Re: [frozen-assets] sugared/candied violets

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2001
      Found this, hope it's what you're looking for. Unfortunately it says
      nothing about how long the flowers keep.

      Cheers

      Wendy in UK

      Candied Roses & Violets
      1 cup small rosebuds or 2 cups violets
      100ml / 4 fl oz water
      250g / 8oz granulated sugar

      The flowers should be gathered early when the dew has just dried. Bring the
      water to the boil and remove from heat. Stir in the sugar until dissolved.
      Remove stems from the flowers, lightly wash and drain them without bruising
      in a colander. Put the syrup back on the heat and stir in the flowers.
      Cook gently to 115C / 240F (soft ball stage). Take off the heat and stir
      with a wooden spoon until the syrup begins to granulate to the texture of
      coarse meal. Pour the contents of the pan into a colander and shake off the
      extra sugar as the flowers cool. Store in jars with the lids sealed with
      sticky tape.
      From the WI Complete Book of Preserving.

      Subject: [frozen-assets] sugared/candied violets

      > Does anyone know how long they last?
      >
      > I never get to it in the spring and this year I have a bumper crop, so
      > I'm going to try. I don't have a recipe yet, but when I do I'll let
      > everyone know how I did.
      >
      > Samantha
      > Samantha and Gary Ellis sg.ellis@...

    • Deanna
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2001
        Hi Samantha,

        I have candied lots of violets and other flowers. They last a very
        long time! I have some still in jars that I did for my mother's
        birthday cake 12 years ago! They were stored loosely packed, in layers,
        each jar with a little silica gel-pack I rescued and recycled from other
        food product packages (I microwaved the packs to get rid of accumulated
        moisture in them). I recently found them in the back of a cupboard or
        they'd have been gone long ago. We have eaten several already (my kids
        think they are the best candy ever!), and though the color has faded
        some, they taste just about the same as freshly done.

        Deanna