Some questions on the Frontier 10.1a10 build

  • Andy Sylvester
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
      I downloaded the Frontier Kernel Source Code this weekend, and did
      builds with XCode 2.2.1 under Mac OS X 10.4.9. I was able to do a
      build successfully, but I have a few questions.

      1. I noticed that there was a drop-down list for "Frontier" and
      "OPML". I did builds for both, and saw that one created an
      application with a Frontier icon, and one created an application with
      a OPML icon. I assume that the OPML application is the one that
      supports the OPML Editor - is that correct? Is there any difference
      between the applications?

      2. I looked around the frontierkernel.org site, but did not see any
      direct links to any ODB roots for use with Frontier. I downloaded the
      Frontier Developer Preview 2 for Mac OS X and saw that there was a
      mainResponder.root and Frontier.root in that distribution. Is that
      the latest version of these roots?

      3. I noticed a reference on the home page for frontierkernel.org for
      a testing suite called fUnit. Where can I get a copy of this?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Andy Sylvester

      http://www.andysylvester.com
    • David Gewirtz
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
        1. Most of us don't have much to do with the OPML build. I'm not sure
        who constructed it, but it's not something we actively track here.
        That's not to say that we're not open to it, but it's pretty much a
        separate project.

        2. The very latest root files can be constructed from the svn files.
        But the latest preview release has some pretty workable stuff.

        3. fUnit is a suite. It's in suites.funit in the Frontier.root file.

        -- David

        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Andy Sylvester <andy@...> wrote:

        > I downloaded the Frontier Kernel Source Code this weekend, and did
        > builds with XCode 2.2.1 under Mac OS X 10.4.9. I was able to do a
        > build successfully, but I have a few questions.
        >
        > 1. I noticed that there was a drop-down list for "Frontier" and
        > "OPML". I did builds for both, and saw that one created an
        > application with a Frontier icon, and one created an application with
        > a OPML icon. I assume that the OPML application is the one that
        > supports the OPML Editor - is that correct? Is there any difference
        > between the applications?
        >
        > 2. I looked around the frontierkernel.org site, but did not see any
        > direct links to any ODB roots for use with Frontier. I downloaded the
        > Frontier Developer Preview 2 for Mac OS X and saw that there was a
        > mainResponder.root and Frontier.root in that distribution. Is that
        > the latest version of these roots?
        >
        > 3. I noticed a reference on the home page for frontierkernel.org for
        > a testing suite called fUnit. Where can I get a copy of this?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >
        > Andy Sylvester
        >
        > http://www.andysylvester.com

      • Andre Radke
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 4, 2007
          At 7:25 Uhr +0000 05.11.2007, David Gewirtz wrote:
          >1. Most of us don't have much to do with the OPML build. I'm not sure
          >who constructed it, but it's not something we actively track here.

          I was responsible for adding the OPML Editor build.

          The difference between Frontier and OPML Editor are really minor at
          the kernel level. They are compiled from the same source with just a
          few ifdefs here and there, mostly related to user interface stuff.

          -Andre

          --
          Andre Radke + http://spicynoodles.net/
        • creecode
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
            Hello Andy,

            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Andy Sylvester <andy@...> wrote:

            > I downloaded the Frontier Kernel Source Code this weekend, and did
            > builds with XCode 2.2.1 under Mac OS X 10.4.9. I was able to do a
            > build successfully, but I have a few questions.

            I would suggest working with the latest sources from the Subversion
            repository ( v10.1a15 ). Unless you have a specific need for 10.1a10.

            > 1. I noticed that there was a drop-down list for "Frontier" and
            > "OPML". I did builds for both, and saw that one created an
            > application with a Frontier icon, and one created an application with
            > a OPML icon. I assume that the OPML application is the one that
            > supports the OPML Editor - is that correct?

            As David mentioned we don't closely track recent OPML Editor changes here.

            > Is there any difference
            > between the applications?

            Yes, most definately. Frontier is the full meal deal.

            > 2. I looked around the frontierkernel.org site, but did not see any
            > direct links to any ODB roots for use with Frontier. I downloaded the
            > Frontier Developer Preview 2 for Mac OS X and saw that there was a
            > mainResponder.root and Frontier.root in that distribution. Is that
            > the latest version of these roots?

            Yes, as long as you do a root update on each of the appropriate databases.

            Toodle-looooooooooo..............
            creecode
          • David Gewirtz
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2007
              Neato. Andre, do you know if changes to the OPML binaries get checked
              in here? What about the root updates? I'd think the roots would be
              very different, right? They're probably not in our subversion?

              -- David

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 6, 2007
                At 7:08 Uhr +0000 06.11.2007, David Gewirtz wrote:
                >Neato. Andre, do you know if changes to the OPML binaries get checked
                >in here?

                There should be a tag in our repository that
                corresponds to the latest release of the OPML
                Editor variant of the kernel. I'm not aware of
                any kernel-level changes since that tag/release.

                >What about the root updates? I'd think the roots would be
                >very different, right? They're probably not in our subversion?

                The roots are indeed different and we don't track the changes in opml.root.

                André

                --
                Andre Radke + http://spicynoodles.net/