these do sound good! :-) The only think I would do differently is add some cream cheese when mashing the potato. That seems to make the texture better when you thaw them out. I just blob some in, but I would guess 3 ounces for this recipe would be about right. HTH - Karen in VA

        > Mexican Style Stuffed Potatoes
        >
        > 4 10-ounce russet potatoes
        > 1/2 C. milk
        > 1 C. shredded Mexican-blend cheeses
        > 1/3 C. crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
        > 1/3 C. chopped fresh cilantro
        > 1/4 C. chopped green onions
        > Salsa
        > Sour cream
        >
        > Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Pierce each potato several times with toothpick. Bake on rack until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer potatoes to work surface. Maintain oven temperature.
        >
        > Cut off top 1/4 of 1 long side of each potato. Scoop potato from skins into large bowl, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Mash potato with milk. Mix in cheese, chips, cilantro and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Fill shells with potato mixture, mounding in center.
        >
        > Return stuffed potatoes to oven and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Top potatoes with salsa and sour cream and serve.
        >
        > Makes 4 servings.

      • hopeky94
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
          Yes, cream cheese does sound like a yummy addition to this- thanks! And thank you to the poster who suggested reheating in the oven also.

          I guess what I'm most concerned about is getting them heated all the way thru, whether in the microwave or the oven. I made something like this once (except I cut the potato in half horizontally and stuffed the halves separately), and when I tried to reheat them, I couldn't figure out how long to cook them, what temp, thaw first or not, etc.

          Any tips (preferably tried-and-true)?

          Thanks again!!

          --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "carrkm0527" <carrkm0527@...> wrote:

          > I make stuffed potatoes for the freezer all time - and these do sound good! :-) The only think I would do differently is add some cream cheese when mashing the potato. That seems to make the texture better when you thaw them out. I just blob some in, but I would guess 3 ounces for this recipe would be about right. HTH - Karen in VA
          >
          > > Mexican Style Stuffed Potatoes
          > >
          > > 4 10-ounce russet potatoes
          > > 1/2 C. milk
          > > 1 C. shredded Mexican-blend cheeses
          > > 1/3 C. crushed nacho-flavored tortilla chips
          > > 1/3 C. chopped fresh cilantro
          > > 1/4 C. chopped green onions
          > > Salsa
          > > Sour cream
          > >
          > > Position rack in top third of oven and preheat to 425°F. Pierce each potato several times with toothpick. Bake on rack until tender, about 1 hour 10 minutes. Transfer potatoes to work surface. Maintain oven temperature.
          > >
          > > Cut off top 1/4 of 1 long side of each potato. Scoop potato from skins into large bowl, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shell. Mash potato with milk. Mix in cheese, chips, cilantro and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Fill shells with potato mixture, mounding in center.
          > >
          > > Return stuffed potatoes to oven and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes. Top potatoes with salsa and sour cream and serve.
          > >
          > > Makes 4 servings.
        • carrkm0527
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
            I also usually cut the potatoes in half and then stuff them. They usually heat up fine @ 350 for about 30 minutes (from frozen). So, I would guess 40 - 45 minutes from frozen for these "whole" potatoes.

            Or, you could follow the basic recipe, but cut the potatoes in half instead of cutting off the tops and stuffing that way - so, each person would get 2 halves instead of one whole potato.
          • Brenda Howard
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2009
              This recipe is similar to TGI Friday's Tater Skins. You should not have a
              problem reheating them from frozen if you use the microwave which I would
              suggest. Also you don't really have to use the oven to do the potatoes
              before you cut and scoop them. Just prick them and microwave them until soft
              but not totally done but yield to pressure.

              Cut and scoop out leaving the shell and then use your ingredients to refill
              with your shells and bake. After they are baked you can flash freeze then
              bag up in serving size bags and take out what you need and reheat in
              microwave. DELISH!!!

              Brenda