[frozen-assets] Re: Sticky Roast Chicken in Crockpot?

  • Lynn Nelson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 1999
      Beth H. wrote:

      > I'm wondering if anyone has tried making the Sticky
      > Roast Chicken in a crockpot. I think someone did and
      > Oh well...right now it's 97 degrees here in Eastern NM
      > and I really want to turn off the oven ASAP.

      Hi Beth,
      I'm the original poster of the Sticky Chicken recipe so I'll try to
      answer your question. But if anyone else has information, please share
      it.

      First, the oven temperature for this recipe is only 250 degrees, that
      shouldn't really heat up the kitchen. Use an oven thermometer to make
      sure your oven's thermostat is accurate.

      I've never made Sticky Chicken in the crockpot, but I wouldn't recommend
      it. It wouldn't be the same dish at all. The spices on the skin sort of
      caramelize during the low, long roasting, making a delicious crispy,
      chewy, sticky skin. The crockpot makes rubbery skin (IMO). I do cook
      chicken all the time in the crockpot, but mainly for the meat and broth.

      I've received so many questions about this recipe (can I use a turkey,
      can I cook it in the crockpot, can I cook it on the grill, can I use
      chicken parts, etc) that I should do a Sticky Chicken FAQ! LOL!

      Now if anyone has actually tried cooking it in the crockpot, could you
      share the results please?
      Thanks!
      Lynn
      BUSY COOKS - http://busycooks.about.com