Diet recipe using nuts?

  • jaclynlewis
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi ladies,
      Hope everyone had a great holiday. You are my best resource so I
      thought I'd float this one by y'all.
      I need recipes to use up NUTS. After all my holiday baking, I ended up
      with about 5 cups extra of whole Pecans, 2 cups of half walnuts and a
      cup of sliced almonds. The trouble is that I'm starting weight
      watchers and don't want to have anymore sweets in the house, so baking
      sweet stuff is out (I can't even do it with the fake sweeteners
      because I'm allergic to them )
      Anybody have a good recipe that uses any of those nuts but won't wreck
      my diet?
      Thanks,
      Jackie in CA
    • Bob And Greta Ripley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        Why don't you just freeze them and use them through the year? I also toss a
        few nuts onto my salads. I watch my carb intake and use an ounce of nuts
        as a snack- right out of the freezer.
        Greta

      • jaclynlewis
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          Thanks Greta, I never thought to eat them right out of the freezer!
          How long will they last in the freezer? Does it affect the texture at all?
          Jackie
        • Bob And Greta Ripley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            I don't think it affects the texture at all and they last a very long time-
            I know I've had some walnuts for more than a year.

            Greta

            Thanks Greta, I never thought to eat them right out of the freezer!
            How long will they last in the freezer? Does it affect the texture at all?
            Jackie

            .

            <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1167571/grpspId=1705760983/msgId
            =60968/stime=1230873254/nc1=4025373/nc2=5349274/nc3=5579904>

          • Kris Dreyer
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Check out www.goneraw.com for raw vegan recipes using nuts. If you soak almonds overnight then blend them with water and strain you can make almond milk for smoothies. The leftover pulp can be dried then used in recipes calling for flour. You can soak 1 cup walnuts over night then process with a Tbsp of soy sauce and a tsp of cumin in a food processor to make fake taco meat for a salad. It is delicious! Pecans are great with dried cranberrie in a homemade granola.

              Surviving in Suburbia,
              Kristen Dreyer
              http://www.survivalinsuburbia.homestead.com
              http://www.homesteadblogger.com/survivalinsuburbia/

            • zteam@merr.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                Jackie,
                Nuts freeze well, I haven't noticed a change in texture. I've had them
                in the freezer for at least 6 months. But, I recently found that if you
                are going to eat them plain, they are so delicious if you roast them
                first. Place the nuts in a single layer on a jelly roll pan (cookie
                sheet with sides) and place them in an oven preheated to 350 degrees.
                Watch them carefully - it takes between 5-10 minutes to bring out the
                full flavor, but you don't want to let them go to long - you will notice
                a bit of scorching, and a burning smell. Cool before packaging. I have
                tried walnuts and pecans with great success - almonds should also work
                well. I haven't tried freezing the nuts after roasting (though it
                should work) I usually just place them in a canning jar and keep them in
                the fridge. They are great on salads, on top of oatmeal, or as is for a
                snack.
                Maybe you could find a homemade granola recipe that would work with your
                diet.
                HTH,
                Laurie
              • angelfyr072
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  Not really a recipe but raw nuts are a great source of protien -- with
                  fats that are good for you. My favorite salad is one with 1/2 can of
                  tuna, a bunch of greens and other veggies-carrot, red pepper, whatever,
                  and a handful of raw walnuts -- really good with a raspberry vinagrette
                  dressing. Or walnuts are also good in oatmeal with a bit of real maple
                  syrup, or some raisins. Makes the oatmeal stick to your ribs a bit
                  more than regular. The sliced almonds are good on top of roasted
                  carrots, green beans, brown rice pilaf, or in salads too. Someone was
                  just telling me about a candy they make with only orange juice, chopped
                  up dried apricots and pecans. Basically she said you chop up the dried
                  apricots, and pecans -- and add them to a warm saucepan with a bit of
                  orange juice, until the mixture gets kind of gloppy and thick, then
                  make little balls and roll them in pecan chunks. It's still a sweet of
                  sorts-- but it doesn't have any sugar other than natural sugar and the
                  pecans would make it pretty filling. Sounds like a great snack to me.
                  I'll look and see if I can find the recipe online for you-- it's
                  supossed to be from the old deaf smith cookbook if anyone has a copy of
                  it. If nothing else you can definately freeze the nuts until you find
                  uses for them. Does weight watchers website have any recipes that use
                  nuts?

                  Laura in Co

                  --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "jaclynlewis" <sjsslewis@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi ladies,
                  > Hope everyone had a great holiday. You are my best resource so I
                  > thought I'd float this one by y'all.
                  > I need recipes to use up NUTS. After all my holiday baking, I ended up
                  > with about 5 cups extra of whole Pecans, 2 cups of half walnuts and a
                  > cup of sliced almonds. The trouble is that I'm starting weight
                  > watchers and don't want to have anymore sweets in the house, so baking
                  > sweet stuff is out (I can't even do it with the fake sweeteners
                  > because I'm allergic to them )
                  > Anybody have a good recipe that uses any of those nuts but won't wreck
                  > my diet?
                  > Thanks,
                  > Jackie in CA

                • Judy Cramer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                    I've ground nuts and used them to coat chicken instead of bread
                    crumbs, using a mustard/butter wash first. It's delicious, especially
                    if you use thighs or legs and then oven bake.

                    They are a great snack too. You may want to take the freezer idea, and
                    prepack them in snack bags, and pull out one a day or whenever.

                    --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "jaclynlewis" <sjsslewis@...> wrote:

                    > Hi ladies,
                    > Hope everyone had a great holiday. You are my best resource so I
                    > thought I'd float this one by y'all.
                    > I need recipes to use up NUTS. After all my holiday baking, I ended up
                    > with about 5 cups extra of whole Pecans, 2 cups of half walnuts and a
                    > cup of sliced almonds. The trouble is that I'm starting weight
                    > watchers and don't want to have anymore sweets in the house, so baking
                    > sweet stuff is out (I can't even do it with the fake sweeteners
                    > because I'm allergic to them )
                    > Anybody have a good recipe that uses any of those nuts but won't wreck
                    > my diet?
                    > Thanks,
                    > Jackie in CA

                  • Anne Wiebe
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Regarding using nuts in a nutritious way, I have had great success adding them TOASTED to my
                      morning oatmeal -- delicious!! I put a tablespoonful or two, chopped, in a glass bowl and microwave
                      for 2 minutes. Then put my rolled oats and water and salt in an 8-cup Pyrex measuring cup and microwave
                      that for five minutes. Add the nuts, some artificial sweetener, maybe a splash of skim milk to adjust the
                      texture.... this is really good and very nutritious.
                      Anne in Austin

                    • Diane Dalton
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                        I use them on salads. Just toast them, use them with dried
                        cherries/cranberries (or maybe a fresh pear or apple?) and feta cheese on
                        spinach or romaine. I like the Wishbone Balsamic Breeze Salad Spritzer.

                        According to my old pointsfinder from WW, the dressing is "0" pts for one
                        serving, and stays in the "1" pt area for quite a few extra servings. Don't
                        know about the pts on the feta, nuts or fruits.

                        I've ground nuts and used them to coat chicken instead of bread
                        crumbs, using a mustard/butter wash first. It's delicious, especially
                        if you use thighs or legs and then oven bake.

                        They are a great snack too. You may want to take the freezer idea, and
                        prepack them in snack bags, and pull out one a day or whenever.

                        --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "jaclynlewis" <sjsslewis@...> wrote:

                        > Hi ladies,
                        > Hope everyone had a great holiday. You are my best resource so I
                        > thought I'd float this one by y'all.
                        > I need recipes to use up NUTS. After all my holiday baking, I ended up
                        > with about 5 cups extra of whole Pecans, 2 cups of half walnuts and a
                        > cup of sliced almonds. The trouble is that I'm starting weight
                        > watchers and don't want to have anymore sweets in the house, so baking
                        > sweet stuff is out (I can't even do it with the fake sweeteners
                        > because I'm allergic to them )
                        > Anybody have a good recipe that uses any of those nuts but won't wreck
                        > my diet?
                        > Thanks,
                        > Jackie in CA

                        Tupperware(R) Online Catalog
                        Same great products - online convenience!
                        http://my2.tupperware.com/tup-html/D/debihough-product.html
                        4:32 PM