Frontier as service on Vista?

  • u074036
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2009
      Is anyone out there successfully running Frontier as a background service on Vista? If so, are you using AutoFrontier, or something else? Tips/tricks? I'm probably going to be forced to Vista soon and just was wondering what thrills and spills lie ahead. Thanks!

      D a v e H
    • David Gewirtz
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 6, 2009
        Dave, I've only done very limited testing on Vista and run nothing in a production environment. But I also don't run Frontier as a service. I find it works just fine as a user program and that gives me access to the UI for console-level management.

        Thought about it and my co-lo provider wanted me to, but we just keep the user instance logged in and RDP into it, and everything seems OK (except, of course, for the performance issue I'm trying to chase down, but that's recent and I've been doing this in this ways for years).

        -- David

        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@...> wrote:

        > Is anyone out there successfully running Frontier as a background service on Vista? If so, are you using AutoFrontier, or something else? Tips/tricks? I'm probably going to be forced to Vista soon and just was wondering what thrills and spills lie ahead. Thanks!
        >
        > D a v e H

      • u074036
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28 11:35 AM
          Anything further out there regarding Frontier as a background service in recent Windows OSes? I just tried my trusty old AutoFrontier, but it is non-functional in Vista. I like for Frontier to start up automatically on reboot without having to log in.

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

          > Dave, I've only done very limited testing on Vista and run nothing in a production environment. But I also don't run Frontier as a service.

          > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Is anyone out there successfully running Frontier as a background service on Vista? If so, are you using AutoFrontier, or something else? Tips/tricks? I'm probably going to be forced to Vista soon and just was wondering what thrills and spills lie ahead. Thanks!
          > >
          > > D a v e H

        • u074036
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 29 8:47 AM
            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@...> wrote:

            > Anything further out there regarding Frontier as a background service
            >in recent Windows OSes? I just tried my trusty old AutoFrontier, but
            >it is non-functional in Vista. I like for Frontier to start up
            >automatically on reboot without having to log in.

            In case anyone is ever interested I've found that, using Cygwin and Cygrunsrv, it is possible to run Frontier as a service on VISTA. The only downside is that when VISTA closes the service down, Frontier is not "gracefully" exiting, so no roots are saved - you'll be relying on the auto-saving of the roots every minute unless you work to create some other shutdown trigger.
          • Steve Hooker
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 29 9:19 AM
              Hi,
              What advantage is there running Frontier as a service?
              Steve

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 29 1:21 PM
                1) Allows me to remotely reboot the server using cygwin ssh, since upon reboot, services start up prior to any user logon
                2) Allows me to ask other non-computer-savvy people to reboot my physical server for me (since it is located in my physical office, which I only visit about weekly), without giving away my login credentials.
                3) Allows me to let the server sit there with no user logon (and therefore no user processes) active

                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hooker <steve@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > What advantage is there running Frontier as a service?
                > Steve
              • Jake Savin
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29 3:11 PM
                  Also, if Frontier crashes, the system will see this and attempt to restart it, according to whatever rules you configure for the service.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 29 5:00 PM
                    It would be excellent to have Frontier separate the UI from a server
                    process. I don't imagine that would be trivial to accomplish.

                    > 3) Allows me to let the server sit there with no user logon (and
                    > therefore no user processes) active

                    True, it's preferrable to not have a user logged in if not necessary.
                    However, with Frontier there's one work-around I've used with some success.
                    Put a shortcut link to a screensaver in the startup items folder for an
                    account set to automatically log-in. Set the screensaver such that it
                    requires a password to wake up. This way the machine boots, automatically
                    logs in and drops right into the screensaver. Yes, there's a slight window
                    of opportunity where the a local user could interrupt the process. But for
                    most lights-out situations this is a reasonable solution. Once the
                    screensaver kicks in they need the account's password to wake it up.

                    I've not done much to experiment with it but it might also be useful to put
                    Frontier in a virtual machine. That offers at least one added layer of
                    security.

                    -Bill Kearney