Re: Native MySQL in Frontier

  • creecode
    Message 1 of 45 , Jun 8 1:25 PM
      Hello all,

      I think the source and binary we distribute should work out of the box
      with as little extra work needed to get something going. If you need
      something different and you're a developer, you can alter the source
      to your liking. If you're an end user and need support for something
      we don't handle, make a feature request and we'll see what we can do.

      For example lets say I'm an end user that just wants to connect to an
      existing MySQL Server over a network. Ideally I shouldn't need to
      download files and install servers in this situation.

      I realize that we are starting out with v5.0.37 and that there are
      other versions out there. v4.x 64 bit, etc. This is just a starting
      point, lets get something going and then extend as needed.

      I think the Win version is using libraries just like the Mac version.

      Toodle-looooooooooooooo.......
      creecode

      --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Henri Asseily <henri@...> wrote:

      > One remaining question regarding the Mac build is:
      > do we build a local mysql client library as done with the Windows
      > build, or does one assume a preexisting library?
      > In general on the Mac the user will already have a mysql client
      > library installed somewhere.
      >
      > The positive of a local build is that the binary builder controls the
      > environment (versioning, etc...).
      > The negative is that the binary builder controls the environment, not
      > the user of Frontier.
      > Another negative is that mysql client libs depend on other libs
      > (ssl, ...) that are standard on the Mac. Do you then also make a
      > local build of those or risk versioning problems between them and the
      > mysql libs?
      >
      > I'm for NOT doing a local build, since it's the Unix way. And it
      > shouldn't be that bad for a user, as long as:
      > - downloading and installing the mysql client libs is easy (it is)
      > - Frontier gracefully handles a missing or wrong version of the mysql
      > client lib (David?)
    • creecode
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 11, 2007
        I've added a feature request <
        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1752189&group_id=120666&atid=687801
        >, with some additional information that may be of interest.

        Toodle-looooooooooo........
        creecode