IUDA Desktop branch

  • creecode
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 23, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm setting up a new branch, something like IUDA Desktop.

      This branch will contain a variant of Frontier which provides the user
      with a desktop based website/discussion group archive that uses SQLite
      to access a 2.5+ gigabyte (and growing) SQLite database.

      Eventually I want to roll the changes into the main branch as I have
      ifdef'd the code so that the IUDA Desktop application can be compiled
      with some preprocessor flags, much like Radio or OPML Editor.

      Toodle-looooooooo..........
      creecode
    • Steve Hooker
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
        Hi Thomas,

        Are you doing this because Manila cannot cope well with too many messages? It bloats out the root. Saving a large root regularly isn't good.

        If you are, I'm very interested in helping in any way I can. Which probably only means testing. Though if large discussion groups aren't your intent, but you see that it could be a solution, then, I should do more. And I'd be very happy to do more.

        Steve Hooker
        http://www.blogfootball.com/service
        http://www.walsallschools.org/

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 24, 2007
          Hello Steve,

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Steve Hooker <steve@...> wrote:

          > Are you doing this because Manila cannot cope well with too many
          > messages? It bloats out the root. Saving a large root regularly
          isn't good.

          The main reasons are:

          1) some of my IMZ-Ural Discussion Archive <
          http://discussionArchive.imzUral.info/ > website users would like a
          desktop version of the messages.

          2) with the addition of sql related tools to our project here, I'm now
          taking a crack at fulfilling this desire.

          > If you are, I'm very interested in helping in any way I can. Which
          > probably only means testing. Though if large discussion groups aren't
          > your intent, but you see that it could be a solution, then, I should do
          > more. And I'd be very happy to do more.

          I appreciate your offer of help.

          The IUDA is a bit different from your usual discussion group in that
          it is a "ready only" discussion group. Basically an archive of
          messages that appear in other locations.

          My main focus so far has been to read messages out of a SQLite
          database. The code is very crude and ugly at this point. I'm
          extending the mainResponder verbs, related to reading messages, to
          deal with using an SQLite database.

          On the one hand having scripts that both do root based and SQLite
          discussion groups means only one place to update when new features are
          added. On the other hand the scripts are now an order of magnatude
          harder to follow because of the additional logic to grab data from
          roots or SQLite databases. Of course an SQLite set of discussion
          group message scripts is one alternative.

          My sense from my reading about SQLite databases is that they probably
          aren't suitable for discussions groups with lots of simultaneous
          users. Of course using MySQL shouldn't be too much of a change to the
          actual SQL statements.

          Naturally the source code will be available for folks to download soon
          after I release my application.

          Toodle-looooooooo........
          creecode
        • David Gewirtz
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:
            >> extending the mainResponder verbs

            Ooooh... do tell!

            Hmmm... actually, on second thought, does it make sense to modify the
            mainResponder verbs for a vertical app, or is it better to just build
            a separate verb category and use the mainResponder callbacks? So far,
            I haven't needed to go into the main mainResponder code at all to make
            changes -- everything I've done has worked nicely through callbacks.

            My concern here is maintaining separate trunks of mainResponder.
            Unless, of course, you can generalize mainResponder for different
            approaches or engines.

            > My sense from my reading about SQLite databases is that they probably
            > aren't suitable for discussions groups with lots of simultaneous

            Yep, that was my sense as well. As I started looking at building a
            database backend for the ZATZ sites, I realized there were too many
            issues about simultaneous access for SQLite that gave me the willies.
            So I used SQLite as my test case (it was easier to implement first),
            then went to MySQL. Right now, I've been running MySQL concurrently
            since just about when I put it online for Frontier.

            Converting my code was pretty easy going from SQLite to MySQL since
            the Frontier verbs were (designed to be) relatively similar.

            -- David
          • creecode
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
              Hello David,

              Let me clarify.

              --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

              > Hmmm... actually, on second thought, does it make sense to modify the
              > mainResponder verbs for a vertical app, or is it better to just build
              > a separate verb category and use the mainResponder callbacks?

              I've made copies of some mainResponder scripts and put them in my
              mainResponder based website and modified those.

              > So far,
              > I haven't needed to go into the main mainResponder code at all to make
              > changes -- everything I've done has worked nicely through callbacks.

              Hmmm.. Perhaps I missed some callback. I needed to list messages for
              a particular day and render messages.

              > My concern here is maintaining separate trunks of mainResponder.
              > Unless, of course, you can generalize mainResponder for different
              > approaches or engines.

              That is my mental quandary. I'm currently trying the extend my copies
              of mainResponder calls approach but as I said it's seems messy.

              > > My sense from my reading about SQLite databases is that they probably
              > > aren't suitable for discussions groups with lots of simultaneous
              >
              > Yep, that was my sense as well.

              I think SQLite will work well in this case for IUDA Desktop as it will
              be used by a single user at a time.

              Toodle-looooooooooooo........
              creecode
            • David Gewirtz
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
                Yeah, that makes sense. But what about instead of using, say, the
                mainResponder.discuss calls, you created your own iuda.discuss calls?
                That way, you're not futzing up the basic mainResponder calls and
                updates to those will still live in the root?

                There've been a number of generic Frontier verbs I've needed to
                modify, but instead of modifying them in Frontier's root code, I've
                added them to my own verb structure and call them from there.

                That way, I can always update Frontier with new fixes and keep my
                vertical code integrity pure.

                Just a thought.

                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                > Hello David,
                >
                > Let me clarify.
                >
                > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@> wrote:
                >
                > > Hmmm... actually, on second thought, does it make sense to modify the
                > > mainResponder verbs for a vertical app, or is it better to just build
                > > a separate verb category and use the mainResponder callbacks?
                >
                > I've made copies of some mainResponder scripts and put them in my
                > mainResponder based website and modified those.
                >
                > > So far,
                > > I haven't needed to go into the main mainResponder code at all to make
                > > changes -- everything I've done has worked nicely through callbacks.
                >
                > Hmmm.. Perhaps I missed some callback. I needed to list messages for
                > a particular day and render messages.
                >
                > > My concern here is maintaining separate trunks of mainResponder.
                > > Unless, of course, you can generalize mainResponder for different
                > > approaches or engines.
                >
                > That is my mental quandary. I'm currently trying the extend my copies
                > of mainResponder calls approach but as I said it's seems messy.
                >
                > > > My sense from my reading about SQLite databases is that they
                probably
                > > > aren't suitable for discussions groups with lots of simultaneous
                > >
                > > Yep, that was my sense as well.
                >
                > I think SQLite will work well in this case for IUDA Desktop as it will
                > be used by a single user at a time.
                >
                > Toodle-looooooooooooo........
                > creecode

              • creecode
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 25, 2007
                  Hello David,

                  At this time there won't be any effect on official mainResponder
                  discuss scripts.

                  --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                  > Yeah, that makes sense. But what about instead of using, say, the
                  > mainResponder.discuss calls, you created your own iuda.discuss calls?

                  The mainResponder discuss calls did pretty much what I wanted but
                  obviously not from where I needed. So I copied those scripts into my
                  MR website and modified those. With an eye towards that others may
                  someday want to run an SQLite based mainResponder discussion group and
                  could benefit from my work. So in essence I have created my own IUDA
                  discuss calls.

                  I don't have any big desire at this time to modify MR discuss calls to
                  handle more than one source of data just more of thinking of
                  possibilities.

                  Toodle-looooooooooooo........
                  creecode