auto saving of guest databases

  • russellgum
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2011
      As far as I can tell (the name of the database remains underlined in the Window menu) the preference to save all open databases every minute does not save them.

      This seems to be true in OPML as well.

      Am I missing something? I have written a script to save my databases, so it's not a big problem, but it is confusing to have a preference that does not work.

      Is there any chance that a Lion friendly version of Frontier or OPML editor will be released that auto saves? I suppose it would be a trick to keep it from auto saving any river of news posts and filling up your hard disk.

      Russ
    • Ted Howard
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 20, 2011
        My experience has been that the databases do auto save almost instantly. I'm using the latest OPML Editor.

        I wouldn't hold my breath on a "Lion friendly" build that does that style of auto saving. That would require a significant re-arcitecting of the document model in the frontier kernel. (That might be a nice endeavor to pursue.)

        Ted

        On Sep 20, 2011, at 11:10 AM, russellgum wrote:

        > As far as I can tell (the name of the database remains underlined in the Window menu) the preference to save all open databases every minute does not save them.
        >
        > This seems to be true in OPML as well.
        >
        > Am I missing something? I have written a script to save my databases, so it's not a big problem, but it is confusing to have a preference that does not work.
        >
        > Is there any chance that a Lion friendly version of Frontier or OPML editor will be released that auto saves? I suppose it would be a trick to keep it from auto saving any river of news posts and filling up your hard disk.
        >
        > Russ

      • dwiner
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 20, 2011
          Hi Russ!

          Just got this email.

          The OPML Editor, as you say, does have a pref for autosaving all open databases. The pref is:

          user.opmlEditor.prefs.flSaveDatabases

          You can set how often it happens in:

          user.opmlEditor.prefs.ctMinutesBetwSaves

          I verified that it is working properly on my desktop machine. It even produces stats you can follow, to be sure that it's working.

          user.opmlEditor.stats.whenLastDatabaseSave

          user.opmlEditor.stats.ctDatabaseSaves

          Dave