Status

  • gregmtnbike
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      I'm a lurker here and was wondering how this project is progressing. I used Frontier for a
      while when it was free. The syntax made more sense to my engineering mind than
      AppleScript. But I abandoned it long ago because the glues never seemed to work well
      enough--that is. I couldn't figure out how to get apps to do what i wanted.

      Obviously people are working hard here, but the discussions are too esoteric for me to
      understand the status and what the goals are.

      Will the current product be useful as an AS replacement? What are the goals with respect to
      scripting? In the past also got confused by the Swiss Army knife approach--outliner, content
      management, HTML page building, database, etc.--probably good things if you understood
      them, but to an amateur confusing,
    • Karsten Wolf
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2005
        Hi Greg,

        Am 01.09.2005 um 23:50 schrieb gregmtnbike:

        > I'm a lurker here and was wondering how this project is progressing. I
        > used Frontier for a
        > while when it was free. The syntax made more sense to my engineering
        > mind than
        > AppleScript. But I abandoned it long ago because the glues never
        > seemed to work well
        > enough--that is. I couldn't figure out how to get apps to do what i
        > wanted.
        I just started reading Matt Neuburgs "AppleScript - The Definitive
        Guide" and in the preface it says: "AppleScript as implemented by
        particular applications is a massive, encyclopedic subject. It would be
        easy to write an entire book of techniques, tricks, and tips for
        scripting just one major application."

        I'm using Frontier to script 3 major apps. Two of them extensively and
        one still learning. It takes time...

        > Obviously people are working hard here, but the discussions are too
        > esoteric for me to
        > understand the status and what the goals are.

        I can only speak for myself. In descending order:

        - debug. Have a look at

        and

        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=687801&group_id=120666&func=browse

        - stuff the memory leaks

        - get the AppleEvent support up to date

        - some new datatypes (64-bit ints, FSRefs, Unicode strings)

        - Real Threads (that's way beyond the horizon...)

        > Will the current product be useful as an AS replacement? What are the
        > goals with respect to
        > scripting? In the past also got confused by the Swiss Army knife
        > approach--outliner, content
        > management, HTML page building, database, etc.--probably good things
        > if you understood
        > them, but to an amateur confusing,
        That's a philosophical question. As you said, some people, like me too,
        prefer UserTalk over AppleScript. I do my best to keep it that way.

        For the HTML building stuff: I never got that.

        -karsten