Re: canning vs freezing?

  • ajflutter
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2005
      I think you would want to pressure cook the beans or the chili if you
      can them. Should be possible though. My grandmother used to can
      chicken, but was for sure pressure cooked!

      --- In frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com, "Jackie & Susie"
      <jstevens@n...> wrote:
      > I cooked a big batch of pinto beans(in my crock pot) with plans to
      make chili with part of it and freeze both the chili and servings of
      pintos. I had the idea of filling a quart jar with the beans and
      freezing it standing up in the door- however after a while I heard it
      pop(seal) as I had filled it while hot! I have space above my
      cabinets where I store my canned green beans and tomatoes... now I'll
      be happy to do my pinto beans as well! My question or concern is now
      I'd like to know if I can can my chili too?? I've never canned any
      meat or anything containing meat and it makes me a bit nervous to do
      so. I'd like to save as much freezer space as I can though. Any
      advice??
      > TIA, Susan from Tennessee
    • luvtobake0708
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2005
        I'm not a canning expert, but I do believe all vegetables and meats
        must be processed in a pressure canner. They are not safe to eat
        unless properly canned.

        Acidic foods such as pickles, fruits (except tomatoes unless specially
        prepared) and jams, jellies plus preserves can be canned in a hot
        water bath.

        Check with your county extension agent, the National Center for Home
        Preservation http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html or the Ball Blue Book
        for guidance. Again, I am NOT a canner, I use the freezer for almost
        everything; but I do know you need to take precautions while canning.

        Mary