[frozen-assets] Re: Cooking wholegrains in the oven

  • Edwin & Amy Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
      I have a recipe for cooking barley that is very good. I got it from the
      "Frugal Gourmet". It is very simple. Just take one cup pearl barley
      (not quick) and saute it in a pan with one yellow one, diced. Then put
      it all in a casserole, and add six cups beef broth. Cook at 350 degrees
      for 1-2 hours, stirring periodically, till all the broth is absorbed.

      This is very good, and freezes very well. And yes, the proportions are
      correct - one cup regular pearl barley to six cups broth.

      -- Amy
      eabenson@...
      Meet the Benson's! http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prairie/7458

      "What good does it do to teach a child to speak, if you give her nothing
      to say?"

      --Amy Benson, 1996
    • ETM
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
        I have never used the oven. I am a fan of Gabe Mirkin and use his
        method of cooking grains overnight in a thermos jug.

        I also suspect any grain could be mixed in proper quantities to water
        and brought to a boil and put in a covered slow cooker before bedtime,
        so it would be ready in larger quantities in the AM.

        My thermos technique (Dr. Mirkin's guidelines) indicates 3 hours in the
        thermos would cook Kamut, Rye, Spelt and Wild Rice. Times range from 5
        minutes (oatmeal) to the three hours (2 hours for barley).

        I will be interested in hearing about oven cooking. Is it a slow and
        covered process?

        Elaine

        Researching Bohemian Surnames
        S.L.E.P.I.C.K.A. and H.R.U.S.K.A.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 1999
          Hi Elaine,

          Please would you give a bit more information about Dr. Mirkin's guidelines -
          is there a web site ... or a book?

          I found one web page several months ago regarding thermos cooking but that
          only talks about whole wheat.

          Thanks in advance!

          Eloise