ANN: SourceForge Frontier project

  • Terry Teague
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
      Dear Folks,

      As I hinted earlier, I have a SourceForge project for Frontier, now basically up
      and running.

      The URL is :

      <http://frontierkernel.sourceforge.net/>

      The source code is checked into CVS, and there are some bug trackers set
      up.

      The main page has some broken links, and none of the automated build stuff
      has been implemented yet, but it is a start.

      The CVS respository is laid out a little differently from André's Subversion
      repository.

      I checked in everything from the Frontier 10.0a1 release - I prefer to use
      MacCVS Pro as my CVS client, so I checked in all files that have Mac
      resource forks, using AppleSingle; all cross-platform files that are binary (Mac
      data fork only), using binary ('-kb'); all cross-platform files that are TEXT, using
      UNIX line endings - I would be interested in hearing how well it works for you
      on various platforms using various CVS clients.

      I tagged the initial release.

      There is a lot of the FrontierSDK stuff not used by the application build - André
      checked in StuffIt archives of these pieces into Subversion. I didn't know at the
      time what pieces of the SDKs were used by the application build, so I checked
      everything in. Probably when I get to automating source tarballs, I will only
      include the sources actually used by the application build.

      Other differences between the CVS and Subversion repositories - I renamed
      the "build_CW8" directory to "build", with the intent that other build
      environments can be supported in that directory (as I do with other
      SourceForge projects), such as Visual C++, GNU autoconf etc. I also renamed
      a couple of directories and built binaries in the SDK to remove embedded
      spaces in their filenames. I will be updating the ReadMe document to reflect
      these changes.

      It is NOT my intent to fork Frontier, so I will be finding ways to synchronize the
      Subversion and CVS respositories - initially this will probably be done
      manually, but eventually I would like to automate this. Or when/if SourceForge
      moves to Subversion (SourceForge is evaluating Subversion), convert the
      repository completely.

      Anyway, have a look, and feel free to request to be added as a project
      developer or admin. I will do more work on the bug trackers, and possibly
      mailing lists and forums - your feedback on what you would like to see is
      welcomed.

      I haven't finished my work on adding support for Spotlight yet, but when I have
      got far enough, I will check in my changes.

      Regards, Terry
    • Andre Radke
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
        At 8:27 Uhr +0000 12.10.2004, Terry Teague wrote:
        >I checked in everything from the Frontier 10.0a1
        >release - I prefer to use MacCVS Pro as my CVS
        >client, so I checked in all files that have Mac
        >resource forks, using AppleSingle; all
        >cross-platform files that are binary (Mac data
        >fork only), using binary ('-kb'); all
        >cross-platform files that are TEXT, using UNIX
        >line endings - I would be interested in hearing
        >how well it works for you on various platforms
        >using various CVS clients.

        FWIW, using the cvs 1.10 command-line client that comes with OS X 10.3, I get:

        jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$ cvs
        -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/frontierkernel
        login
        (Logging in to anonymous@...)
        CVS password:
        jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$ cvs
        -z3
        -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/frontierkernel
        checkout Frontier
        cvs checkout: Updating Frontier
        U Frontier/LICENSE.txt
        [..snip..]
        Frontier/FrontierSDK/Extras/FrontierInstallFileCreator/FrontierInstallFileCreato_files/image018.gif
        cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory
        Frontier/FrontierSDK/Extras/NerdÕsGuideToFrontier_files:
        Invalid argument
        jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$

        Using MacCVS Pro 3.0a3 (Carbon), it fails to
        check out that directory and only retrieves a
        file called "Ner".

        When I turned off the "Use UTF-8 filenames"
        option (default: on) in the session settings, the
        directory and associated files were checked out
        properly.

        -Andre
      • Andre Radke
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          At 8:27 Uhr +0000 12.10.2004, Terry Teague wrote:
          >Other differences between the CVS and Subversion repositories - I
          >renamed the "build_CW8" directory to "build", with the intent that
          >other build environments can be supported in that directory (as I do
          >with other SourceForge projects), such as Visual C++, GNU autoconf
          >etc.

          My intention was to have a _separate_ directory for every build
          environment, e.g. build_CW8 for CodeWarrior 8.3, build_xcode for
          XCode, build_vc6 for Visual C++ 6.0, etc.

          Whether these directories live at the top-level or inside a
          subdirectory (e.g. named "build") doesn't really matter to me. I just
          wanted to avoid project files specific to different build
          environments ending up in the same directory. Therefore, I would have
          put the Frontier.mcp file into Frontier/build/codewarrior (or
          something like that) rather than just Frontier/build...

          >I also renamed a couple of directories and built binaries in the SDK
          >to remove embedded spaces in their filenames. I will be updating the
          >ReadMe document to reflect these changes.

          I believe the Frontier SDK has not been updated since the 4.0
          release. How about we archive the Frontier SDK folder as it shipped
          with 10.0a1, merge the files we actually need to build Frontier over
          into the Common folder and remove the rest from the repositor(y|ies)?

          -Andre
        • Terry Teague
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
            --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Andre Radke <lists@s...> wrote:
            > At 8:27 Uhr +0000 12.10.2004, Terry Teague wrote:
            > >Other differences between the CVS and Subversion repositories - I
            > >renamed the "build_CW8" directory to "build", with the intent that
            > >other build environments can be supported in that directory (as I do
            > >with other SourceForge projects), such as Visual C++, GNU autoconf
            > >etc.
            >
            > My intention was to have a _separate_ directory for every build
            > environment, e.g. build_CW8 for CodeWarrior 8.3, build_xcode for
            > XCode, build_vc6 for Visual C++ 6.0, etc.
            >
            > Whether these directories live at the top-level or inside a
            > subdirectory (e.g. named "build") doesn't really matter to me. I just
            > wanted to avoid project files specific to different build
            > environments ending up in the same directory. Therefore, I would have
            > put the Frontier.mcp file into Frontier/build/codewarrior (or
            > something like that) rather than just Frontier/build...

            You are quite correct of course. My intent was the same, but the CVS
            checkins took a long time, and there were some late nights, and I
            wasn't thinking clearly ;)

            For the moment it isn't an issue, but I can fix this up.

            > >I also renamed a couple of directories and built binaries in the SDK
            > >to remove embedded spaces in their filenames. I will be updating the
            > >ReadMe document to reflect these changes.
            >
            > I believe the Frontier SDK has not been updated since the 4.0
            > release. How about we archive the Frontier SDK folder as it shipped
            > with 10.0a1, merge the files we actually need to build Frontier over
            > into the Common folder and remove the rest from the repositor(y|ies)?

            I basically agree. I probably should have done the analysis (like you
            did - you were obviously more familiar with the code base than I was)
            before the CVS checkin. Part of the intent was to check in the first
            open source release (import if you will, except I didn't use import)
            more or less "as-is", and trim/re-arrange as necessary for future
            releases - people may still want to be able to build stuff from the
            Frontier SDK, and we may want to update any old stuff (there were still
            references to the 68K version of Frontier), fix bugs etc.

            I will be doing more work in this area, but I just wanted to get the
            initial release checked in to start with.

            Regards, Terry
          • Terry Teague
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2004
              --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, Andre Radke <lists@s...> wrote:
              > At 8:27 Uhr +0000 12.10.2004, Terry Teague wrote:
              > >I checked in everything from the Frontier 10.0a1
              > >release - I prefer to use MacCVS Pro as my CVS
              > >client, so I checked in all files that have Mac
              > >resource forks, using AppleSingle; all
              > >cross-platform files that are binary (Mac data
              > >fork only), using binary ('-kb'); all
              > >cross-platform files that are TEXT, using UNIX
              > >line endings - I would be interested in hearing
              > >how well it works for you on various platforms
              > >using various CVS clients.
              >
              > FWIW, using the cvs 1.10 command-line client that comes with OS X 10.3, I get:
              >
              > jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$ cvs
              > -d:pserver:anonymous@c...:/cvsroot/frontierkernel
              > login
              > (Logging in to anonymous@c...)
              > CVS password:
              > jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$ cvs
              > -z3
              > -d:pserver:anonymous@c...:/cvsroot/frontierkernel
              > checkout Frontier
              > cvs checkout: Updating Frontier
              > U Frontier/LICENSE.txt
              > [..snip..]
              > Frontier/FrontierSDK/Extras/FrontierInstallFileCreator/FrontierInstallFileCreato_files/image018.gif
              > cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot make directory
              > Frontier/FrontierSDK/Extras/NerdÕsGuideToFrontier_files:
              > Invalid argument
              > jannu:~/Desktop/subversion/sourceforge andre$

              Yes, unfortunately I saw the single quote mark in
              "Nerd'sGuideToFrontier" being converted (I guess it was a "smart quote"
              originally) too late, while I was doing the checkin.

              I did do a test of checking out using the CVS command line (I can't
              remember if I was in Jaguar or Panther), but I didn't get any errors.

              > Using MacCVS Pro 3.0a3 (Carbon), it fails to
              > check out that directory and only retrieves a
              > file called "Ner".
              >
              > When I turned off the "Use UTF-8 filenames"
              > option (default: on) in the session settings, the
              > directory and associated files were checked out
              > properly.

              I am using MacCVS Pro v2.7d3, and I didn't have any problems.

              I will do some more checking; but that's what I need - reports from
              other users, particularly from Windows or other platforms.

              Regards, Terry