RE: [frozen-assets] stuffed shells

  • Mary J Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
      I make stuffed shells the exact same way I make lasagna... just put together
      differently.

      If I remember right I use (it's one of those memory recipes...)

      1 container ricotta
      1 egg
      1/2 C parmesan cheese

      Cook shells, stuff with filling, put in pan (1 big or a couple little).
      Cover with sauce and mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese melts.

      I use a meat sauce, so I don't put meat in the shells. You could if you want
      though, use cooked sausage or hamburger.

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
        See, this part has always bewildered me. My family is from Sigonella, Italy
        We have stuffed our shells with beef, but typically, we use chicken. Most
        people I talk with have never heard of stuffing the shells with chicken. Am
        I the only odd duck here that does this?
        Sincerely, ReBecca

        "When we long for a life with less difficulties, remind us that oaks grow
        strong in contrary winds and diamonds are made under pressure." ~ Author
        Unknown ~
        www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DurableMedicalEquipment
        For those in need and can't get insurance to understand!
      • crlkoelr
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
          ReBecca, you are not the odd duck, I also stuff my shells with
          chicken, cheese, some cream cheese peppers and onions and seasonings,
          as a matter of fact that is what we had for dinner tonight, I put a
          cheese sauce or white sauce on, I also stuff with beef , and use a
          tomato sauce. carole
        • Amy Ciortea
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 2, 2004
            I would love a recipe for chicken. I stuffed with cheeses because it was the
            only recipe I had (and it was the same as mentioned above).

            so please tell me what you use when you stuff it with chicken! :) so you
            shred the chicken?

            Amy

          • eawaew@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2004
              ReBecca, I'd LOVE a recipe for stuffed shells with chicken! Have you got a
              good recipe? I've got around 90 frozen stuffed shells in the freezer, but
              would love to add chicken/crab to the next batch.

              Thanks! Jen

            • kes
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2004
                You guys have talked so much about stuffed shell lately that I got energetic
                and made 3 square pans of stuffed shells, one small rectangle pan of
                lasagna, 3 quart bags of spaghetti sauce, and while I was at it, I made 3
                bags of chili, too. I used Williams packaged chili seasoning mix...I don't
                know why I hadn't thought about that when I asked the list not too long ago
                for a good no beans chili recipe! Thanks everyone, you made things so much
                easier!

                Now that I finished all that cooking for the freezer today....I just need to
                figure out something for dinner tonight!!! My husband was inspired by my
                large pot of spaghetti sauce and made a TON of spaghetti noodles, and they
                are pretty tender cooked...we have kids who don't like chewy noodles. So now
                I just have to figure out what to put on them. I don't think I can get away
                with Spaghetti sauce and noodles for the third time in a row!

                Kristin in Kansas
              • Patricia
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 20, 2004
                  Well, I wing it because nobody taught me, and I never did look up a
                  recipe. So please understand the lack of exact measurements.

                  recipe:
                  *about 1/2 of a 3 lb tub of Ricotta cheese
                  *1 to 2 eggs, depending on size (1 jumbo, 1 extra large, 1-2 large,
                  *2 medium...you get the idea...LOL)
                  a handful of superfine breadcrumbs (maybe 1/4 cup)
                  *some dried parsley - maybe a teaspoon or two - you'll have to
                  eyeball it
                  *a good handful of grated Romano cheese - probably 1/4 cup
                  *salt, to taste - I think I use about 1/2 tsp
                  *a pinch of cayenne, if desired

                  ~Patricia
                  P.S. - you really can't mess it up

                  <snip>