Re: [frontpage] Internet Explorer 'Edit' function

  • Derek Andrews
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
      Tina Clarke wrote:
      > Have you tried using FrontPage to open the site instead of launching from the
      > browser?

      > "Open up FrontPage close down any webs you have open
      > File | Open | on the pop up box click 'Web Folders' on the left hand menu
      > Insert the url of the site you wish to open
      > e.g.: http://www.accessfp.net/
      > Click ok
      > A box will appear asking for your username and password insert these press ok

      Thanks Tina. Didn't know you could do that! But I tried, and got as far
      as entering the username/password, but it won't allow me access. It
      actually pops up the authentication dialogue box three times then it
      says something like: You do not have permission to modify this document.
      Do you want to open a read-only copy?

      I wonder if the server could be set up to only allow access from certain
      IP addresses? It is hosted on our regional library server, and I don't
      have trouble accessing it from a library computer, thought the system
      manager tells me he uses his dial up connection from home.

      --
      Derek Andrews, woodturner
      http://www.sunrisewoodcrafts.ns.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        > Thanks Tina. Didn't know you could do that! But I tried, and got as far
        > as entering the username/password, but it won't allow me access. It
        > actually pops up the authentication dialogue box three times then it
        > says something like: You do not have permission to modify this document.
        > Do you want to open a read-only copy?

        That means the section you want to open is being used by someone... or you have
        not been given permission if you don't have the right codes... I would get back
        to the person in charge and work though this with them

        > I wonder if the server could be set up to only allow access from certain
        > IP addresses? It is hosted on our regional library server, and I don't
        > have trouble accessing it from a library computer, thought the system
        > manager tells me he uses his dial up connection from home.

        yes it could be the ip addresses.. I would ask the person in charge exactly how
        the permissions are set up... you need to be speaking to someone who has
        knowledge of servers and permissions... I suggest joining the
        pws-list@yahoogroups.com as they are good at this sort of thing...

        hth Tina

        AccessFP - FrontPage Resource Centre
        Site - http://www.accessfp.net/