Thanks to Dave Luebbert

  • David Gewirtz
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
      As you may have noticed, we've had a pretty nasty run of spam messages
      the past week or so. Dave Luebbert, who started the list, removed the
      spam that he could identify going back to October. He also banned the
      member, concepts_sys, that was sending spam to the group regularly.

      Although he's still a member of the list, he hasn't been checking the
      discussion all that closely. He's made me "list mom" and I'll be
      watching the list and hopefully catching and killing spam.

      If there are other tweaks you think we should do, let me know and I'll
      update things accordingly.

      -- David
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2007
        > As you may have noticed, we've had a pretty nasty run of spam messages
        > the past week or so. Dave Luebbert, who started the list, removed the
        > spam that he could identify going back to October. He also banned the
        > member, concepts_sys, that was sending spam to the group regularly.
        >
        > Although he's still a member of the list, he hasn't been checking the
        > discussion all that closely. He's made me "list mom" and I'll be
        > watching the list and hopefully catching and killing spam.
        >
        > If there are other tweaks you think we should do, let me know and I'll
        > update things accordingly.

        I've always found it useful to set new members to moderated. And
        immediately unmoderate them on the posting of their first on-topic posts.
        It completely eliminates hit-and-run spammers. Those you simply delete
        their messages and ban their account.

        What does help is to add more than one moderator. That way people's
        legitimate messages don't get caught in a queue waiting on a single
        moderator's attention. It also helps avoid possible censorship issues as
        more than one moderator can see how messages have been handled. Yahoo's
        setup allows for putting limits on just how much a co-moderator can or can't
        do and see.

        -Bill Kearney
        Syndic8.com
      • creecode
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
          I'd be happy to add helping to moderate this group to the other admin
          duties I do for the community. I'd rather be a secondary admin.

          I also like the idea of folks being moderated until there first
          relevant post.

          Just this morning I've gotten three new spams from this list! :-(

          Toodle-loooooooooooooo..........
          creecode

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <ml_yahoo@...>
          wrote:

          > I've always found it useful to set new members to moderated. And
          > immediately unmoderate them on the posting of their first on-topic
          posts.
          > It completely eliminates hit-and-run spammers. Those you simply delete
          > their messages and ban their account.
          >
          > What does help is to add more than one moderator. That way people's
          > legitimate messages don't get caught in a queue waiting on a single
          > moderator's attention. It also helps avoid possible censorship
          issues as
          > more than one moderator can see how messages have been handled. Yahoo's
          > setup allows for putting limits on just how much a co-moderator can
          or can't
          > do and see.
        • David Gewirtz
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 29, 2007
            Just set moderated on first post to on. Let's see how that works, both
            from a "do we moderate timely enough" and "will it kill spam"
            perspective. Thomas, I'll try to set you as a secondary moderator as
            well. You should get a status change in email if I do it right.

            -- David