My First OAMC disaster

  • Williams, Tonya
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
      I know how you feel. I heard about OAMC last year and tried a session, and
      it was an utter disaster. It was so bad, I've forgotten most of what
      happened. What I do remember is a sinkful of dishes, only some of my recipes
      done (and they turned out to be the ones I liked least), a busted mini-food
      processor, and very sore feet.

      But I'm gonna give it another try. I'm gearing up for a session this
      Saturday (the first since last year's debacle). You would think I was
      gearing up for a prizefight the way I've been preparing (strains from the
      theme from "Rocky" heard in the background). Please send good vibes my way
      this Saturday. I'm gonna need it.
    • Tami L Barrett
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
        Just a reminder that freezer cooking and efficiency isn't always the same
        exact process for everybody. I don't strictly do once a MONTH cooking, I
        think that'd kill me dead, don't have the energy for that. What I do is
        plan and shop for a month in advance, then when I cook an item for the
        first time that month, I cook it in triplicate or even more and freeze
        leftovers for later use. It works for me. I encourage you to explore
        the concept within the parameters of what works for you. don't feel like
        you have to do it exactly like someone else does.
        For instance--- I've had a batch of chalupa on the stove for 3 days.
        When I put it on, I also put on a big roast. We ate roast beef open face
        sandwiches out of that roast for dinner that nite, then I'm making the
        leftovers into bbq today for tonite's dinner. The chalupa is done and
        cooling-- I'll bag it and freeze in single meal size portions, it'll make
        probably 15 or so. I have some bananas that have been ripening-- plan to
        make a couple of 9x13 sheets of banana bread later today. Will cut them
        into 3 loaves each, wrap one for tomorrow breakfast and wrap and freeze
        the others for later. I kind of cook as I go and don't over do it.
        That's what works for me. Some weeks I don't cook, others I cook alot.
        De[pends on how I feel and what's in the freezer, etc.

        btw, chalupa is a mexican thing I do. It's modified (as is everything I
        do I think!) from some freebie magazine I can't remember who put it out
        but it was some pre-packaged food company. Start with 2 pounds of rinsed
        pinto beans and a big pork roast (whatever's on sale or in the freezer).
        Add a bunch of chile peppers, salt, pepper, chili powder, hot sauce,
        whatever you like. Garlic's good too. Cook it til the meat falls apart
        (remove bone if necessary_), and it thickens a bit. Spoon hot mixture
        over fresh fried corn tortillas (i prefer white, don't make my own, just
        fry the pre-made ones), and top with cheese, tomatoes, guacemole,
        whatever. prepare to eat too much. I freeze it in quart bags, thaw in
        the microwave and warm in a saucepan while frying the tort's.

        enjoy!

        On Thu, 1 Nov 2001 07:35:17 -0600 "Williams, Tonya"
        <twilliams@...> writes:
        > I know how you feel. I heard about OAMC last year and tried a
        > session, and
        > it was an utter disaster. It was so bad, I've forgotten most of what
        > happened. What I do remember is a sinkful of dishes, only some of my
        > recipes
        > done (and they turned out to be the ones I liked least), a busted
        > mini-food
        > processor, and very sore feet.

        [[[snipped by list auntie]]]
      • Earthly Enchantments
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
          >>What I do is plan and shop for a month in advance, then when I cook an item for thefirst time that month, I cook it in triplicate or even more and freeze
          leftovers for later use.<<

          As do I. Even if you cannot double or triple your recipe, try to make enough extra so that you can freeze at least 1 or 2 servings. That way, when your tempted to go out for an evening (b/c you don't feel like cooking), you'll have a slew of meals to choose from.

          When I make a big meal, I often have no desire to eat if for the next week. (Or even the next day.) I simply package it and freeze it. Also, its very easy to reheat 2-4 different meals, simply toss them in the microwave or place them on a cookie sheet in the oven to reheat, you can put 4-6 different meal servings on a cookie sheet.

          (Baked stuffed haddock w/ newburg & a serving of Lasagne, a serving of chicken Marsala, and Bacon/Casserole was one that I threw together recently. Heating them up in the oven on low heat (200-250) takes just a few minutes and the flavors don't mingle. Everyone in the family got one of their favorite meals... and for a side dish, salad. (We have salad with almost every dinner). I make a big bowl on Sun and again on Wednesdays.

          I got burnt out quickly trying to do all the meals in 1 weekend with OAMC, only b/c .. my family still wanted to eat after the weekend was over, and I didn't want to SEE food, let alone Eat Food.

          Pace yourself.. Make just a couple meals every other day... keep trying different things to see what works best for you, but don't give up on stocking your freezer!

          <g>

          Liss

        • Mary Beth Wray
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
            I think that you are on the right track with all your early prep work.
            Something that I had to learn the hard way too! Besides doing all your
            shopping, and chopping your veggies a day or two before hand, I have found
            that pre-cooking some of your meats is VERY helpful.

            I use my crock pots to cook my chicken, roasts, etc., before the big cooking
            day. You can cook your chicken - either whole chickens or cut up - in the
            CP over night (or all day - about 8 hrs on low or 4 hrs on high) with a
            little salt & pepper. If you like, add a little water and you will have a
            nice broth to use in your recipes at no cost!

            Also, a nice beef or pork roast cooked very slowly (8 -10 on low) will add a
            great deal to your menu. You will need to add liquid to your roast, either
            water, beef broth or soda (the carbonation makes the meat very tender!).
            You can have a meal of roast with veggies - if you cook your potatoes &
            carrots in the CP, place on the bottom then add your roast then top with
            onions - for some reason this works best for me. Also, slice for
            sandwiches, shred & add BBQ sauce, or slice with BBQ sauce, shred and add
            taco seasoning or salsa for tacos or burritos, etc., chop up for filling in
            a meat pot pie,...the list is endless.

            The nice thing about this is you throw it in and forget about it! If you do
            it early, you can store the meat in the fridge and it will be cool enough to
            handle plus you can remove most of the fat a lot easier when cold.

            If you have more than one CP like I do (I have 3), you can also cook beans
            in them. Pre-soak your beans over night, rinse your beans & add to CP.
            Cover with water and add your favorite spices. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hrs
            until tender.

            One last tip - make sure your CP lid fits well. If it doesn't the moisture
            will escape and your food will dry out. My large CP has a lid that just
            doesn't fit quite right, so I put a piece of foil in between the CP and the
            lid. It works wonders! Hope some of this helps - Mary Beth in Texas

            > I know how you feel. I heard about OAMC last year and tried a session, and
            > it was an utter disaster. It was so bad, I've forgotten most of what
            > happened. What I do remember is a sinkful of dishes, only some of my
            recipes
            > done (and they turned out to be the ones I liked least), a busted
            mini-food
            > processor, and very sore feet.
            >
            > But I'm gonna give it another try. I'm gearing up for a session this
            > Saturday (the first since last year's debacle). You would think I was
            > gearing up for a prizefight the way I've been preparing (strains from the
            > theme from "Rocky" heard in the background). Please send good vibes my way
            > this Saturday. I'm gonna need it.

          • nessa nunya
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2001
              How wonderful to know I'm not the only one who does this!
              I normally cook one or two main meals a week. Always on the weekends.
              Its just me and my SO, and It works fab for me. I also prepackage the whole
              meal most the time. So If I make meatloaf, I get out my lil tupperware
              things, and put one serving of meatloaf, mashed taters, gravy and veggie and
              then lid, label and freeze. My SO has a weird schedule and this way he
              always has a meal ready to take with, or heat up at home. And I do to for
              that matter, or If I dont like what Ive made for him, I'll whip up
              something light and make enough for a few extra meals. If I think he will
              like it i freeze for him, if not, i just put the meal together and leave
              the individual servings in the frige for me. I'm WAY too messy and
              unorganized to be able to do a whole month in one session. But the nice
              thing is, my meals have a pretty high turnover rates so we dont get bored
              with something. and if we do, we just leave it in the freezer another month
              and its new again!

              Vanessa