File - TLA.txt

  • frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2003
      TLA's and other Confusing Terms.

      What is a TLA? Three letter acronym. Think IBM, ATT, NBI... (
      actually NBI does not stand for anything anymore, but it used to .. )

      Here are some of these:

      ABM ~ Automatic Bread Machine

      ADMIN ~ a relatively important message from your list owner or
      moderators. We
      use them to comunicate list changes, Yahoo glitches, and to stop
      threads
      ( messages ) that have gotten out of hand.

      B1G1F/BOFOF ~ Buy One Get One Free. Grocery store promotion

      C/P ~ Crockpot ( a trademark of Rival ) or any other type of slow
      cooker. This abreviation is sometimes used in recipe titles. Also,
      CP ( no slash ).

      FAQ ~ Frequently Asked Questions (an informational post answering
      common questions on a topic).

      Flame ~ An angry message directed at another person or people.

      ISO ~ In Search Of

      LOL ~ Laughing out loud. Lots of variations ROTFL is rolling on the
      floor laughing, and is usually acompanied by MAO or PIMP, the meaning
      of which is left to be deduced by the reader.

      MC ~ Master Cook ~ Master Cook is recipe management software program
      by Sierra.

      OAMC ~ Once a month cooking ~ the term comes from the book "Once A
      Month Cooking" by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg

      OT ~ off topic.

      REC ~ The post includes a recipe

      Spam ~ Bulk email or Usenet posts that are massively crossposted or
      multi-posted. Some people call any out-of-place commercial post or
      email "spam."

      TNT ~ Tried and True

      TVP/TSP ~ Textured Vegetable Protein/Texturized Soy Protein

      Troll ~ An insincere message, posted in hopes of upsetting people,
      inciting arguments, and stirring up trouble.

      WW ~ Weight Watchers. "points" on many recipes refer to the number of
      Weight Watcher points on the recipe, per serving. These relate to the
      WW 1,2,3, success program.

      XPOST ~ Cross post. Posted to more than one mailing list or newsgroup
      at a time

      Other common Internet Acronyms

      KID AND FAMILY RELATED:

      BIL Brother-In-Law
      DCP Day Care Provider
      DD Dear Daughter
      DS Dear Son
      DH Dear Husband
      DW Dear Wife
      FIL Father-In-Law
      MIL Mother-In-Law
      SAH Stay at Home
      SIL Sister-In-Law
      SO Significant Other
      WAH Work At Home

      GENERAL EXPRESSIONS:

      AFAIK As Far As I Know
      BTDT Been There, Done That
      BTW By The Way
      FWIW For What It's Worth
      FYI For Your Information
      <G> Grin also <BG> big grin & <VBG> very big grin
      HTH Hope This Helps
      IIRC If I Recall Correctly
      IMHO In My Humble (or Honest) Opinion
      NAYY Not Associated, Yadda, Yadda ( disclaimer )
      OTOH On The Other Hand
      TIA Thanks In Advance
      TTFN Ta Ta For Now
      TTYL Talk To You Later
      TANSTAAFL There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
      XP Cross Post
      YMMV Your Mileage May Vary (i.e. every family is different and
      what worked for me may not work for you)
    • frozen-assets@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1 5:25 PM
              Have a question for you - recently I have seen the acronym BOW - what
              does that stand for?