This may be a dumb question but....

  • bjstrutz
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      I see many main course dishes being posted. Do most of you just do the main
      course and then as that is "warming up" do you fix your side dishes? How
      many of you do mostly raw veggies and fruits to go along with your meals?
      Do you also make your desserts up ahead of time? Like tripling a cookie
      recipe or something? I am very new to this and all I do is cook up the
      meats ahead of time (tacos, spag., sloppy joes etc.). I only have the
      fridge freezer, so I don't have much room. Plus, what are good meals for
      toddlers? 3 of my 4 children are 4 and under. They mostly like pizza and
      fastfood hambugers. HELP! I really don't mind the cooking, it is the
      healthy meal planning that I have a MAJOR problem with.

      TIA,
      Jennifer *S*
    • qoe@sna.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2000
        At 01:00 PM 9/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
        >I see many main course dishes being posted. Do most of you just do the main
        >course and then as that is "warming up" do you fix your side dishes? How
        >many of you do mostly raw veggies and fruits to go along with your meals?
        >Do you also make your desserts up ahead of time? Like tripling a cookie
        >recipe or something? I am very new to this and all I do is cook up the
        >meats ahead of time (tacos, spag., sloppy joes etc.). I only have the
        >fridge freezer, so I don't have much room. Plus, what are good meals for
        >toddlers? 3 of my 4 children are 4 and under. They mostly like pizza and
        >fastfood hambugers. HELP! I really don't mind the cooking, it is the
        >healthy meal planning that I have a MAJOR problem with.
        >
        >TIA,
        >Jennifer *S*

        Hi Jennifer,

        My kids are 6 and 9 and only seem to be getting pickier by the
        minute. It's very frustrating! As I'm sure you know all too well with you
        little ones. I'm finding that the plainer I keep a meal the more they'll
        eat. When I do a lot of casserole type things they don't usually want to
        even try the food. Mine like beans and Mexican food, so I try to serve
        that type of meal at least once a week.

        As for freezing my food. I do main course mostly. I'll have some twice
        baked potatoes usually that's about it. I ususally cook up a main course
        with some steam veggies and either have some bread or potatoes or rice to
        go with the dish. Keeps things plainer for the kids and easier for
        me. For instance I'll make the Chinese Simmered chicker recipe. I'll
        steam up some green vegetable like broccolli, asparagus, or chinese pea
        pods and cook up some rice. Healthy meal not too complicated for the kids.

        Regards,
        Lynne