Setting up CVS to update Frontier

  • David Gewirtz
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 22, 2005
      I've written up some docs for setting up CVS to update the
      FrontierKernel. This is my first use of CVS, so constructive
      comments and corrections would be appreciated. I'll make changes as
      appropriate.

      http://manila.zatz.com/frontierkernel/stories/storyReader$10
    • Andre Radke
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 23, 2005
        At 2:22 Uhr +0000 23.03.2005, David Gewirtz wrote:
        >I've written up some docs for setting up CVS to update the
        >FrontierKernel. This is my first use of CVS, so constructive
        >comments and corrections would be appreciated. I'll make changes as
        >appropriate.
        >
        >http://manila.zatz.com/frontierkernel/stories/storyReader$10

        Thanks, David. Let me recommend the CVS book to anyone who is new to CVS:

        http://cvsbook.org/

        The first edition is available online in HTML and other formats while
        the third edition is only available in PDF. I recommend the latter as
        it contains extended information and practical examples about using
        CVS in open source projects.

        -Andre
      • Max Lyth
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 18, 2005
          Andre

          I have been working on fixing on the broken coercion handlers in Frontier on
          X, in particular the problem with coercing ObjectSpecifiers to strings. I'm
          very certain that I've fixed it but I'm not sure what the next stage is. I'm
          not familiar with CVS on SourceForge or who polices check-ins.

          I also have been using Shark to find many memory leaks in Frontier on X but
          in the absence of any unit testing suite I have no way to test whether my
          fixes have been over aggressive. Should we create a fork for these changes
          or incorporate them into the bleeding edge build?

          Max...
          --------
          Max Lyth, Technology Director
          Automatrix plc

          49 Corsica Street, Highbury Fields, London N5 1JT, UK
          ml@... http://www.automatrix.co.uk
          Tel:+44 20 7354 7500 Company Fax:+44 20 7354 7501
          Direct:+44 20 7354 7521 Direct Fax:+44 870 120 9097
          Mobile:+44 777 44 222 40
        • Jeremy Bowers
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
            Max Lyth wrote:
            > I also have been using Shark to find many memory leaks in Frontier on X but
            > in the absence of any unit testing suite I have no way to test whether my
            > fixes have been over aggressive.

            I haven't had any energy to devote to things lately and I have not been
            able to champian this as I'd like. But "It Really Ought"(TM) to be
            checked in as a .root file under the version control system, so people
            can add to it. I just don't have the time. (Sorry, Andre, still haven't
            made the changes from the last email. *Everything's* on hold with me at
            the moment.)

            It ships with at least some stuff, but I don't know where your work has
            been so I have no idea if it would exercise it.
          • Jeremy Bowers
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
              icreedon wrote:
              > How about we set fUnit up to be a Suite that would live in
              > Frontier.root, which I would place on SourceForge? I've got a copy
              > set up here, ready to go.
              >
              > What I'd like to do is set it up as a branch on SourceForge and then
              > merge down the road.
              >
              > What do you think?

              That would be ideal.

              I do not want "ownership" of fUnit; first, I can't keep up with the
              responsibilities that would be entailed by that at the moment, and
              second, its nature is such that a lot of people should/would be adding
              things to it. (It is set up so that if some other project created a test
              suite, all you need is one address entry in the fUnit data area;
              hopefully this is practical.)

              As long as the test suite is kept up so everything passes, a testing
              suite tends to be self-managing anyhow.
            • icreedon
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                Hello Jeremy,

                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Bowers <jerf@j...> wrote:

                > I haven't had any energy to devote to things lately and I have not been
                > able to champian this as I'd like. But "It Really Ought"(TM) to be
                > checked in as a .root file under the version control system, so people
                > can add to it. I just don't have the time. (Sorry, Andre, still haven't
                > made the changes from the last email. *Everything's* on hold with me at
                > the moment.)
                >
                > It ships with at least some stuff, but I don't know where your work has
                > been so I have no idea if it would exercise it.

                How about we set fUnit up to be a Suite that would live in
                Frontier.root, which I would place on SourceForge? I've got a copy
                set up here, ready to go.

                What I'd like to do is set it up as a branch on SourceForge and then
                merge down the road.

                What do you think?

                Thoughts folks?

                Toodle-loooooooo..........
                Thomas

                editHere.com < http://www.editHere.com/ > website hosting service.
                Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it! (sm)
              • icreedon
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                  Hello Max,

                  --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Max Lyth <ml-frontierdev@a...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have been working on fixing on the broken coercion handlers in
                  Frontier on
                  > X, in particular the problem with coercing ObjectSpecifiers to strings.

                  Kewlo!

                  I'm
                  > very certain that I've fixed it but I'm not sure what the next stage
                  is. I'm
                  > not familiar with CVS on SourceForge or who polices check-ins.

                  How extensive are the fixes? Are the changes concentrated in just a
                  few files? Are there some major changes to the underlying code or is
                  it more that you had to change some calls to the OS or bit twiddling?

                  Several of us are watching and testing new code that is checked into
                  the experimental version (10.1x).

                  If the changes are not major and are in just a few files. I'm sure
                  one of us regular users of SF could get the files via email or other
                  method and handle doing the check-in. If there were problems with the
                  code, it wouldn't be to hard to do a roll back.

                  If the changes are more extensive then we could set up a branch.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                    Thanks Jeremy, this will be a pretty good start but the code I am looking
                    for leaks in is Mac specific and is the area that is very weak on OS X. In
                    particular I'm looking at coercion handlers between ObjectSpecifiers and
                    Records/Lists/Binaries/String etc plus AppleEvent transmission and event
                    handlers.

                    I've already found dozens of leaks (Shark really is an awesome tool) and
                    Frontier on X is already far far less prone to ballooning and slowing to a
                    crawl. However I want to be certain that I have not broken anything or
                    missed anything.

                    Jeremy hinted at a tool called SuperStressTest that was used at Userland to
                    test the functionality of the interpreter and I wonder how much AppleEvent
                    stuff this contained. Does anyone have access to a copy of this? Failing
                    that does anyone with a basic knowledge of the Shark or MallocDebug tools
                    want to volunteer to test my build?

                    Max...
                    --------
                    Max Lyth, Technology Director
                    Automatrix plc

                    49 Corsica Street, Highbury Fields, London N5 1JT, UK
                    ml@... http://www.automatrix.co.uk
                    Tel:+44 20 7354 7500 Company Fax:+44 20 7354 7501
                    Direct:+44 20 7354 7521 Direct Fax:+44 870 120 9097
                    Mobile:+44 777 44 222 40

                    > From: Jeremy Bowers <jerf@...>
                    > Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:22:16 -0400
                    > To: <frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com>
                    > Subject: Re: [frontierkernel] AppleEvents in Frontier 10.0a2
                    >
                    > Max Lyth wrote:
                    >> I also have been using Shark to find many memory leaks in Frontier on X but
                    >> in the absence of any unit testing suite I have no way to test whether my
                    >> fixes have been over aggressive.

                    > I haven't had any energy to devote to things lately and I have not been
                    > able to champian this as I'd like. But "It Really Ought"(TM) to be
                    > checked in as a .root file under the version control system, so people
                    > can add to it. I just don't have the time. (Sorry, Andre, still haven't
                    > made the changes from the last email. *Everything's* on hold with me at
                    > the moment.)
                    >
                    > It ships with at least some stuff, but I don't know where your work has
                    > been so I have no idea if it would exercise it.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Max Lyth
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                      The changes to fix the ObjectSpecifier to string coercion that has caused so
                      many problems was only in two functions in LangSysTypes.c. However my
                      crusade against leaks has led my further afield into aeutils.c, langipc.c,
                      shellbuttons.c and more.

                      I'd be happy for someone to check these changes in for me, are you
                      volunteering Thomas? I am familiar with CVS and use it for my private
                      projects, I've just never worked on a Sourceforge project before so my
                      question was more about etiquette. Is there a single person who approves the
                      diffs or is it a free for all? Who so I speak to about getting write access
                      to the Frontier CVS?

                      Max...
                      --------
                      Max Lyth, Technology Director
                      Automatrix plc

                      49 Corsica Street, Highbury Fields, London N5 1JT, UK
                      ml@... http://www.automatrix.co.uk
                      Tel:+44 20 7354 7500 Company Fax:+44 20 7354 7501
                      Direct:+44 20 7354 7521 Direct Fax:+44 870 120 9097
                      Mobile:+44 777 44 222 40

                      > From: icreedon <icreedon@...>
                      > Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 16:47:26 -0000
                      > To: <frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com>
                      > Subject: [frontierkernel] Re: AppleEvents in Frontier 10.1x
                      >
                      > Hello Max,
                      >
                      > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Max Lyth <ml-frontierdev@a...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      >> I have been working on fixing on the broken coercion handlers in
                      > Frontier on
                      >> X, in particular the problem with coercing ObjectSpecifiers to strings.
                      >
                      > Kewlo!
                      >
                      > I'm
                      >> very certain that I've fixed it but I'm not sure what the next stage
                      > is. I'm
                      >> not familiar with CVS on SourceForge or who polices check-ins.
                      >
                      > How extensive are the fixes? Are the changes concentrated in just a
                      > few files? Are there some major changes to the underlying code or is
                      > it more that you had to change some calls to the OS or bit twiddling?
                      >
                      > Several of us are watching and testing new code that is checked into
                      > the experimental version (10.1x).
                      >
                      > If the changes are not major and are in just a few files. I'm sure
                      > one of us regular users of SF could get the files via email or other
                      > method and handle doing the check-in. If there were problems with the
                      > code, it wouldn't be to hard to do a roll back.
                      >
                      > If the changes are more extensive then we could set up a branch.
                      >
                      > Toodle-loooooooo..........
                      > Thomas
                      >
                      > editHere.com < http://www.editHere.com/ > website hosting service.
                      > Websites as easy as see it, edit it, save it! (sm)
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Terry Teague
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Max Lyth <ml-frontierdev@a...> wrote:

                        > I'd be happy for someone to check these changes in for me, are you
                        > volunteering Thomas? I am familiar with CVS and use it for my private
                        > projects, I've just never worked on a Sourceforge project before so my
                        > question was more about etiquette. Is there a single person who approves the
                        > diffs or is it a free for all? Who so I speak to about getting write access
                        > to the Frontier CVS?

                        At the moment it is a free for all - we sort of have to trust each other to do the right thing,
                        but we can always back out changes. You already have CVS commit privileges (André must
                        have set you up some time ago). If you need to familiarize yourself with the use of CVS
                        with SourceForge, please visit :

                        <https://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=120666>

                        > Max...

                        Regards, Terry
                        (co-admin)
                      • icreedon
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005

                          wrote:
                          > The changes to fix the ObjectSpecifier to string coercion that has
                          caused so
                          > many problems was only in two functions in LangSysTypes.c.

                          I like to see these changes checked in on their own.

                          > However my
                          > crusade against leaks has led my further afield into aeutils.c,
                          langipc.c,
                          > shellbuttons.c and more.

                          This might warrant a branch in CVS or perhaps they could be checked in
                          on the main branch in groups a few at a time. For example you might
                          check in some string related fixes, give it some time to burn in and
                          be tested then move on to other functional areas.

                          What do others think?

                          > I'd be happy for someone to check these changes in for me, are you
                          > volunteering Thomas? I am familiar with CVS and use it for my private
                          > projects, I've just never worked on a Sourceforge project before so my
                          > question was more about etiquette.

                          Great you have CVS experience! I'd like to see you do it yourself if
                          possible. See below. I'm a noobie myself and SourceForge has been my
                          first CVS experience. I'm still making a few mistakes here and there! :-)

                          > Is there a single person who approves the
                          > diffs or is it a free for all?

                          I think of it as a controlled free for all! Andre Radke has said in
                          the past that he has been keeping an eye on things. I think several
                          of us are also watching things.

                          > Who so I speak to about getting write access
                          > to the Frontier CVS?

                          Email Terry Teague and Andre Radke.
                        • Terry Teague
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Max Lyth <ml-frontierdev@a...> wrote:
                            > Thanks Jeremy, this will be a pretty good start but the code I am looking
                            > for leaks in is Mac specific and is the area that is very weak on OS X. In
                            > particular I'm looking at coercion handlers between ObjectSpecifiers and
                            > Records/Lists/Binaries/String etc plus AppleEvent transmission and event
                            > handlers.
                            >
                            > I've already found dozens of leaks (Shark really is an awesome tool) and
                            > Frontier on X is already far far less prone to ballooning and slowing to a
                            > crawl. However I want to be certain that I have not broken anything or
                            > missed anything.

                            Cool.

                            > Jeremy hinted at a tool called SuperStressTest that was used at Userland to
                            > test the functionality of the interpreter and I wonder how much AppleEvent
                            > stuff this contained. Does anyone have access to a copy of this? Failing
                            > that does anyone with a basic knowledge of the Shark or MallocDebug tools
                            > want to volunteer to test my build?

                            No-one has been able to get a hold of the last version of SuperStress, that supported Mac
                            OS X (I have a much older version).

                            I don't know Shark well enough, but I do know MallocDebug, and I have a number of
                            memory management/debugging libraries/tools that I use, and am trying to integrate into
                            Frontier (I maintain the Mac OS X port of the 'dmalloc' library). I would be happy to review
                            your changes, and/or test the changes, as best I can, given that I am very busy with lots of
                            things. I need to find time to become more familiar with Shark.

                            > Max...

                            Regards, Terry
                          • Jeremy Bowers
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                              Max Lyth wrote:
                              > Jeremy hinted at a tool called SuperStressTest that was used at Userland to
                              > test the functionality of the interpreter and I wonder how much AppleEvent
                              > stuff this contained. Does anyone have access to a copy of this? Failing
                              > that does anyone with a basic knowledge of the Shark or MallocDebug tools
                              > want to volunteer to test my build?

                              SuperStressTest survives in fUnit; most of the default suite of tests
                              comes from there.

                              I do not recall if there is any AppleEvents stuff in there, but if it
                              was in the copy of SuperStressTest that I got, it's in fUnit, but
                              disabled because I am a Windows developer. I do know there was some
                              Mac-specific stuff.

                              There was a rumor of a more complete-ish version, but nothing ever
                              turned up, so barring further concrete evidence, I'd expect that what I
                              got and translated into fUnit is all we're getting.
                            • Seth Dillingham
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                                On 8/19/05, icreedon said:

                                >> However my crusade against leaks has led my further afield into
                                >> aeutils.c, langipc.c, shellbuttons.c and more.
                                >
                                >This might warrant a branch in CVS or perhaps they could be checked in
                                >on the main branch in groups a few at a time. For example you might
                                >check in some string related fixes, give it some time to burn in and be
                                >tested then move on to other functional areas.
                                >
                                >What do others think?

                                I don't mind them all being checked in, but I'd prefer to see them done
                                for one group of changes at a time. No need to wait after each checkin,
                                but doing them separately will make it track and back out any particular
                                change, if a problem is found.

                                Seth
                              • icreedon
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 19, 2005
                                  --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Seth Dillingham
                                  <seth.dillingham@g...> wrote:

                                  > I don't mind them all being checked in, but I'd prefer to see them done
                                  > for one group of changes at a time. No need to wait after each checkin

                                  I can get behind that.
                                • icreedon
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 21, 2005
                                    --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Jeremy Bowers <jerf@j...> wrote:
                                    > icreedon wrote:
                                    > > How about we set fUnit up to be a Suite that would live in
                                    > > Frontier.root, which I would place on SourceForge? I've got a copy
                                    > > set up here, ready to go.
                                    > >
                                    > > What I'd like to do is set it up as a branch on SourceForge and then
                                    > > merge down the road.
                                    > >
                                    > > What do you think?
                                    >
                                    > That would be ideal.

                                    Folks, fUnit Suite is available on SourceForge if you want to work
                                    with the community on maintaining and improving it. It is on a branch
                                    called "fUnit_Suite-branch". Here is an example CVS command for
                                    getting the fUnit Suite:

                                    cvs -z3
                                    -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/frontierkernel
                                    checkout -d "fUnit Suite" -P -r fUnit_Suite-branch odbs/frontierRoot

                                    It is beyond the scope of this message to explain how to use CVS and
                                    SourceForge.

                                    In addition you will need a copy of cvsSync to move files in and out
                                    of odbs. <
                                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/frontierkernel/files/cvsSync%20v1.0b3.zip >
                                  • Max Lyth
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 22, 2005
                                      I checked in the rewrite of getobjspeckeydesc and the fix to objtostring
                                      that was crashing on coercing AppleEvent type to strings. I am confident of
                                      these two changes especially as they fix a crash so they went into the main
                                      branch.

                                      I should warn that they leak really badly, not in my code but in utility
                                      routines called by much of the AppleEvent architecture. I have already fixed
                                      these leaks but as these changes are more fundamental I'm going to hold back
                                      on checking them in until I've done some more testing.

                                      On the bright side early benchmarks show that, once you fix the leaks that
                                      were crippling performance, the X version of Frontier is faster for
                                      AppleEvent operations than running in Classic which was a pleasant surprise.

                                      Max...
                                      --------

                                    • icreedon
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Aug 22, 2005