Save Outline = Quit Application

  • af2412ripe
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 18, 2010
      Any clue how to save my outline without Frontier (Windows) automatically quitting?

      Note: I am a non-programmer, who desperately needs the outline capability of MORE/ThinkTank.
    • dwiner
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 19, 2010
        I don't know which version of Frontier you're using, so I don't even know if I can help. I use the OPML Editor, which is a Frontier distribution configured to be an outliner first and foremost. So I would recommend using that app, if you're not already doing so.

        http://editor.opml.org/

        If you are, and you're having the problem, provide as many details as you can as to what you do, step by step, to cause the crash. That will help us figure out how you might approach this.

        Dave

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 20, 2010
          Hi Dave,

          WOW! I am totally honored to hear from you. I was a TT128 user in 1986. For many years, I have struggled running More on the somewhat buggy Basilisk II Mac emulator in Windows.

          Frontier Version: 10.1a11 application only, from sourceforge.
          [Frontier_v10.1a11_Windows.zip]

          OPML 10.1.0.8 Windows, root updated:
          File:Save and Ctrl+S do nothing. That is one way to solve the problem... simply disable the save function until I close the window and press "yes" in the dialog box. Then, the application remains running.

          The "Save As" function seems to work fine, but automatically opens a "Save Export" box.

          Thanks, Tom

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoo

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 20, 2010
            Sorry...
            I did not realize that I needed to change from .ftop to .opml file format. All is well.

            Thank you very much for an excellent solution!
          • af2412ripe
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 20, 2010
              But unlike .ftop, saving in .opml does not save the global font and size, set from the edit menu.
            • dwiner
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 21, 2010
                Okay -- I guess you figured out that the File menu is where you want to create, open and save outlines. Yes? :-)

                And you're right, it doesn't save the font and size of the outline when it saves as OPML. I can add that as a feature request (seems reasonable that it would save it). But you should definitely be opening and saving outlines through the File menu. That's what it's there for!

                Also you can make these outlines huge. The outliner was designed to run on 1980s-era Macs and PCs. Today's computers have so much memory and run so much faster, these outlines can get huge.

                Anyway, hope this helps, and I'm glad you're using the software! :-)

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 21, 2010
                  Yes of course, File:Save or Ctrl+S (the Frontier Win 10.1a11 non-functionality of which was the origin of this thread). .ftop files File:Open without restriction in OPML, by which I assumed I could also save them.

                  The global font issue is not fatal, as is working solely in RAM until exit. It is easy enough to reselect the font and size, after I boot the computer and OPML. I am plenty happy enough with the capability of cutting and pasting text between Windows applications without a Mac emulator crashing.

                  I am running Win Server 2003, adjusted for "Pro" or workstation operation (first ever Windows system as reliable as Mac OS 6.8). Prior to system shut down, I right-click exit OPML from the taskbar. Taskmanager shows the application and process has quit. Upon startup, a dialog box appears, stating that OPML encountered problems and unexpectedly quit. After I cancel, it re-appears, totalling the same number of times I started/quit OPML since previous system boot. Again, not fatal, but I thought you might like to know.

                  I don't want to be bothersome. To what degree would you like me to report functional problems in OPML?

                  Many Thanks, again.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 2010
                    Imho you might as well report the problems.

                    I have no ability to fix kernel-level issues, haven't worked at that level since the THINK C days (early 90s), but maybe there is someone on the list who can pitch in.

                    I use the outliner on the Mac, with none of these issues, btw.