Re: [frozen-assets] salmon/tuna fishcakes

  • Gary and Wendy
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
      Hello Elaine
      I got this recipe from the back of a Tesco 400g tin of tuna, haven't got
      around to trying it yet, though.
      Cheers
      Wendy in UK (in Sussex - whereabouts are you?)

      Tuna burgers
      15g (1/2 oz) butter
      1 small onion, peeled & finely chopped
      1 clove garlic, peeled & crushed
      1 x 400g can Tesco tuna chunks in brine, well drained
      100g (4 oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
      50g (2 oz) cheddar cheese, grated
      15 ml (1 tb) mayonnaise
      15 ml (1 tb) parsley, chopped
      Beaten egg to bind

      1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan add the onion and garlic and cook
      for 3 minutes or until softened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
      2. Transfer the onion and garlic to a bowl and mix together with the tuna,
      breadcrumbs, cheese, mayonnaise, parsley and enough beaten egg to bind and
      form a pliable mixture.
      3. Divide the mixture into 6 equal amounts. Shape into burger shapes and
      chill in a fridge for at least 1 hour.
      4. Cook under a medium preheated grill for 8 - 10 minutes, until firm and
      golden, turning over halfway through.

      Serve in buns with salad.

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
        On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, elaine greenwood-hyde wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I wondered if anyone had a good recipe for salmon and or tuna
        > fishcakes? They have to be able to be either suitable for oven baking or

        I'm not sure how well it would freeze, but this is a TNT favorite of my
        husband and I!

        * Exported from MasterCook *

        Salmon Cakes

        Recipe By :
        Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
        Categories : Seafood

        14 ounces salmon -- drained and flaked
        1/2 cup bread crumbs
        1 whole egg -- slightly beaten
        1/4 cup onion -- chopped
        3 tablespoons Miracle Whip

        In medium bowl, combine salmon, Miracle Whip, egg, and onion. Add bread
        crumbs (1/4 to 1/2 cup) to hold the mixture together. Form into four
        evenly sized patties.

        Grease skillet with shortening, and place over medium heat. Once the
        skillet is hot, fry each pattie for 5 - 10 minutes or until desired
        brownness.

        Recipe by Patti Spicer (patti@...)

        *~*~*~*~*
        Patti Spicer patti@...

        "The silence is as important as the noise. What gets left out is
        as important as what gets included"
        --Sara Lawrence-Lightfoot, author of "I've Known Rivers"

        http://www.cyphergirl.com - My photography, cookbooks, thyroid info, and more!
      • HollyS@cvalley.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
          Hi Elaine!!

          Here's how I make Salmon patties ~ VERY easy!! :)

          1 Can of salmon ~ I remove the black skin and some of the bones so my kids
          will eat it, but you don't have too - the bones provide a great source of
          calcium :) add the "juice" also ~ if you want less salmon flavor, drain and
          discard the "juice"
          Add in a "few" crushed saltine crackers
          1 egg
          Onion to taste

          "fry" until warmed through and slightly browned ~ I do not add oil, just
          cook on a griddle pan.

          I know this is not very "technical" but this is how my mom taught me to make
          these :)

          This is one of my family favorites and it's inexpensive, and easy ~ how
          often does that happen ??!!

          Hope you like it.

          Holly Snyder in Missouri ~ we're waiting on snow!!
          Happy WAHMom to Nicole, Benjamin (4 yr.old & wants snow :), Hannah
          Wife to David (49 yr. old & doesn't want snow :)
          The Mom Team ~ Improving Wellness, One Family At A Time!
          http://hollysnyder.themomteam.com

          "If you want a place in the sun, you've got to put up with a few blisters."
          ~ Abigail VanBuren
        • Lpoqal@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
            <<Here's how I make Salmon patties ~ VERY easy!! :)

            I know this is not very "technical" but this is how my mom taught me to make these :)>>

            Holly:

            That is the exact same way my Mom taught me to make salmon patties. She (and now me) serve them with plain spaghetti (topped with salt & pepper & some ketchup at the table)and peas.

            You brought back such great long ago family memories with this one. We all looked forward to salmon patty night growing up and continue to enjoy today.

            Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today.

            Linda
          • elaine greenwood-hyde
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1, 2002
              HI,
              I'd just like to thank you all for the great recipes. I've got a lot to
              go on now. I think I need an American English to English English dictionary
              now Lol. So many items I've never heard of. I am now watching out for BOGOF
              (buy one get one free) offers on tuna and salmon. I am thinking of what to
              cook to put in the freezer, I think I will probably start off with just
              doing one or two recipes and graduate to full scale OAM cooking. Thanks a
              lot anyway, you've all been so helpful. :D

              Best Wishes, Elaine