Crash upon find

  • u074036
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2008
      I've been having trouble with my Frontier (v10.1a15) crashing
      occasionally when I try to use the Find feature (accessed by ctrl-F).
      After a particularly frustrating period, I search for reasons. I
      found that if I create a WP Text named testit containing "u000duh" and
      a string named testit2 containing "u000duh" within one of my guest
      databases and then search the GDB for that string, I get the crash.
      If I then delete the WP Text named testit (but leave the string), then
      it works fine.

      Anyone else observe anything like this? Any thoughts as to where the
      issue might lie? I took a look at sourceForge to see if any bugs on
      this had been reported, but nothing jumped out at me as being related.

      Dave H
    • David Gewirtz
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 20, 2008
        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@...> wrote:

        > I've been having trouble with my Frontier (v10.1a15) crashing
        > occasionally when I try to use the Find feature (accessed by ctrl-F).
        > After a particularly frustrating period, I search for reasons. I
        > found that if I create a WP Text named testit containing "u000duh" and
        > a string named testit2 containing "u000duh" within one of my guest
        > databases and then search the GDB for that string, I get the crash.
        > If I then delete the WP Text named testit (but leave the string), then
        > it works fine.
        >
        > Anyone else observe anything like this? Any thoughts as to where the
        > issue might lie? I took a look at sourceForge to see if any bugs on
        > this had been reported, but nothing jumped out at me as being related.
        >
        > Dave H

        I've long had crashes in find and wound up replacing the Frontier Find
        with one of my own. I think we're seeing vestiges of the editing
        library (can't recall its name off the top of my head). That library
        is sorely in need of replacing.
      • Pete Beaumont
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21, 2008
          On 21/08/2008, at 1:23 PM, David Gewirtz wrote:

          > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> I've been having trouble with my Frontier (v10.1a15) crashing
          >> occasionally when I try to use the Find feature (accessed by ctrl-F).
          >> After a particularly frustrating period, I search for reasons. I
          >> found that if I create a WP Text named testit containing "u000duh"
          >> and
          >> a string named testit2 containing "u000duh" within one of my guest
          >> databases and then search the GDB for that string, I get the crash.
          >> If I then delete the WP Text named testit (but leave the string),
          >> then
          >> it works fine.
          >>
          >> Anyone else observe anything like this? Any thoughts as to where the
          >> issue might lie? I took a look at sourceForge to see if any bugs on
          >> this had been reported, but nothing jumped out at me as being
          >> related.
          >>
          >> Dave H
          >>

          > I've long had crashes in find and wound up replacing the Frontier Find
          > with one of my own. I think we're seeing vestiges of the editing
          > library (can't recall its name off the top of my head). That library
          > is sorely in need of replacing.

          David

          did you perchance document what you did to replace the standard find ?

          Pete...

        • David Gewirtz
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 21, 2008
            I wrote a Web page interface. My Web framework is quite custom, but
            basically I just did a loop through a given GDB (I specifically select
            the GDB I want to search). For each item in the GDB, I brute force
            convert to a string and then do a string.patternMatch to see if my
            search string is in there.

            Although the Web UI isn't something I can post, if you want me to, I
            can dig up the actual search script and post that for you. You'll need
            to mod it for your needs -- and know that it's totally brute force --
            it looks item by item for what you're searching on.

            -- David

            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Pete Beaumont <furbies@...> wrote:

            > On 21/08/2008, at 1:23 PM, David Gewirtz wrote:
            >
            > > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "u074036" <u074036@> wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I've been having trouble with my Frontier (v10.1a15) crashing
            > >> occasionally when I try to use the Find feature (accessed by ctrl-F).
            > >> After a particularly frustrating period, I search for reasons. I
            > >> found that if I create a WP Text named testit containing "u000duh"
            > >> and
            > >> a string named testit2 containing "u000duh" within one of my guest
            > >> databases and then search the GDB for that string, I get the crash.
            > >> If I then delete the WP Text named testit (but leave the string),
            > >> then
            > >> it works fine.
            > >>
            > >> Anyone else observe anything like this? Any thoughts as to where the
            > >> issue might lie? I took a look at sourceForge to see if any bugs on
            > >> this had been reported, but nothing jumped out at me as being
            > >> related.
            > >>
            > >> Dave H
            > >>

            > > I've long had crashes in find and wound up replacing the Frontier Find
            > > with one of my own. I think we're seeing vestiges of the editing
            > > library (can't recall its name off the top of my head). That library
            > > is sorely in need of replacing.
            > >

            > David
            >
            > did you perchance document what you did to replace the standard find ?
            >
            > Pete...

          • Pete Beaumont
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 21, 2008
              On 22/08/2008, at 6:04 AM, David Gewirtz wrote:

              > I wrote a Web page interface. My Web framework is quite custom, but
              > basically I just did a loop through a given GDB (I specifically select
              > the GDB I want to search). For each item in the GDB, I brute force
              > convert to a string and then do a string.patternMatch to see if my
              > search string is in there.
              >
              > Although the Web UI isn't something I can post, if you want me to, I
              > can dig up the actual search script and post that for you. You'll need
              > to mod it for your needs -- and know that it's totally brute force --
              > it looks item by item for what you're searching on.
              >
              > -- David

              David the script would be a useful starting point...

              tia

              Pete...

              > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Pete Beaumont <furbies@...>
              > wrote:

              >>> I've long had crashes in find and wound up replacing the Frontier
              >>> Find
              >>> with one of my own. I think we're seeing vestiges of the editing
              >>> library (can't recall its name off the top of my head). That library
              >>> is sorely in need of replacing.
              >>>

              >> David
              >>
              >> did you perchance document what you did to replace the standard
              >> find ?
              >>
              >> Pete...

            • David Gewirtz
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 22, 2008

                > David the script would be a useful starting point...
                >
                > tia
                >
                > Pete...

                OK, some notes: 1) this is crude, 2) this is crude, 3) this is still
                crude, and 4) this is brute force, and therefore crude. Beyond that,
                it uses a few functions I wrote, but you can obviously see what they
                do, and this is a stubb from my Web interface. Beyond that, enjoy:

                on html (struct) {
                local (q, s="", count, resultsString="", chunkLength=100, lowerQ,
                typeString, root, rootAdr);
                on searcher(param) {
                local (addr, type, value, offset, contextString, begin, end, s1, s2);
                addr = string.popFileFromAddress(param);
                type = typeOf(param^);
                msg("Scanning: " + param + "...");
                bundle { // check to see if there's an object name match
                offset = string.patternMatch(lowerQ, string.lower(nameOf(param^)));
                if offset > 0 {
                bundle { // initialize found variables
                count = count + 1;
                s1 = ""};
                bundle { // process the headline string
                resultsString = resultsString + "<A HREF=\"code_search?";
                «resultsString = resultsString + "q=" +
                string.urlEncode(struct^.["#form"].search.data) + "&"
                resultsString = resultsString + "e=" + string.urlEncode(addr);
                resultsString = resultsString + "\"><B><FONT
                style=\"font-size:14px\">" + addr + "</FONT></B></A>";
                bundle { // add the type and the link
                typeString = journal.utils.getFrontierTypeName(type);
                resultsString = resultsString + " - <font style=\"color:green\">";
                resultsString = resultsString + typeString + "</font><font
                style=\"color:blue\"> - object name match</font><BR><BR>"}}}};
                if ((type == menubarType) or (type == outlineType) or (type ==
                scriptType) or (type == stringType) or (type == wptextType)) {
                value = string(param^);
                offset = string.patternMatch(lowerQ, string.lower(value));
                if offset > 0 {
                bundle { // initialize found variables
                count = count + 1;
                s1 = ""};
                bundle { // process the headline string
                resultsString = resultsString + "<A HREF=\"code_search?";
                «resultsString = resultsString + "q=" +
                string.urlEncode(struct^.["#form"].search.data) + "&"
                resultsString = resultsString + "e=" + string.urlEncode(addr);
                resultsString = resultsString + "\"><B><FONT
                style=\"font-size:14px\">" + addr + "</FONT></B></A>";
                bundle { // add the type and the link
                typeString = journal.utils.getFrontierTypeName(type);
                resultsString = resultsString + " - <font style=\"color:green\">";
                resultsString = resultsString + typeString + "</font>"}};
                bundle { // process the found text
                begin = number(offset - chunkLength);
                end = offset + string.length(q) + chunkLength;
                if begin > 1 {
                s1 = string.mid(value, offset - chunkLength, chunkLength)};
                s2 = string.mid(value, offset + string.length(q), chunkLength);
                resultsString = resultsString + "<PRE>" +
                journal.import.lineToHTML(s1, false) + "<font
                style=\"background-color: yellow; color:green\">" + q + "</font>" +
                journal.import.lineToHTML(s2, false) + "</PRE><BR><BR>"}}};
                return true};
                bundle { // initialize values
                q = string(struct^.["#formStatus"].argTable.q);
                lowerQ = string.lower(q);
                count = double(0)};
                bundle { // display results HTML
                s = s + "<FONT style=\"font-size: 12px; font-family: verdana, arial,
                geneva, san-serif\">" + cr;
                s = s + "Searching for string \"" + q + "\"...<BR><BR>";
                for i = 1 to string.countFields(struct^.["#formStatus"].argTable.d,
                cr) {
                root = string.nthField(struct^.["#formStatus"].argTable.d, cr, i);
                rootAdr = journal.utils.getFullRootFileAddress(root);
                bundle { // search for the string
                table.visit (rootAdr, @searcher);
                s = s + resultsString}};
                «s = s + cr + cr + count + " elements found"
                s = s + "</FONT>" + cr};
                return s}

                P.S. Did I mention it's crude?