Re: [frozen-assets] freezing onions

  • Maka
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 31, 2002
      From: <debbennett@...>
      << I tried dehydrating some a few years ago, but the smell nearly drove us
      from the house, even though I had them on the back porch! >>

      deb, me too! i totally agree, it KILLED us!! we didn't make it past the
      first two hours!

      i have trouble with freezing them too...my whole freezer smells like
      onions!!

      Love & Light....
      Maka, SAHM to Daystar (FSBC 6/23/91) & Griffin (UHB 7/11/99)

      Check out my auctions
      http://www.maka.net/auctions/
    • jo
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2002
        I have close to 100 pounds of onions in my net bags and at timers do
        freeze them. I paid between 10 and 17 cents apound for them, they are
        yellow onions. They will last 3 months in my household. We use lots of
        onions.
        A trick I learned for making onion rings to freeze is :
        We love the large ones rings so we use only the large other circles.
        We dice and freeze the rest.
        I will not freeze many of my hundred pounds unless they start to
        sprout.
        We love onion rings, fritters, breads, bagels ,rolls, soups, etc. I
        carmelize a good bit of them and freeze in recipes sizes. This makes
        for quick ingredients when cooking.
        Did you know that Mr. Hershey ,the inventor of mass chocolate came out
        with an onion ice cream.
        I do not think I would want that in my freezer!!!
        Scootin- long -the -shore is a standard dish in this household along
        with just plain fries potatoes and onions..paying 20 cents and under a
        pound for both makes very frugal dishes.
        I do an onion stock and freeze it. I have about 4 gallons of it in my
        freezer now in pints and quarts.
        It stands on it's own to use for soups ands sauces or mixed with such
        broths as garlic, poultry or beef.
        Mixing the garlic broth with the onions and poaching eggs in it. Is a
        fantastic dish ,served over slices of thick french or italian bread in
        a bowl.
        Have a great day full of blessings...jo...God bless

        debbennett@... wrote:

        > I buy 20 lbs of onions each year from a local girls' group.
        > but you may also be the world to one person.

      • Nan
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 26, 2003
          Yes you can freeze onions. Also celery.

          I freeze these to use in stir fries, fajitas (sp?), taco soup, casseroles, etc. Wonderful to have handy all the time.
          Nan

        • James A Ladley
          Message 4 of 13 , May 17 5:27 PM
            Hi Lori,
            Chopped onions freeze very well. I chop up a bunch of onions (or
            whatever leftover I didn't use in making a recipe) and put them in a
            container for the freezer. They're always ready to use, and your recipes
            go much quicker when you can just take them straight from the freezer to
            your stir fry, chili, etc.

            Kim in NY
          • FBandDb@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2003
              Hi Becca

              I freeze onions all the time. I chop them and put them in a ziploc - just
              like grated cheese. Pull out what you need and back in the freezer. They are
              fine for sauteing/cooking, but not for use if you want raw onions, then they
              are to soft.

              I freeze all my cooking seasoning veggies this way: bell peppers (all
              colors), celery, and onion.

              db

            • chantelle robertson
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 11, 2004
                i just saw this post don't know if you have gotten an answer yet or not but i freeze raw onion all the time but i only use it for hot dishes or something else to be cooked i wouldnt stick them into macroni salad or something for raw use i also freeze green peppers and celery for this purpose
                chantelle

                I have chopped and fried onions, and then frozen them successfully. I've never tried freezing raw onion.

                Karen