File Behavior of OPML Files in Snow Leopard

  • optionshiftk@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2010
      I've been using the OPML Editor lately for all sorts of interesting things and I am starting to discover the beauty of OPML and the "River of News" concept. However, I have had a persistent issue for quite some time regarding the way Mac OSX Snow Leopard treats OPML files. For some strange reason, it appends a ".xml" file extension to OPML files I download and attempt to open. So, for instance, in the past I've downloaded one of the reading lists Dave has posted on Scripting News, and when I go to browse for it in my downloads folder it has a double file extension. That is, it will be something like "Readinglist.opml.xml" Even worse, since I have the Mac Developer tools installed on my system, the default behavior is for Xcode to open this OPML file, which it treats as an XML file.So, my question is how can I stop my Macintosh from appedning the ".xml" file extension to OPML files. Would this require me to uninstall Xcode, or is there some simple setting I can manipulate? Help on this would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Steven P. Rodriguez (optionshiftk)