File - Frequently Asked Questions

  • frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 332 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hi, all.... :-)

      Certain topics are frequently mentioned on the Frozen-
      Assets Email List. For the benefit of newcomers and cut
      down on some of these frequently repeated conversations,
      here's the current edition of the FA FAQ.
      _________________________________

      QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS INCLUDED ARE:

      ~How do I order the "Frozen Assets" books and
      audio workshop?
      ~How do I post a message to the group?
      ~How can I let others know about this group?
      ~Who do I contact with a technical question about the List?
      ~How do I unsubscribe from this List? Or change settings?
      ~How can I find further information about this topic via email?
      ~What is meant by "flash freezing"?
      ~How (and why!?) do some of you boil hamburger?
      ~Any special tips for vegetarians?
      ~My freezer's too small for a month worth of meals.

      _________________________________

      FAQ's ~ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
      _________________________________

      Q) How do I order the "Frozen Assets" books and audio
      workshop?

      A) "Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for
      a Month" (ISBN: 1-891400-61-4) by Deborah Taylor-Hough
      is available nationwide. If your local bookstore doesn't
      carry it on their shelves, be sure to ask for it. They
      should be able to special order it for you easily -- it's
      carried by all the major book distributors in the USA and
      Canada.

      While it's not necessary to own the Frozen Assets book(s)
      to participate in this discussion group, it's definitely
      helpful. Many of your questions will be answered if
      you're just starting out, plus you'll find several menu
      plans complete with shopping lists and instructions.

      The Frozen Assets books (and an audiotape of a live "Frozen
      Assets" workshop which contains different content from the
      books including tips not given in any of the books) can
      be ordered online from the following links:

      "Frozen Assets" Audio Workshop
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400398/simplepleasuresp/

      Frozen Assets: How to Cook for a Day and Eat for a Month
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400614/simplepleasuresp/

      Frozen Assets Lite & Easy
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400282/simplepleasuresp/

      Debi's other books and audio workshops:

      "Living Within Your Means" Audio Workshop
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400428/simplepleasuresp/

      A Simple Choice: A practical guide for saving your time, money and sanity
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400495/simplepleasuresp/

      Frugal Living For Dummies(R)
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764554034/simplepleasuresp/

      Mix and Match Recipes: Creative Ideas for Busy Kitchens
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/189140007X/simplepleasuresp/
      _________________________________

      Q) How do I post a message to the group?

      A) To post, send an email to: frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com

      ***Due to some severely inappropriate messages being sent
      to the Frozen Assets List, we now have a fully moderated
      format. This means when you send a message to the Frozen
      Assets List address, it will first be sent to me (Debi),
      Linda Stolz (Lead Moderator), and our other moderators
      for approval before it will be sent out to the entire
      group.

      Our moderators are just wonderful, by the way! Be sure
      to show your appreciation for everything they do for
      us whenever you have a chance! :-)

      frozen-assets-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      If you'd like to invite your website visitors to join
      our group, you can get the HTML for a subscribe button
      to add to your site at:

      Digest, inadvertantly sending attachments to the List,
      gibberish in posts, etc.). Who do I contact?

      A) You'll need to contact the Frozen-Assets Lead
      Moderator Linda Stolz at lstolz@...

      To change your settings, you can also go to:
      http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/frozen-assets/
      _________________________________

      Q) How can I find further information about this topic?

      A) Be sure to visit the Official Frozen Assets Home Page
      at: http://frozenassets.wordpress.com/
      _________________________________

      Q) What is meant by "flash freezing"?

      A) The term "flash freezing" is used on the Frozen-Assets
      list to describe the process of freezing things quickly and
      individually. For example, if you're freezing whole straw-
      berries, lay them out individually in a single layer on a
      cookie sheet, freeze just until solid, and then pack tightly
      together in a zip-top freezer bag. Many people flash freeze
      items such as meatballs, chicken nuggets, hamburger patties,
      cookies, and waffles -- anything you don't want sticking
      together when it's time to take individual portions out of
      the freezer bag.
      _________________________________

      Q) How (and why!?) do some of you boil hamburger?

      A) Many on the Frozen-Assets List have discovered that
      frying large quantities of ground beef can be time-consuming
      and difficult, so they've started boiling their ground beef.
      Boiling ground beef also cuts down on the fat content.
      Bring a large stock pot of water to a full boil. Place raw
      ground beef into boiling water, stirring to separate. Boil
      until meat is cooked through. Drain. (You can also use
      the ground beef cooking water in soup -- after boiling the
      beef, save the cooking water and place the container of
      broth in the refrigerator for several hours. After it cools,
      you can skim the layer of fat easily off the top.) If you
      want to try this method with ground turkey, do NOT
      bring the water to a boil before adding meat -- add the
      meat along with the cold water. Then prepare as per
      instructions.
      _________________________________

      Q) I'm a vegetarian. Any special tips?

      A) There shouldn't be any difficulty adapting Frozen-Assets
      cooking methods to vegetarian menus (or any other special
      dietary requirements). When you prepare your regular recipes,
      try freezing single portions before you attempt a large batch
      of freezer meals (this tip applies to any recipes you haven't
      tried in the freezer before -- whether vegetarian recipes or
      not). Tofu, Texturized Vegetable Protein (TVP), and cooked
      dry beans all freeze well.
      _________________________________

      Q) I only have the small freezer above my refrigerator.
      Can I still do a full month worth of cooking ahead?

      A) The easiest way to ease into cooking for the freezer
      is to double or triple recipes as you go about your regular
      cooking during the week, freezing the extra batches for
      later. One week of tripling recipes will give you a two
      week stash of Frozen Assets with very little extra effort.

      You also might want to consider twice-a-month cooking at
      first until you get used to the method and used to packing
      your freezer tightly. Eventually, you may be able to store
      the entire month's worth of entrees in your fridge-top
      freezer with careful planning. Use heavy-duty freezer
      bags to freeze food more compactly than in casserole
      dishes or foil pans. Freeze the bags flat and stack them
      carefully. To prevent a landslide of stacked freezer bags,
      store them standing on edge -- like old fashioned LP record
      albums (I'm dating myself a bit, aren't I?). Clear out
      non-essentials from the freezer before cooking day. Wait
      until the freezer clears out later in the month before
      stocking up on frozen bread, ice cream, etc. Prepare
      meals with sauces to pour over noodles or rice; but to
      save space, don't freeze the noodles or rice ahead of
      time -- cook them up fresh when you serve the meal.
      _________________________________

      The Frozen-Assets Email List is now being received by
      subscribers in the following countries*:

      Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Croatia,
      Germany, Isreal, Japan, Malta, the Netherlands, New Zealand,
      Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, South Korea,
      Spain, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom,
      and the United States.

      *If your country isn't listed, feel free to drop me a
      note and let me know where you're located.

      Happy "infrequent" cooking!

      Your Frozen-Assets List Mom,

      Debi
      (Deborah Taylor-Hough)
      debi@...
      Author, "Frozen Assets: How to cook for a eay and eat for a month"
      http://amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1891400614/simplepleasuresp/
      _________________________________

      For the FRESHEST freezer-meals, check out Tupperware's
      Rock N'Serve and FreezeSmart containers!
      http://my.tupperware.com/debihough/
      _________________________________

      THE OFFICIAL "FROZEN ASSETS" HOME PAGE
      http://frozenassets.wordpress.com/
      _________________________________

      DEBI'S HOME PAGE: "The Simple Mom"
      http://thesimplemom.wordpress.com/
    • frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com
      Message 332 of 332 , Mar 29 12:36 AM
        Hi, all.... :-)

        Certain topics are frequently mentioned on the Frozen-
        Assets Email List. For the benefit of newcomers and to cut
        down on some of these frequently repeated conversations,
        here's the current edition of the FA-FAQ (Frequently Asked
        Questions).
        ~How can I find further information about this topic via email?
        ~What is meant by "flash freezing"?
        ~How (and why!?) do some of you boil hamburger?
        ~Any special tips for vegetarians?
        ~My freezer's too small for a month worth of meals.

        _________________________________

        FAQ's ~ FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
        _________________________________

        Q) How do I order the Frozen Assets book?

        A) Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month
        (ISBN: 1402218591) by Deborah Taylor-Hough is usually
        available nationwide. If your local bookstore doesn't
        carry it on their shelves, be sure to ask for it. They
        should be able to special order it for you easily -- it's
        carried by all the major book distributors in the USA and
        Canada.

        Owning this books is definitely helpful when participating
        in this group. Many of your questions will be answered if
        you're just starting out, plus you'll find several menu
        plans complete with shopping lists and complete instructions.

        The newest editions of the Frozen Assets books can be
        ordered online from the following links:

        Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month
        http://snurl.com/frozenassetsbook

        Frozen Assets on Kindle
        http://snurl.com/frozenassetskindle

        Frozen Assets Lite & Easy
        http://snurl.com/frozenassetslite

        _________________________________

        Q) How do I post a message to the group?

        A) To post, send an email to: frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com

        ***Due to some severely inappropriate messages being sent
        to the Frozen Assets List in the past, we have a moderated
        format. This means when you send a message to the Frozen
        Assets List address, it will first be sent to me (Debi),
        Linda Stolz (Lead Moderator), and our other moderators
        for approval before it will be sent out to the entire
        group.

        Our moderators are just wonderful, by the way! Be sure
        to show your appreciation for everything they do for
        us whenever you have a chance! :-)

        frozen-assets-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        If you'd like to invite your website visitors to join
        our group, you can get the HTML for a subscribe button
        to add to your site at:

        email containing ANY message to which ever one of the
        following addresses applies to the change you need.

        Switch to Digest: frozen-assets-digest@yahoogroups.com
        Normal delivery: frozen-assets-normal@yahoogroups.com
        No mail: frozen-assets-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        at: http://frozenassets.info

        _________________________________

[...]

        You can also check out this Vegetarian Monthly Meal Plan at:
        http://afrugalsimplelife.com/2011/09/12/vegetarian-monthly-freezer-meal-plan/

        Q) I only have the small freezer above my refrigerator.
        Can I still do a full month's worth of cooking ahead?

[...]

        dsimple@...

        Author, Frozen Assets: Cook for a Day, Eat for a Month
        http://snurl.com/frozenassetsbook

        "FROZEN ASSETS" WEBSITE & FACEBOOK PAGE
        http://frozenassets.info
        http://www.facebook.com/frozenassets