Re: [frozen-assets] lasagna

  • Richard DuBrin
    Message 1 of 36 , Feb 1, 2002
      I am way behind on my messages and don't usually post much for this reason,
      but I LOVE this group and wanted to share a very easy (maybe freezer
      appropriate, but I'm new at this?) recipe I use a lot for Crockpot Lasagna.
      Also, especially when I'm in a hurry, I substitute store brand spaghetti
      sauce, 2 jars, and usually use jack cheese instead of Mozzarella (it's
      cheaper and no one notices the difference). Anyway, this recipe is quick to
      put together - I usually start it around noon, and it's ready by dinnertime.
      My whole family (kids age 3-11 and husband) loves it!
      Kathryn

      Crockpot Lasagna

      1 lb. ground beef
      1 large onion, chopped
      2 garlic cloves, minced
      1 can (29 oz) tomato sauce
      1 cup water
      1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
      1 tsp salt
      1 tsp. dried oregano
      1 package (8 oz) lasagna noodles
      4 cups (16 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
      1 1/2 cups (12 oz) ricotta cheese or small curd
      cottage cheese
      1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

      In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no
      longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, water,tomato paste, salt and
      oregano; mix well. Spread 1/4 of mixture in bottom of ungreased 5-qt
      crockpot or slow cooker. Arrange noodles over sauce (break the noodles as
      necessary). Combine the cheeses; spoon 1/3 of mixture over noodles. Repeat
      layers twice. Top with remaining meat sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4-5
      hours or until noodles are tender. Serves 6-8.
    • tenneyhj@aol.com
      Message 36 of 36 , Mar 15 6:46 AM
        This was my grandmother's recipe, she got lots of requests for it for dinners at our church and family dinners when I was growing up. Very simple to do! To make it faster for your bulk purposes, boil the meats, and use the unbaked noodles. this recipe makes 2 lasagnas. I make my own sauce now, so simple, but you can use jarred if you want. The slices of cheese will only cover about 3/4 of the pan, use the leftover slices folded in half to cover the rest.

        1 jar spaghetti sauce.
        1 lb hamburger
        1 lb italian sausage
        1 container ricotta or cottage cheese
        2 packages american cheese
        1 box lasagna noodles

        mix the hamburger and italian sausage together and cook. Drain and mix into spaghetti sauce. In lasagna pan layer: noodles, meat sauce, ricotta cheese, noodles, sauce, ricotta cheese, then top the whole thing with one layer of american cheese slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

        You can cook it first, then freeze and reheat, or freeze then cook, doesn't matter. I've done it both ways. Each pan makes 6 large slices.

        .´¨*·.¸¸Heather Tenney¸¸.·*¨`·

        http://truthinpolitics.contentquake.com/