Instant Outlining server and client howtos, builtins.realtime

  • dwiner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2010
      Instant Outlining is now a part of the core release of the OPML Editor. This means that every copy of the OPML Editor can be an Instant Outline client or server, or both.

      There is now a doc that explains how to set up an I/O server.

      http://frontiernews.org/2010/09/23/how-to-set-up-an-io-server/

      Also a doc for end-users that explains how to set up a copy of the OPML Editor to connect to an I/O server.

      http://frontiernews.org/2010/09/23/how-to-use-the-instant-outliner/

      Setting up a server requires a basic understanding of the object database, how to edit cells, run Quick Scripts. Certainly not a programming background, but the config process is not (at this time at least) browser-based.

      There's also a new manager, builtins.realtime, that handles updates through long polling over XML-RPC. The updates are instantaneous, unlike previous implementations of Instant Outlining. And the realtime manager is general, it can pass any kind of event that can be represented in nested structures of object database tables.

      Dave