Looking for new devs for Linux port

  • adamc1999
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29 2:29 PM
      I blogged this today. Hopefully we'll see new devs here on the list.

      http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html

      AC
    • Jay Ashworth
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29 7:17 PM
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 30 1:32 PM
          According to this message:
          http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520

          We are in need of some sources discussed here:

          Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?

          AC

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "adamc1999" <adam@...> wrote:

          > I blogged this today. Hopefully we'll see new devs here on the list.
          >
          > http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html
          >
          > AC

        • adamc1999
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 30 1:42 PM
            jra,

            This would be quite amazing. Can you pint me to the somewhat completed port?

            AC

            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Jay Ashworth <jra@...> wrote:

> [...]
          • Brent Simmons
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 30 1:46 PM
              I may be able to find the source to Paige on an old backup. I'll look for it.

              -Brent

              On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:32 PM, adamc1999 wrote:

              > According to this message:
              > http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520
              >
              > We are in need of some sources discussed here:
              >
              > Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?
              >
              > AC
              >
              > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "adamc1999" <adam@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> I blogged this today. Hopefully we'll see new devs here on the list.
              >>
              >> http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html
              >>
              >> AC

            • adamc1999
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 30 1:48 PM
                That would be great Brent!

                I know you're a busy guy :-)

                AC

                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:

                > I may be able to find the source to Paige on an old backup. I'll look for it.
                >
                > -Brent

              • Brent Simmons
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 30 7:31 PM
                  I haven't looked at the Paige source or tried to build it. But here it is:

                  http://ranchero.com/downloads/paige.zip

                  -Brent

                  On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:32 PM, adamc1999 wrote:

                  > According to this message:
                  > http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520
                  >
                  > We are in need of some sources discussed here:
                  >
                  > Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?
                  >
                  > AC
                  >
                  > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "adamc1999" <adam@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I blogged this today. Hopefully we'll see new devs here on the list.
                  >>
                  >> http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html
                  >>
                  >> AC

                • Steve Kirks
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 30 7:41 PM
                    As strictly an exercise, could the source for the PAIGE library and the way it's used in Frontier be studied as to devise a replacement?  I seem to remember that the PAIGE source code was one of the reasons that the Mac version of the Frontier kernel had problems getting Universal. I know it is now, but I guess I'm trying to put back together so old thoughts in the corners of my brain. Something tells me the PAIGE library source is a big deal.

                    I think it's time for me to dust off an old Mac and start working on this again.

                    Steve Kirks

                    On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:

                    I haven't looked at the Paige source or tried to build it. But here it is:

                    http://ranchero.com/downloads/paige.zip

                    -Brent

                    On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:32 PM, adamc1999 wrote:

                    > According to this message:
                    > http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520
                    >
                    > We are in need of some sources discussed here:
                    >
                    > Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?
                    >
                    > AC
                    >
                    > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "adamc1999" <adam@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I blogged this today. Hopefully we'll see new devs here on the list.
                    >>
                    >> http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html
                    >>
                    >> AC

                  • adamc1999
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 30 7:44 PM
                      :-) Cobwebs: http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/30/frontierCobwebs.html

                      AC

                      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@...> wrote:

                      > As strictly an exercise, could the source for the PAIGE library and the way it's used in Frontier be studied as to devise a replacement? I seem to remember that the PAIGE source code was one of the reasons that the Mac version of the Frontier kernel had problems getting Universal. I know it is now, but I guess I'm trying to put back together so old thoughts in the corners of my brain. Something tells me the PAIGE library source is a big deal.
                      >
                      > I think it's time for me to dust off an old Mac and start working on this again.
                      >
                      > Steve Kirks
                      >

                      > On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > I haven't looked at the Paige source or tried to build it. But here it is:
                      > >
                      > > http://ranchero.com/downloads/paige.zip
                      > >
                      > > -Brent
                      > >
                      > > On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:32 PM, adamc1999 wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > According to this message:
                      > > > http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520
                      > > >
                      > > > We are in need of some sources discussed here:
                      > > >
                      > > > Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?
                      > > >
                      > > > AC

                    • Brent Simmons
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 30 8:00 PM
                        Paige will have to be replaced for Macs, at a minimum -- it uses very old, long-deprecated APIs that will go away, possibly as soon as OS X 10.8. (It's already at the point where I have to run Xcode on 10.6, instead of 10.7, to build Frontier.)

                        My suggestion to Linux developers would be *not* to port the Paige code, since the Linux text APIs are likely very different from the APIs Paige uses.

                        -Brent

                        On Oct 30, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Steve Kirks wrote:

                        > As strictly an exercise, could the source for the PAIGE library and the way it's used in Frontier be studied as to devise a replacement? I seem to remember that the PAIGE source code was one of the reasons that the Mac version of the Frontier kernel had problems getting Universal. I know it is now, but I guess I'm trying to put back together so old thoughts in the corners of my brain. Something tells me the PAIGE library source is a big deal.
                        >
                        > I think it's time for me to dust off an old Mac and start working on this again.
                        >
                        > Steve Kirks
                        >

                        > On Oct 30, 2011, at 9:31 PM, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I haven't looked at the Paige source or tried to build it. But here it is:
                        >>
                        >> http://ranchero.com/downloads/paige.zip
                        >>
                        >> -Brent
                        >>
                        >> On Oct 30, 2011, at 1:32 PM, adamc1999 wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> According to this message:
                        >>> http://blog.curry.com/stories/2011/10/29/batsignalToAllNoAgendaOpen.html#comment-350568520
                        >>>
                        >>> We are in need of some sources discussed here:
                        >>>
                        >>> Are any of the folks lurking for a long time on this list able to help?
                        >>>
                        >>> AC

                      • Steve Kirks
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 30 10:27 PM
                          On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:

                          Paige will have to be replaced for Macs, at a minimum -- it uses very old, long-deprecated APIs that will go away, possibly as soon as OS X 10.8. (It's already at the point where I have to run Xcode on 10.6, instead of 10.7, to build Frontier.)

                          Understood...

                          My suggestion to Linux developers would be *not* to port the Paige code, since the Linux text APIs are likely very different from the APIs Paige uses.

                          I would agree.  What I thought I would do is draw out the typical processes in the core code that use Paige to help identify some places for someone to get started.  Not like there aren't plenty of places to start when it comes to a Linux port. The architecture debate alone is worthy of lengthy discussion

                          I wrote a blog post since I couldn't sleep:

                          To anyone reading this that knew me from the early days of BloggerCon and such--that was then, this is now.  I want to help out on this because it will be fun for me.  I don't pretend to even be *remotely* equipped to be a serious programmer.  What I would like to do is help by being a lens to focus debate and efforts, with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

                          I don't have an axe to grind, an agenda, or even a ego to bruise.  I didn't realize it until Adam's post and call for help, that working with the Frontier community was something I'd missed for so long.  Like the "seven dwarfs" I'd like to pick up an axe and whistle while I work, enjoy the journey as I go.

                          Anyone else feel the same way?

                          --
                          Steve Kirks
                          http://stevekirks.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 31 12:25 AM
                            Steve, I'm so happy to see this post.

                            I of course am of completely no help on the dev side, but I cann be the best damn tester and breaker you've ever seen :-)

                            I'm hoping to get some more devs from my circle in here, and will do my best.

                            I've been enjoying the benefits of all the great tools Dave has been working on for the past year or so and am extremely happy to see more people like you and Brent showing up a true users and developers party once again.

                            At your service, just holler.

                            AC

                            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Steve Kirks <steve.kirks@...> wrote:

                            > On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:00 PM, Brent Simmons <brent@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **
                            > >
                            > > Paige will have to be replaced for Macs, at a minimum -- it uses very old,
                            > > long-deprecated APIs that will go away, possibly as soon as OS X 10.8.
                            > > (It's already at the point where I have to run Xcode on 10.6, instead of
                            > > 10.7, to build Frontier.)
                            > >

                            > Understood...
                            >
                            > > My suggestion to Linux developers would be *not* to port the Paige code,
                            > > since the Linux text APIs are likely very different from the APIs Paige
                            > > uses.
                            > >
                            > I would agree. What I thought I would do is draw out the typical processes
                            > in the core code that use Paige to help identify some places for someone to
                            > get started. Not like there aren't plenty of places to start when it comes
                            > to a Linux port. The architecture debate alone is worthy of lengthy
                            > discussion
                            >
                            > I wrote a blog post since I couldn't sleep:
                            >
                            > http://stevekirks.com/2011/10/30/frontier-lives-again/
                            >
                            > To anyone reading this that knew me from the early days of BloggerCon and
                            > such--that was then, this is now. I want to help out on this because it
                            > will be fun for me. I don't pretend to even be *remotely* equipped to be a
                            > serious programmer. What I would like to do is help by being a lens to
                            > focus debate and efforts, with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
                            >
                            > I don't have an axe to grind, an agenda, or even a ego to bruise. I didn't
                            > realize it until Adam's post and call for help, that working with the
                            > Frontier community was something I'd missed for so long. Like the "seven
                            > dwarfs" I'd like to pick up an axe and whistle while I work, enjoy the
                            > journey as I go.
                            >
                            > Anyone else feel the same way?
                            >
                            > --
                            > Steve Kirks
                            > http://stevekirks.com

                          • Jörg Kantel
                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 31 12:40 AM
                              Hi,

                              I'm not a developer, only a poor scripter and user. I've made my weblog (Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>) from 2000 until 2003 with UserLand Products (first Manila, then Radio UserLand) and from 2005 until 2009 with some homebrewed UserTalk-scripts in (Open Source) Frontier.

                              And my English isn't as well as it should be, but I want to join the party as a tester, too.

                              best regards
                              J"org Kantel

                              2011/10/31 adamc1999 <adam@...>

                              I of course am of completely no help on the dev side, but I cann be the best damn tester and breaker you've ever seen :-)

                              I'm hoping to get some more devs from my circle in here, and will do my best.

                              --
                              J"org Kantel <joerg@...>
                              Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 31 12:49 AM
                                Hiya Jörg,

                                Good to see you here as well. Nice to see familiar names again in my inbox :-)

                                AC

                                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Jörg Kantel <joerg@...> wrote:

                                > Hi,
                                >
                                > I'm not a developer, only a poor scripter and user. I've made my weblog
                                > (Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>) from 2000
                                > until 2003 with UserLand Products (first Manila, then Radio UserLand) and
                                > from 2005 until 2009 with some homebrewed UserTalk-scripts in (Open Source)
                                > Frontier.
                                >
                                > And my English isn't as well as it should be, but I want to join the party
                                > as a tester, too.
                                >
                                > best regards
                                > J"org Kantel
                                >
                                > 2011/10/31 adamc1999 <adam@...>
                                >
                                > > **
                                > >
                                > > I of course am of completely no help on the dev side, but I cann be the
                                > > best damn tester and breaker you've ever seen :-)
                                > >
                                > > I'm hoping to get some more devs from my circle in here, and will do my
                                > > best.
                                > >
                                > > --
                                > J"org Kantel <joerg@...>
                                > Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>
                                > Cognitiones Publicae <http://www.cognitiones.de/>
                                > Buergerstr. 66, 12347 Berlin (Neukoelln)
                                > -- Verschtehen Sie, isch 'abe garrr kein Wooerd! --

                              • Pete Beaumont
                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 31 1:15 AM
                                  I'm willing to test as well.......

                                  Pete... aka furbies

                                  On 31/10/2011, at 6:49 PM, adamc1999 wrote:

                                  > Hiya Jörg,
                                  >
                                  > Good to see you here as well. Nice to see familiar names again in my inbox :-)
                                  >
                                  > AC
                                  >
                                  > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Jörg Kantel <joerg@...> wrote:
                                  >>
                                  >> Hi,
                                  >>
                                  >> I'm not a developer, only a poor scripter and user. I've made my weblog
                                  >> (Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>) from 2000
                                  >> until 2003 with UserLand Products (first Manila, then Radio UserLand) and
                                  >> from 2005 until 2009 with some homebrewed UserTalk-scripts in (Open Source)
                                  >> Frontier.
                                  >>
                                  >> And my English isn't as well as it should be, but I want to join the party
                                  >> as a tester, too.
                                  >>
                                  >> best regards
                                  >> J"org Kantel
                                  >>
                                  >> 2011/10/31 adamc1999 <adam@...>
                                  >>
                                  >>> **
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I of course am of completely no help on the dev side, but I cann be the
                                  >>> best damn tester and breaker you've ever seen :-)
                                  >>>
                                  >>> I'm hoping to get some more devs from my circle in here, and will do my
                                  >>> best.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> --
                                  >> J"org Kantel <joerg@...>
                                  >> Der Schockwellenreiter <http://www.schockwellenreiter.de/>
                                  >> Cognitiones Publicae <http://www.cognitiones.de/>
                                  >> Buergerstr. 66, 12347 Berlin (Neukoelln)
                                  >> -- Verschtehen Sie, isch 'abe garrr kein Wooerd! --

                                • Ted Howard
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 31 5:33 AM
                                    Count me in.  I've been noodling with the code trying to make some Mac improvements.  I have some thoughts about how to approach this.  My time is limited, but I'll help as I can.

                                    Ted

                                    Sent from my iPhone