mysql linking revisited

  • Henri Asseily
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
      I'ze got a proposition regarding the mysql linking situation.

      In Frontier, for both Windows and OS X, in order to use the mysql
      functions, you have to initialize the library, using mysql.init().
      The Frontier mysql wrapper implementation hides it in that it
      automatically does the initialization when you run mysql.connect().

      Therefore, the script writer has to always initialize the mysql
      library, whether he knows it or not.
      A good script writer will initialize it once, and never run mysql.init
      () inside a loop. That's also true for mysql.connect() unless he's
      connecting to different databases.

      I suggest the following:

      1- Disconnect mysql.init() from mysql.connect(): Make mysql.connect()
      initialize the library, unless it's already initialized. This will
      make script writers be able to choose when to initialize the library,
      independently of connecting to a db. That's useful for those who
      connect to multiple dbs and only need to initialize once.

      2- Inside mysql.init(), you fully dynamically load the library,
      ensuring that the correct minimum version is available.

      3- In the XCode and VisualStudio projects, you remove ALL references
      to the mysql shared libraries, and you DO NOT link them at all.

      Now, how does one "fully dynamically" load the library?

      On Macs and Unix in general, you do something like:

      --- BEGIN CODE ---

      // try to load the reentrant library
      void* lib_handle = dlopen("libmysqlclient_r.dylib", RTLD_LOCAL|
      RTLD_LAZY);
      if (!lib_handle) {
      // reentrant lib didn't load. try to load the non-reentrant lib
      void* lib_handle = dlopen("libmysqlclient.dylib", RTLD_LOCAL|
      RTLD_LAZY);

      if (!lib_handle) {
      // everything failed. Fail gracefully
      printf("[%s] Unable to load library: %s\n", __FILE__, dlerror());
      exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
      }
      }

      // now you have to manually load every function that the mysql
      wrapper will use
      int (*mysql_ping)(void) = dlsym(lib_handle, "mysql_ping");
      unsigned int (*mysql_num_fields)(void) = dlsym(lib_handle,
      "mysql_num_fields");
      // etc.. etc...

      --- END CODE ---

      On Windows, you do something similar, but instead of dlopen() and
      dlsym(), you use LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress().

      This proposal ensures that:
      - one can always compile Frontier, even if the mysql libs aren't there.
      - one can always run Frontier even if the mysql libs aren't there
      - Frontier will gracefully return a script error if one wants to call
      a mysql function when the libs aren't there.
      - The Frontier executable is somewhat smaller since it doesn't need
      to link every single function in the lib.

      Comments?

    • creecode
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
        Hey Henri,

        I could go for this proposal. Take a look at loadext.c from the
        SQLite3 code. I think it could be used as a guide for this fucntionality.

        Toodle-loooooooo........
        creecode

        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Henri Asseily <henri@...> wrote:

        > I'ze got a proposition regarding the mysql linking situation.
        >
        > In Frontier, for both Windows and OS X, in order to use the mysql
        > functions, you have to initialize the library, using mysql.init().
        > The Frontier mysql wrapper implementation hides it in that it
        > automatically does the initialization when you run mysql.connect().
        >
        > Therefore, the script writer has to always initialize the mysql
        > library, whether he knows it or not.
        > A good script writer will initialize it once, and never run mysql.init
        > () inside a loop. That's also true for mysql.connect() unless he's
        > connecting to different databases.
        >
        > I suggest the following:
        >
        > 1- Disconnect mysql.init() from mysql.connect(): Make mysql.connect()
        > initialize the library, unless it's already initialized. This will
        > make script writers be able to choose when to initialize the library,
        > independently of connecting to a db. That's useful for those who
        > connect to multiple dbs and only need to initialize once.
        >
        > 2- Inside mysql.init(), you fully dynamically load the library,
        > ensuring that the correct minimum version is available.
        >
        > 3- In the XCode and VisualStudio projects, you remove ALL references
        > to the mysql shared libraries, and you DO NOT link them at all.
        >
        > Now, how does one "fully dynamically" load the library?
        >
        > On Macs and Unix in general, you do something like:
        >
        > --- BEGIN CODE ---
        >
        > // try to load the reentrant library
        > void* lib_handle = dlopen("libmysqlclient_r.dylib", RTLD_LOCAL|
        > RTLD_LAZY);
        > if (!lib_handle) {
        > // reentrant lib didn't load. try to load the non-reentrant lib
        > void* lib_handle = dlopen("libmysqlclient.dylib", RTLD_LOCAL|
        > RTLD_LAZY);
        >
        > if (!lib_handle) {
        > // everything failed. Fail gracefully
        > printf("[%s] Unable to load library: %s\n", __FILE__, dlerror());
        > exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
        > }
        > }
        >
        > // now you have to manually load every function that the mysql
        > wrapper will use
        > int (*mysql_ping)(void) = dlsym(lib_handle, "mysql_ping");
        > unsigned int (*mysql_num_fields)(void) = dlsym(lib_handle,
        > "mysql_num_fields");
        > // etc.. etc...
        >

        > --- END CODE ---
        >
        > On Windows, you do something similar, but instead of dlopen() and
        > dlsym(), you use LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress().
        >
        > This proposal ensures that:
        > - one can always compile Frontier, even if the mysql libs aren't there.
        > - one can always run Frontier even if the mysql libs aren't there
        > - Frontier will gracefully return a script error if one wants to call
        > a mysql function when the libs aren't there.
        > - The Frontier executable is somewhat smaller since it doesn't need
        > to link every single function in the lib.
        >
        > Comments?
      • David Gewirtz
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
          Henri,

          I'm not sure I can support this approach -- unless it turns out
          there's no other way. A big (HUGE) reason I built the MySQL
          functionality into Frontier is that there's all sorts of added
          complication when libraries are loaded dynamically.

          The download is something like 200K bigger, which is meaningless in
          today's world, and if you don't fire mysql.init(), Frontier doesn't do
          any additional allocation.

          The only gotcha is Thomas' .DLL problem, which I'll look into this
          weekend.

          I guess it's up to everyone here, but my own vote is that the code
          needs to be compiled and linked into Frontier so we don't have to have
          the allocation/loading/integration issues we've had with the ODBC DLL
          (which I can't run in a production environment reliably). I've been
          running the MySQL code now, 24/7 doing database work constantly for
          about a month now, without a single crash.

          -- David

        • creecode
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
            Let me further refine my statement. That is assuming there isn't some
            disadvantage to this approach like instability, difficult to code, etc.

            I'm fine with the current approach being taken in the MySQL branch as
            a first pass, assuming we can figure out the DLL issue I seem to be
            having.

            It seems to me the difference between these two methods has a minor
            impact on the scripter so we can test some different ways of handling
            this issue.

            After the first pass effort we could do another MySQL branch to try
            the dynamic loading to see how it works.

            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

            > I could go for this proposal.
          • David Gewirtz
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
              Just did a first test on a freshly imaged Windows box, and my
              apologies to the group.

              Apparently, each machine I had earlier tested Frontier on had a MySQL
              install. If you drop the DLL next to Frontier.exe, Frontier loads
              fine. Likewise, if the DLL is installed by MySQL, Frontier loads fine.
              But right now, Frontier with MySQL does require the DLL, even though
              mysql.init isn't called.

              So, that's something I've got to look into. There's got to be
              something about it on the MySQL site, because PHP doesn't require
              MySQL to be installed to run, yet is also compiled with the same MySQL
              API.

              Stay tuned.

              --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

              > Let me further refine my statement. That is assuming there isn't some
              > disadvantage to this approach like instability, difficult to code, etc.
              >
              > I'm fine with the current approach being taken in the MySQL branch as
              > a first pass, assuming we can figure out the DLL issue I seem to be
              > having.
              >
              > It seems to me the difference between these two methods has a minor
              > impact on the scripter so we can test some different ways of handling
              > this issue.
              >
              > After the first pass effort we could do another MySQL branch to try
              > the dynamic loading to see how it works.
              >
              > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@> wrote:
              >
              > > I could go for this proposal.

            • David Gewirtz
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
                OK, found this on the PHP site:

                MySQL is no longer enabled by default, so the php_mysql.dll DLL must
                be enabled inside of php.ini. Also, PHP needs access to the MySQL
                client library. A file named libmysql.dll is included in the Windows
                PHP distribution and in order for PHP to talk to MySQL this file needs
                to be available to the Windows systems PATH. See the FAQ titled "How
                do I add my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows" for information on
                how to do this. Although copying libmysql.dll to the Windows system
                directory also works (because the system directory is by default in
                the system's PATH), it's not recommended.

                Still looking. Gotta go workout in a few minutes, so I may or may not
                get more info on this up tonight.

                -- David
              • David Gewirtz
                Message 7 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
                  Found this:

                  "You can either link your code with the dynamic libmysql.lib library,
                  which is just a wrapper to load in libmysql.dll on demand, or link
                  with the static mysqlclient.lib library."

                  I'll try relinking with mysqlclient.lib and see if that solves the
                  problem. Could be an easy answer. Apparently, reading the docs is a
                  good idea as well. Who knew?

                  -- David

                  --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                  > OK, found this on the PHP site:
                  >
                  > MySQL is no longer enabled by default, so the php_mysql.dll DLL must
                  > be enabled inside of php.ini. Also, PHP needs access to the MySQL
                  > client library. A file named libmysql.dll is included in the Windows
                  > PHP distribution and in order for PHP to talk to MySQL this file needs
                  > to be available to the Windows systems PATH. See the FAQ titled "How
                  > do I add my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows" for information on
                  > how to do this. Although copying libmysql.dll to the Windows system
                  > directory also works (because the system directory is by default in
                  > the system's PATH), it's not recommended.
                  >
                  > Still looking. Gotta go workout in a few minutes, so I may or may not
                  > get more info on this up tonight.
                  >
                  > -- David

                • David Gewirtz
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
                    8,620 pounds, 431 pounds/minute. Whew, workout finished and Frontier
                    testing resumed...

                    So, I recompiled Frontier with the mysqlclient.lib library instead of
                    libmysql.dll, and the problem goes away.

                    Yep, it pays to read the documentation. I'll have to consider doing
                    that for future projects. Relink with mysqlclient.lib and Frontier
                    will load properly.

                    Unfortunately, Frontier does grow by 2MB, but with a 500GB drive
                    available for $139, do we really care about 2MB? I think not so much.

                    -- David

                    --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                    > Found this:
                    >
                    > "You can either link your code with the dynamic libmysql.lib library,
                    > which is just a wrapper to load in libmysql.dll on demand, or link
                    > with the static mysqlclient.lib library."
                    >
                    > I'll try relinking with mysqlclient.lib and see if that solves the
                    > problem. Could be an easy answer. Apparently, reading the docs is a
                    > good idea as well. Who knew?
                    >
                    > -- David
                    >

                    > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > OK, found this on the PHP site:
                    > >
                    > > MySQL is no longer enabled by default, so the php_mysql.dll DLL must
                    > > be enabled inside of php.ini. Also, PHP needs access to the MySQL
                    > > client library. A file named libmysql.dll is included in the Windows
                    > > PHP distribution and in order for PHP to talk to MySQL this file needs
                    > > to be available to the Windows systems PATH. See the FAQ titled "How
                    > > do I add my PHP directory to the PATH on Windows" for information on
                    > > how to do this. Although copying libmysql.dll to the Windows system
                    > > directory also works (because the system directory is by default in
                    > > the system's PATH), it's not recommended.
                    > >
                    > > Still looking. Gotta go workout in a few minutes, so I may or may not
                    > > get more info on this up tonight.
                    > >
                    > > -- David

                  • creecode
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
                      Hey David,

                      No problemo... and no need to apologize. This is what programming is
                      all about, get something going, and then improve, improve, improve... :-)

                      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                      > Just did a first test on a freshly imaged Windows box, and my
                      > apologies to the group.
                      >
                      > Apparently, each machine I had earlier tested Frontier on had a MySQL
                      > install. If you drop the DLL next to Frontier.exe, Frontier loads
                      > fine.

                      I was having trouble even though I had put the dll next to Frontier.
                      I couldn't get Frontier to launch. I was testing without any of the
                      FDP2 files in place, just the bare program. I was expecting to get
                      the please select a databasse dialog but none appeared. So even
                      thought the missing DLL dialog had gone away I was still apparently
                      having some kind of problem.
                    • creecode
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jun 14, 2007
                        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                        > Relink with mysqlclient.lib and Frontier
                        > will load properly.

                        I'll give it a go.

                        > Unfortunately, Frontier does grow by 2MB, but with a 500GB drive
                        > available for $139, do we really care about 2MB? I think not so much.

                        Program size doesn't concern me too much.
                      • creecode
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                          No go for me but I'm sure there I've fouled up the project file.
                          David, could you commit your changed project files?

                          Toodle-looooooooooooo......
                          creecode

                          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                          > I'll give it a go.
                        • David Gewirtz
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                            > David, could you commit your changed project files?

                            Done. Try it now.

                            -- David
                          • creecode
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                              I got a successful compile and was able to connect to a database over
                              my network and pull back a query.

                              I did see about 30 or so warnings that seemed to be related to ssl
                              object files not being found or some such. The messages have gone by
                              but I'll try to grab some examples soon. David, did you get similar
                              warnings and should these be of concern?

                              I also read the bit on <
                              http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-client-compiling.html
                              >. Should we include the my_global.h?

                              --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                              > Done. Try it now.
                            • David Gewirtz
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                                > I got a successful compile and was able to connect to a database over
                                > my network and pull back a query.

                                Yay!

                                > I did see about 30 or so warnings that seemed to be related to ssl
                                > object files not being found or some such. The messages have gone by
                                > but I'll try to grab some examples soon. David, did you get similar
                                > warnings and should these be of concern?

                                Frontier has always spooled so many warnings that I've learned to just
                                ignore them. Perhaps, someday, it'll make sense to clean them up.
                                Honestly, I've been beating the crap out of the MySQL implementation
                                and haven't yet found any problems, so I don't think it's a super-big
                                issue.

                                I'm planning on going live on our production server with one segment
                                of the ZATZ system reimplemented using MySQL instead of ODB this
                                weekend. I suspect I'll learn a lot if all goes to hell. That said,
                                I've been churning a whole lot of cycles (hundreds of millions of
                                calls into and out of the MySQL verbs) and I've had no problems (wood
                                on knock).

                                > I also read the bit on <
                                > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-client-compiling.html
                                > >. Should we include the my_global.h?

                                Couldn't hurt. I hope. I'm not getting any errors without it, though.
                                If you want, I could add it to langmysql.c. Let me know, and I'll
                                recommit. (I'm married for a few years now, so I'm no longer
                                committment-phobic).

                                -- David
                              • creecode
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                                  For anyones information...

                                  Linking...

                                  mysqlclient.lib(ssl.obj) : warning LNK4075: ignoring
                                  '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification

                                  mysqlclient.lib(aes.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(aestables.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was
                                  not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(algebra.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(arc4.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(asn.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(coding.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(des.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(dh.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(dsa.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(file.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(hash.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(integer.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(md2.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(md4.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(md5.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(misc.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(random.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(ripemd.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(rsa.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(sha.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(yassl_int.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was
                                  not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(yassl_imp.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was
                                  not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(yassl_error.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was
                                  not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(timer.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(ssl.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(socket_wrapper.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb'
                                  was not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(log.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not
                                  found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(handshake.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was
                                  not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(crypto_wrapper.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb'
                                  was not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(cert_wrapper.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb'
                                  was not found with '..\Common\MySQL\lib\debug\mysqlclient.lib' or at
                                  'c:\Documents and Settings\creecode\My
                                  Documents\Development\Frontier_MySQL\build_VC2K5\Debug\vc70.pdb';
                                  linking object as if no debug info

                                  mysqlclient.lib(buffer.obj) : warning LNK4099: PDB 'vc70.pdb' was not

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 15, 2007
                                    > linking object as if no debug info

                                    Yeah, that's not going to be a real problem for us. Basically, it's
                                    only a problem if you're trying to debug _into_ the MySQL call. At
                                    some point that might be desireable, but for now it's fine.

                                    -- David

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 16, 2007
                                      I've added my_global.h with no apparent ill effects. I've compiled
                                      for debug and release and both seem to function properly including
                                      making some MySQL calls.

                                      I've committed the changes. Now to pop back to the Mac side to see
                                      what needs to be tweaked.

                                      I've been thinking we should update to the latest v5.0.x ( v5.0.41 ? )
                                      MySQL before we do the release but I'd like to get everything working
                                      with v5.0.37 first.

                                      Toodle-looooooooooo..........
                                      creecode

                                      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                                      > > I also read the bit on <
                                      > > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-client-compiling.html
                                      > > >. Should we include the my_global.h?
                                      > >

                                      > Couldn't hurt. I hope. I'm not getting any errors without it, though.
                                      > If you want, I could add it to langmysql.c. Let me know, and I'll
                                      > recommit. (I'm married for a few years now, so I'm no longer
                                      > committment-phobic).
                                    • Henri Asseily
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jun 16, 2007
                                        FYI I rebuilt a damned superfat thread-safe mysql client dynamic
                                        shared library version 5.0.41 for the mac, that has ppc, ppc64, i386
                                        and x86_64 in it. That should take care of all the options. I haven't
                                        tested it yet. I'll pop it into the source, link to it and see if it
                                        works.

                                        The guys from MySQL are frustrating in that it should be easy for
                                        them to build a truly universal binary. They don't do it and it
                                        pisses everyone off (everyone on the Mac side is pissed because of
                                        the exact problem we've got: you can't link a library into your
                                        universal binary unless it itself is universal).

                                        On Jun 16, 2007, at 8:59 PM, creecode wrote:

                                        > I've added my_global.h with no apparent ill effects. I've compiled
                                        > for debug and release and both seem to function properly including
                                        > making some MySQL calls.
                                        >
                                        > I've committed the changes. Now to pop back to the Mac side to see
                                        > what needs to be tweaked.
                                        >
                                        > I've been thinking we should update to the latest v5.0.x ( v5.0.41 ? )
                                        > MySQL before we do the release but I'd like to get everything working
                                        > with v5.0.37 first.
                                        >
                                        > Toodle-looooooooooo..........
                                        > creecode
                                        >
                                        > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...>
                                        > wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > > I also read the bit on <
                                        > > > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-client-
                                        > compiling.html
                                        > > >

                                        > > Couldn't hurt. I hope. I'm not getting any errors without it,
                                        > though.
                                        > > If you want, I could add it to langmysql.c. Let me know, and I'll
                                        > > recommit. (I'm married for a few years now, so I'm no longer
                                        > > committment-phobic).

                                      • David Gewirtz
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jun 16, 2007
                                          5.0.41 is the latest generally available release. It's got a few bug
                                          fixes:

                                          http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/releasenotes-cs-5-0-41.html

                                          I think it's a good idea to update to that version since there's four
                                          more months of fixes on it and it's in release state. I can bring it
                                          into the vendor file and the mysql branch and commit it up, but I
                                          don't want to do that until you commit your latest changes.

                                          Let me know when.

                                          -- David

                                          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                                          > I've added my_global.h with no apparent ill effects. I've compiled
                                          > for debug and release and both seem to function properly including
                                          > making some MySQL calls.
                                          >
                                          > I've committed the changes. Now to pop back to the Mac side to see
                                          > what needs to be tweaked.
                                          >
                                          > I've been thinking we should update to the latest v5.0.x ( v5.0.41 ? )
                                          > MySQL before we do the release but I'd like to get everything working
                                          > with v5.0.37 first.
                                          >
                                          > Toodle-looooooooooo..........
                                          > creecode
                                          >
                                          > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@> wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > > I also read the bit on <
                                          > > > http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-client-compiling.html
                                          > > >

                                          > > Couldn't hurt. I hope. I'm not getting any errors without it, though.
                                          > > If you want, I could add it to langmysql.c. Let me know, and I'll
                                          > > recommit. (I'm married for a few years now, so I'm no longer
                                          > > committment-phobic).

                                        • creecode
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 16, 2007
                                            I'v created a MySQL vendor drop that contains the minimal directories
                                            for Mac ( Intel, PPC ) and Win.

                                            I'm in the process of tweaking directories and projects to work with
                                            the new layout.

                                            I'll give a heads up when things stabilize.

                                            Toodle-looooooooo.........
                                            creecode

                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jun 17, 2007
                                              Hello all,

                                              OK. Things should be relatively stable, unless of course someone else
                                              mucks about! :-) Projects should be up to date. If you have an
                                              inclination to test things out, give 'em a go and let us know how it goes.

                                              I wasn't able to get Frontier Windows to compile with MySQL v5.0.41.
                                              It did compile for Mac. There were fatal errors that seem to be
                                              related to SSL and compression. It was almost as if the warning
                                              errors that we had before turned fatal. Dropped back to v5.0.37 and
                                              all is well.

                                              If a Windows programmer can get 5.0.41 working, it would be grand! If
                                              we can't get 5.0.41 going then I'll need to revert the current MySQL
                                              vendor drop. It is certainly possible I botched the vendor drop so
                                              you may want to use files from the MySQL download. If you get it to
                                              work please don't commit the files for MySQL from your working copy
                                              into the branch. Let me know and I'll work the vendor drop over and
                                              move the files into the branch from there.

                                              The next thing for me to do is to merge recent changes from the trunk
                                              into the branch.

                                              Toodle-loooooooooooo...........
                                              creecode

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jun 17, 2007
                                                I'm not sure but I think this bug <
                                                http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=27861. > is relevant. If this is
                                                indeed the issue then it would appear that v5.0.41 is dead for us.
                                                But no worries v5.0.37 to the rescue! :-).

                                                --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                                                > I wasn't able to get Frontier Windows to compile with MySQL v5.0.41.
                                                > It did compile for Mac. There were fatal errors that seem to be
                                                > related to SSL and compression. It was almost as if the warning
                                                > errors that we had before turned fatal. Dropped back to v5.0.37 and
                                                > all is well.
                                              • David Gewirtz
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jun 17, 2007
                                                  Yep, I read it the same way. Looks like it'll be fixed, but "in the
                                                  next rev". Since SSL is nice, but not strictly necessary for us to
                                                  just get started in this space, let's stick with 5.0.37 and then rev
                                                  it either for when they fix this, or for the next major MySQL release.

                                                  So, do you want me to test by updating my tree? Is that the best way
                                                  to go for the next step?

                                                  And do you want me to move it into the trunk or (pretty please, with
                                                  sugar-on-top) will you? I'm always nervous moving things into the trunk.

                                                  -- David

                                                  --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                                                  > I'm not sure but I think this bug <
                                                  > http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=27861. > is relevant. If this is
                                                  > indeed the issue then it would appear that v5.0.41 is dead for us.
                                                  > But no worries v5.0.37 to the rescue! :-).
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@> wrote:
                                                  >
                                                  > > I wasn't able to get Frontier Windows to compile with MySQL v5.0.41.
                                                  > > It did compile for Mac. There were fatal errors that seem to be
                                                  > > related to SSL and compression. It was almost as if the warning
                                                  > > errors that we had before turned fatal. Dropped back to v5.0.37 and
                                                  > > all is well.

                                                • creecode
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jun 17, 2007
                                                    Hey David,

                                                    --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@...> wrote:

                                                    > let's stick with 5.0.37

                                                    Sounds like a plan. I'll clean up the vendor drop soon.

                                                    > So, do you want me to test by updating my tree? Is that the best way
                                                    > to go for the next step?

                                                    Yes. I've just brought recent changes from the trunk into the branch.

                                                    I suggest a fresh checkout for testing.

                                                    > And do you want me to move it into the trunk or (pretty please, with
                                                    > sugar-on-top) will you? I'm always nervous moving things into the trunk.

                                                    I'd be happy to give it a go when the time comes.

                                                    Toodle-loooooo.........
                                                    creecode
                                                  • David Gewirtz
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jun 21, 2007
                                                      Thomas,

                                                      Haven't forgotten this. I've been on deadline all week. I'll try to
                                                      get this done over the weekend.

                                                      -- David

                                                      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                                                      > Hey David,
                                                      >
                                                      > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@> wrote:
                                                      >
                                                      > > let's stick with 5.0.37
                                                      >
                                                      > Sounds like a plan. I'll clean up the vendor drop soon.
                                                      >
                                                      > > So, do you want me to test by updating my tree? Is that the best way
                                                      > > to go for the next step?
                                                      >
                                                      > Yes. I've just brought recent changes from the trunk into the branch.
                                                      >
                                                      > I suggest a fresh checkout for testing.
                                                      >
                                                      > > And do you want me to move it into the trunk or (pretty please, with
                                                      > > sugar-on-top) will you? I'm always nervous moving things into the
                                                      trunk.

                                                      > I'd be happy to give it a go when the time comes.
                                                      >
                                                      > Toodle-loooooo.........
                                                      > creecode

                                                    • creecode
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jun 21, 2007
                                                        No worries...

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jun 27, 2007
                                                          Thomas, I did a full build. It looks good. I have run it in production
                                                          yet, but it ran nicely on a test machine without MySQL installed. At
                                                          this point, it's probably fair to say "go".

                                                          What do you think about bumping the version number to 10.2 or 11.0?

                                                          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "creecode" <creecode@...> wrote:

                                                          > No worries...
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "David Gewirtz" <david@> wrote:
                                                          >
                                                          > > Haven't forgotten this. I've been on deadline all week. I'll try to
                                                          > > get this done over the weekend.

                                                        • Seth
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jun 27, 2007
                                                            On 6/27/2007, David Gewirtz said:

                                                            >What do you think about bumping the version number to 10.2 or 11.0?

                                                            I seem to remember agreeing, ages ago, that the odd numbers
                                                            would be the developer releases and the even numbers would be
                                                            the releases that we say are solid, stable, well tested, and
                                                            absolutely ready for production use. The even numbered releases
                                                            would only include features that have had lots of time to burn
                                                            in. (Even Dave Winer participated in that conversation.)

                                                            Anecdotal "seems stable" evidence doesn't seem like it's good
                                                            enough for that kind of recommendation, IMO.

                                                            Seth
                                                          • Andre Radke
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jun 27, 2007
                                                              At 15:48 Uhr +0000 27.06.2007, David Gewirtz wrote:
                                                              >What do you think about bumping the version number to 10.2 or 11.0?

                                                              During the early days of this project, we settled on using odd
                                                              version numbers (10.1) for experimental releases and even version
                                                              numbers (10.0, 10.2, 11.0) for stable releases.

                                                              The current version of trunk would require a lot more testing to
                                                              qualify as "stable" in my book. While that's the case, I'm against
                                                              bumping the version number to 10.2 or 11.0.

                                                              BTW, I just recovered from two weeks without phone or internet access
                                                              at home or else I would have replied to your earlier question about
                                                              bumping the version number.

                                                              -Andre

                                                              --
                                                              Andre Radke + http://spicynoodles.net/
                                                            • David Gewirtz
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jun 27, 2007
                                                                Seeming stable is about as close as I ever get. Ask my close friends
                                                                and they'll often say, "Well, this week, he seems more stable...".

                                                                Yeah, I remember that discussion. OK, how about 10.3 or 11.1, to
                                                                indicate there's a lot of new stuff? We've added 50+ new verbs and two
                                                                massively new capabilities. Surely that deserves going up a number or two.

                                                                For the record, this isn't a big thing to me, but it just seemed we've
                                                                just lived on 10.1 for pretty-much forever.

                                                                Andre, a week without phone or Internet access ... on one hand, that
                                                                seems incredibly healthy, on the other hand, wow, I don't know how you
                                                                could stand it.

                                                                -- David