Re: Question on using tcp.httpClient

  • David Gewirtz
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
      I don't think Frontier supports https, but Seth, you're the expert on
      this right? Didn't you build some sort of add-on? Can you answer Andy?

      -- David

      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Andy Sylvester <andy@...> wrote:

      > I am playing around with the Delicious API in Frontier. Last year,
      > they changed the API to use https instead of http. I am trying to use
      > tcp.httpClient to access the API, but I am having some difficulty.
      > Here is an example line from my script:
      >
      > s = tcp.httpClient (method:"GET", server:"api.del.icio.us", port:443,
      > path:"/v1/posts/recent?count=2", username:"myusername",
      > password:"mypassword", debug:true)
      >
      > When I run this, I get the error message "Can't read stream because
      > the TCP connection was closed unexpectedly." The error dialog box
      > goes to system.verbs.builtins.tcp.httpClient.
      >
      > If I change the server entry to "https://api.del.icio.us", I get the
      > error message "Can't open stream because TCP/IP error code -3260 -
      > Connection refused." The error dialog box goes to
      > system.verbs.builtins.tcp.openStream.
      >
      > Are there other parameters for this verb that can help me do a https
      request?

      > Andy Sylvester
      >
      > http://www.andysylvester.com

    • Seth
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
        On 11/30/2007, Andy Sylvester said:

        >I am playing around with the Delicious API in Frontier. Last
        >year, they changed the API to use https instead of http. I am
        >trying to use tcp.httpClient to access the API, but I am having
        >some difficulty.

        The problem you're having is caused by Frontier's complete lack
        of support
        for the encryption necessary to do TLS (HTTPS).

        You have two options:

        1. The TLS DLL and scripts (originally written by my company,
        Macrobyte Resources), now owned by the makers of Manila (still
        Userland Software?). It will handle your needs
        perfectly, as
        long as you're running on Windows or on a PPC Mac.
        Frontier on
        Mac Intel can't run any DLLs, so that's not a TLS problem.

        They distribute TLS freely, as long as you're not
        setting up a
        server for it. (In which case, you'd have to buy a license.)

        <http://tls.userland.com/download>

        2. Call out to the shell (on OS X) and use CURL or something
        similar.

        Hope that helps!

        Seth
      • Doug Frick
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
          At 6:04 PM -0500 12/1/2007, Seth wrote:
          > 2. Call out to the shell (on OS X) and use CURL or something
          > similar.

          I haven't tried calling curl, so that could be a viable free solution.
          But if you run into another dead end, NoLobe's Interarchy 8 supports
          FTP, FTP/SSH, FTP/SSL-TLS, HTTP, HTTPs, WebDAV, WebDAVs, iDisk and
          Amazon S3. I'm not using HTTPS, but I am using it for HTTP as well as
          FTP and SFTP (up and down). The suites.ftpClient interface to
          Interarchy seemed to be broken, so I hacked up some AppleScript glue
          to replace it. Contact me directly if you want to try this approach.
          --

          Doug Frick
          <mailto:dfrick@...>