Feasibility of a Linux port?

  • mcdtracy
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2005
      Can anyone comment on the feasibility of a Linux port for the Frontier
      kernel?

      Are their any GUI API's for Linux that might allow the Windows code to
      be compiled?

      Any advice would be appreciated... even if it's just unfeasible.
      If anyone is working on a port please speak up.

      McD
    • Terry Teague
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2005
        --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "mcdtracy" <mcdtracy@y...> wrote:
        > Can anyone comment on the feasibility of a Linux port for the Frontier
        > kernel?
        >
        > Are their any GUI API's for Linux that might allow the Windows code to
        > be compiled?
        >
        > Any advice would be appreciated... even if it's just unfeasible.
        > If anyone is working on a port please speak up.

        I think it is going to be difficult and some time away. We need to find or write an open
        source portable cross-platform replacement for the PAIGE proprietary library (Mac OS and
        Windows only) and/or untangle the UI code from the pure kernel code. I have tried looking
        for solutions that would resolve the PAIGE issue, but so far no luck.

        One possibility might be WINE - I have made some preliminary progress on porting
        Frontier to Darwine (WINE for Darwin/Mac OS X).

        If you want to try untangling the UI code from the pure kernel code, that work would be
        appreciated...

        > McD

        Regards, Terry
      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2005
          Terry, clearly WINE is the solution.

          Before Frontier was open source, several times in fact, people were
          able to get the binary to run reasonably under WINE.

          Now that the source is out there, it seems a much more satisfactory
          result should be possible.

          Dave

          --- In frontierkernel@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Teague"