lots of changes to my site

  • artsyrat
    Message 1 of 18 , May 3, 2009
      Hello...
      I hope I can make this as brief as possible because I have a lot going on with a bunch of questions.
      1. I've made major changes to my website, design, using css/xhtml, more pages, more content, turned off FP extensions, added a form that I'm not sure even works, added a little bit of Javescript for a image viewer, etc.. For this my question is...Is there anything I need to consider when publishing my re-worked site to my host and getting rid of my old site?

      2. My host will no longer be supporting FP extensions so I no longer use the extensions either. However, I'm not sure how to publish my site to them without the extensions. I have contacted them about this but their reply did not answer my question. (frustrating) So I am asking someone here, do I just continue to publish my site the way I always have while I was using the FP extensions or is there another way I need to publish my site to my host?

      3. I am looking forward to buying Expression Web2 but I cannot buy it now, the economy has put us in a very uncomfortable position. My questions here...how does one go about publishing their site to their host with Expression Web2?

      Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions. It's nice having folks out there to communicate with on subjects like this!

      Artsyrat
    • James S. Huggins (dot com)
      Message 2 of 18 , May 3, 2009
        =================================
        1. I've made major changes to my website, design, using css/xhtml, more
        pages, more content, turned off FP extensions, added a form that I'm not
        sure even works, added a little bit of Javescript for a image viewer, etc..
        For this my question is...Is there anything I need to consider when
        publishing my re-worked site to my host and getting rid of my old site?
        =================================

        Yes; test before implementation

        For example, you can obtain a new domain name for less than $10.00 (e.g.,
        http://www.NameCheap.com) and depending on your host may be able to put up a
        separate test site for free (e.g., http://1and1.com has a basic Linux
        hosting package for $4.00 per month allowing 20 websites/domain names);
        services like can allow you to publish and review and test the new site
        without removing the old site; or just publish the new pages under a new
        subdirectory; there are many approaches

        2. My host will no longer be supporting FP extensions so I no longer use the
        extensions either. However, I'm not sure how to publish my site to them
        without the extensions. I have contacted them about this but their reply
        did not answer my question. (frustrating) So I am asking someone here, do I
        just continue to publish my site the way I always have while I was using the
        FP extensions or is there another way I need to publish my site to my host?

        My personal advice is to move away from FP Extensions months ago; one free
        and very functional tool is Filezilla (http://www.Filezilla-project.org)

        3. I am looking forward to buying Expression Web2 but I cannot buy it now,
        the economy has put us in a very uncomfortable position. My questions
        here...how does one go about publishing their site to their host with
        Expression Web2?

        EW2 has better built in publishing than FP and does not require Server
        Extensions. That said, my PERSONAL choice is to use an external tool like
        Filezilla (though mostly I use WS_FTP Professional)

        James S. Huggins

      • Joyce Reid
        Message 3 of 18 , May 3, 2009
          James:  When 1and1 quit using FP extensions, I started using Core as the ftp.  As far as I have been able to determine with Core, I have to make a list of the changed files and then transfer each file individually instead of having Core find all the changed files (as FP extensions did) and upload all the changed  or new files at once.

          Does Filezilla have the ability to transfer files in the same way as FP extensions or am I stuck with transferring them one at a time.

          Joyce

        • James S. Huggins (dot com)
          Message 4 of 18 , May 3, 2009
            =========================
            Does Filezilla have the ability to transfer files in the same way as FP
            extensions or am I stuck with transferring them one at a time.
            =========================

            No, it won't find "changed", but don't do it one at a time.

            List them in changed order and just upload the most recent changed.

            Do you understand?

            James

          • Martha
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3, 2009
              Hi Joyce,

              I use Core FTP as well. I find that if you click the 'Date', it will list
              all of the changed pages. Then you can select the changed items and upload
              them all at once. You will be prompted to overwrite and just choose
              'Overwrite all'.

              Of course if you have changed items in folders you do have to open the
              folder and upload the changed item to the folder showing in Core.

              Martha

              Message 6 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                At 11:40 AM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
                >My host will no longer be supporting FP extensions so I no longer
                >use the extensions either. However, I'm not sure how to publish my
                >site to them without the extensions. I have contacted them about
                >this but their reply did not answer my question. (frustrating) So I
                >am asking someone here, do I just continue to publish my site the
                >way I always have while I was using the FP extensions or is there
                >another way I need to publish my site to my host?
                >
                >3. I am looking forward to buying Expression Web2 but I cannot buy
                >it now, the economy has put us in a very uncomfortable position. My
                >questions here...how does one go about publishing their site to
                >their host with Expression Web2?
                ============

                You can still publish your site from within FrontPage or Expression
                Web even if the server extensions are NOT installed on your server.
                You simply publish to ftp instead of http

                http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gearyfamily/frontpage/publishing-frontpage-2003.html

                http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/publishing-website.html

                Having done it both ways, it is faster to use a 3rd party ftp program.

                pat

                Pat Geary
                Microsoft MVP - Expression
                http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/
                http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/

                Migrating from FrontPage to Expression Web EBook
                http://frontpage-to-expression.com/

              • Tina Clarke
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                  For the month of May and if you live in the UK you can get 40% off the
                  purchase price of Expression Web 2.0 and upgrade plus other Expression
                  Applications..

                  Find out more at:

                  http://www.expression-web.net/expression-web-sale/

                  So if you are eligible for an upgrade (see the above link) and also get the
                  40% off .. your laughing all the way to the bank.... a great credit crunch
                  saving.

                  Tina
                  Expression Web Tips Vo ll Ebook with 26 orginal tips
                  Bonus includes EW Regular Expression Query - Launch price $7
                  Bundled with Vol l, you can obtain both ebooks for $13
                  http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/
                • COURYHOUSE@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                    is the sale still on for us

                    n a message dated 5/3/2009 12:51:53 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
                    TinaClarke@... writes:

                    For the month of May and if you live in the UK you can get 40% off the
                    purchase price of Expression Web 2.0 and upgrade plus other Expression
                    Applications.A

                    Find out more at:

                    _http://www.expressihttp://www.http://www.http://ww_
                    (http://www.expression-web.net/expression-web-sale/)

                    So if you are eligible for an upgrade (see the above link) and also get
                    the
                    40% off .. your laughing all the way to the bank.... a great credit crunch
                    saving.

                    Tina
                    Expression Web Tips Vo ll Ebook with 26 orginal tips
                    Bonus includes EW Regular Expression Query - Launch price $7
                    Bundled with Vol l, you can obtain both ebooks for $13
                    _http://any-expressihttp://any-exprehttp://any-ex_
                    (http://any-expression.com/expression-web/ebooks/)

                    **************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
                    Steps!
                    (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376998x1201454298/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=M
                    ay5309AvgfooterNO62)

                  • Pat Geary
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                      At 04:01 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:

                      >is the sale still on for us

                      No the US Sale is over. UK Only.

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                        guess I will wait.. or run the nuk version... heck they speak english...
                        what is to prevent me from running uk?

                        At 04:01 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:

                        >is the sale still on for us

                        No the US Sale is over. UK Only.

                        pat

                        Pat Geary
                        Microsoft MVP - Expression
                        _http://www.genealoghttp://www.geneahttp_
                        (http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/)
                        _http://www.expressihttp://www.exprehttp:_

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                          At 04:07 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
                          >guess I will wait.. or run the nuk version... heck they speak english...
                          >what is to prevent me from running uk?
                          =============
                          Well, unless you are purchasing it using pounds, I doubt very highly
                          if the sale will go through.

                          pat

                        • James S. Huggins (dot com)
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                            ======================================
                            >guess I will wait.. or run the nuk version... heck they speak english...
                            >what is to prevent me from running uk?
                            =============
                            Well, unless you are purchasing it using pounds, I doubt very highly
                            if the sale will go through.

                            pat
                            ======================================

                            Yes, you would need someone "there" to buy it for you. And probably take
                            delivery and ship it to you. Otherwise the sale probably won't to thru.

                            James S. Huggins

                          • COURYHOUSE@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                              :I will just wait..... I need the encoder more right now more than the
                              web part...

                              ======================================
                              >guess I will wait.. or run the nuk version... heck they speak english...
                              >what is to prevent me from running uk?
                              =============
                              Well, unless you are purchasing it using pounds, I doubt very highly
                              if the sale will go through.

                              pat
                              ======================================

                              Yes, you would need someone "there" to buy it for you. And probably take
                              delivery and ship it to you. Otherwise the sale probably won't to thru.

                              James S. Huggins

                              **************The Average US Credit Score is 692. See Yours in Just 2 Easy
                              Steps!
                              (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222376998x1201454298/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=M
                              ay5309AvgfooterNO62)

                            • H Davis
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                Does anyone know if EW, in doing an update, relies on the fact that the
                                local files have some kind of marker indicating that they have changed
                                since the last time they were sent to the server or if it checks the
                                date/time stamp of the corresponding file on the server to determine
                                whether to update that file?

                                H Davis

                                Pat Geary wrote:

                                > At 11:40 AM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
                                > >My host will no longer be supporting FP extensions so I no longer
                                > >use the extensions either. However, I'm not sure how to publish my
                                > >site to them without the extensions. I have contacted them about
                                > >this but their reply did not answer my question. (frustrating) So I
                                > >am asking someone here, do I just continue to publish my site the
                                > >way I always have while I was using the FP extensions or is there
                                > >another way I need to publish my site to my host?
                                > >
                                > >3. I am looking forward to buying Expression Web2 but I cannot buy
                                > >it now, the economy has put us in a very uncomfortable position. My
                                > >questions here...how does one go about publishing their site to
                                > >their host with Expression Web2?
                                > ============
                                >
                                > You can still publish your site from within FrontPage or Expression
                                > Web even if the server extensions are NOT installed on your server.
                                > You simply publish to ftp instead of http
                                >
                                > http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gearyfamily/frontpage/publishing-frontpage-2003.html
                                > <http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/%7Egearyfamily/frontpage/publishing-frontpage-2003.html>
                                >
                                > http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/publishing-website.html
                                > <http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/publishing-website.html>
                                >
                                > Having done it both ways, it is faster to use a 3rd party ftp program.
                                >
                                > pat
                                >
                                > Pat Geary
                                > Microsoft MVP - Expression
                                > http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/
                                > <http://www.genealogy-web-creations.com/>
                                > http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/
                                > <http://www.expression-web-tutorials.com/>
                                >
                                > Migrating from FrontPage to Expression Web EBook
                                > http://frontpage-to-expression.com/ <http://frontpage-to-expression.com/>

                                H Davis hdavis1@...

                              • Pat Geary
                                Message 15 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                  At 05:20 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
                                  >Does anyone know if EW, in doing an update, relies on the fact that the
                                  >local files have some kind of marker indicating that they have changed
                                  >since the last time they were sent to the server or if it checks the
                                  >date/time stamp of the corresponding file on the server to determine
                                  >whether to update that file?
                                • James S. Huggins (dot com)
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                    ==========================
                                    Does anyone know if EW, in doing an update, relies on the fact that the
                                    local files have some kind of marker indicating that they have changed
                                    since the last time they were sent to the server or if it checks the
                                    date/time stamp of the corresponding file on the server to determine
                                    whether to update that file?

                                    H Davis
                                    ==========================

                                    My belief is that it uses door number 2: checking the mod date info.

                                    James S. Huggins

                                  • H Davis
                                    Message 17 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                      Thanks Pat.

                                      H Davis

                                      Pat Geary wrote:

                                      > At 05:20 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote:
                                      > >Does anyone know if EW, in doing an update, relies on the fact that the
                                      > >local files have some kind of marker indicating that they have changed
                                      > >since the last time they were sent to the server or if it checks the
                                      > >date/time stamp of the corresponding file on the server to determine
                                      > >whether to update that file?

                                      H Davis hdavis1@...

                                    • Cheryl D Wise
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 3, 2009
                                        You have to buy it in pounds and have a UK billing address. Do the math -
                                        you won't save anything over what you can get on Amazon.com or other
                                        discounter.

                                        Cheryl D Wise
                                        http://by-expression.com

                                        At 04:01 PM 5/3/2009, you wrote: