Sometimes a slowdown isn't Frontier

  • David Gewirtz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2009
      Sometimes a slowdown is an old-fashioned DoS. I went nuts tonight
      trying to find out if one of the databases had corrupted or any of the
      usual reasons why the server pegged at a very high CPU percentage.

      It wasn't any of those things. Turns out it was actually traffic. I
      traced it to a single IP that was hitting on one of our magazine sites
      and my personal site, with multiple queries a second. The attacks are
      on the only two sites referenced from the CNN articles I wrote.

      What made this worse was one of the URLs being hit was a forms
      processing URL, which was failing, and taking a lot of time to process
      through.

      We traced the attacks to the Philippines. Of course, some savvy person
      could have routed to the Philippines, but ya never know. In the
      meantime, we've basically been down for the last few hours and I've
      been building custom code and working with my excellent ISP
      Prominic.NET to block it.

      So, sometimes, if your site unusually sluggish, it might not be
      Frontier. It could just be someone who's beating on your site.

      -- David
    • Scott S. Lawton
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2009
        > Sometimes a slowdown is an old-fashioned DoS.

        Bummer!

        Another scenario: emailing notifications of error pages without
        making sure that you haven't emailed something similar in the past
        few minutes or hours. That yields a twofer: a Web denial of service
        can flood your email too.

        Scott