The future life of Frontier vs. migrating to other platforms

  • mickey_sattlers_org
    Message 1 of 34 , Jun 1, 2009
      The recent poll gives an option of migration, which I see a few folks are doing.

      To what platform? In my investigations I've not found anything which provides what I use in Frontier.

      Given that Userland seems to be completely dead as a development org, and the apps don't seem to get any modern OS love (at least on the Mac OS X side), what are folks planning to sandbox Frontier when some future update kills Frontier?

      I have been wondering about running a virtual machine of Leopard only for Frontier. I would, of course, prefer that Userland update the code to take advantage of modern text window types, providing as-you-type spell checking, etc., but comments from the Userland management (to me) is terse at best, and bunker mentality at worst.

      I begged Dave to open-source the code back in the day, when I thought it would give it a new lease on life, but I fear we're way past the critical point. It makes me very sad, as Frontier and Radio have been amongst the most useful tools for me since the 'web was created.

      Yours in mostly lurking,

      Mickey
    • Seth Dillingham
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 7, 2009
        On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM, steve
        harley<yahoo.20020228.groups@...> wrote:

        > they whom i call Matt Neuburg wrote:
        >>Then I discovered that Ruby likes to save structured
        >> data as YAML.
        >
        > excellent -- looks like nested YAML outlines in key/value form
        > are reasonable enough for my non-geek client to edit in BBEdit
        > (which folds YAML nicely), with file system for higher level
        > organization; it will cause some moaning, because tracking indent
        > levels is not quite so intuitive, but it will work

        Let me know if you run into any problems with BBEdit's YAML module. I
        wrote it, I can fix it. (I know there are a couple bugs.)

        Seth