Future of Frontier

  • russellgum
    Message 1 of 43 , Dec 12, 2009

      > At 8:19 AM -0800 12/12/2009, Matt Neuburg wrote:
      > >Do correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems to me that this project
      > >was supposed to exist exactly so that it wouldn't *matter* if UserLand
      > >vanished off the face of the earth. m.

      I guess its time to fish or cut bait. What do we need to do to get the Frontier / OPML community moving forward again. It should not just be up to Dave who (IMHO) has made more progress with OPML than we have with Frontier. I have received wonderful support for my scripting questions from the Frontier community. With help from the community I have built a system that generates svg, uses ajax and is a web apppication that delivers unmatched services to large commercial farms. What next? I could port this to rails or python or some iphone compatiable system but I really like usertalk as a programming language. Is there something we could do to keep Frontier viable?

      Here are some ideas of what I think needs to be done.

      1. Get doc server or something similar up and running on a public server. As far as I know no other scripting system has such user friendly docs. man pages don't cut it for me.

      2. Get an app store up and running for usertalk scripts. Mostly free, of course.

      3. Get Frontier working properly with applescript again. (I don't use applescript much so I am just responding to what others have said with this item)

      4. Wouldn't it be great to be able to code javascript within the Frontier framework? (This reflects the fact that I have had a hard time figuring out a system to use to debug my javascripts)

      5. As long as I am wishing, how about support for HTML 5.

      6. Investigate merging the work Dave has done with OPML into Frontier or visa versa.

      I am sure that a much better list could be developed by the community, if anyone cares. Even if we have a wonderful list we need more energy and commitment to move Frontier forward. I haven't done much to contribute to the community and am more than willing to increase my level of support in the areas I have expertise in, but I need to be part of a larger better organized effort.

      Maybe I am just treading water before I have to make the choice of what type of system I need to move to for my projects, but I still have hopes for Frontier.
    • Steve Hooker
      Message 43 of 43 , Dec 19, 2009
        Yay!